Author Topic: Amazon $5 bil co-HQ's in play  (Read 14908 times)

CityLife

Re: Amazon $5 bil co-HQ's in play
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2017, 10:18:18 AM »
Weather is absolutely a factor in where people live. Of course it isn't the only factor, but it does matter. There's a reason the word snowbird exists....

I think it also may play a role in the Amazon relocation as well.  I suspect that if Amazon relocates to a warmer place like Austin, Atlanta, or Florida, many of their execs and senior employees would either live half the year in both places, or at minimum would spend a month here and there at the warmer location. These are people that can easily afford two homes. Likewise, the senior employees that would be based at the warmer location, would be able to spend summer vacations in the mountains or Europe like many well off Floridians and Atlantans already do.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2017, 10:19:17 AM »
Intensity of cold or heat is irrelevant indoors... Outdoors when it it hot and humid... there is only so much you can do to cool off and even then the sweat is still pouring off you.  In the cold... you just add layers to stay warm.  Too warm?  remove a layer... too cold?  add one.
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2017, 10:35:20 AM »
Hot vs cold weather wasn't identified as a factor in Amazon's search for HQ2. They're not coming to an Atlanta if it proposes a $2 billion incentive package and a place like Chicago or Boston counters with $5 billion. Their preference is a place that will make it rain free money, property and tax incentives for their business.  From that perspective, every large scale metropolitan area from Toronto, Chicago and Boston to Atlanta, Dallas and Miami may be in the game.   
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

CityLife

« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2017, 10:40:09 AM »
Hot vs cold weather wasn't identified as a factor in Amazon's search for HQ2. They're not coming to an Atlanta if it proposes a $2 billion incentive package and a place like Chicago or Boston counters with $5 billion. Their preference is a place that will make it rain free money, property and tax incentives for their business.  From that perspective, every large scale metropolitan area from Toronto, Chicago and Boston to Atlanta, Dallas and Miami may be in the game.

One of the 8 "decision drivers/key preferences"

Community/Quality of Life – The Project requires a significant number of employees. We want to invest in a community where our employees will enjoy living, recreational opportunities, educational opportunities, and an overall high quality of life. Tell us what is unique about your community.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2017, 10:42:17 AM »
South Florida has tossed its name in the mix:

South Florida hopes to persuade Seattle-based Amazon that it is the perfect location for the online shipping giant’s second North American headquarters, an eight-million-square-foot, 50,000-employee campus.

Economic development leaders say landing the $5 billion development would be transformational for South Florida, creating an “international technology hub” with all the ancillary businesses that would follow the company to the region. They have decided a team effort is needed to beat out the heavy competition from across the country and Canada, so the Beacon Council Miami-Dade, the Greater Fort Lauderdale Alliance in Broward and the Business Development Board of Palm Beach County are putting together a joint proposal, the Sun Sentinel reported.

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/article174711856.html

Both Miami and Ft Lauderdale's business development groups announced they were bidding over a week ago. Palm Beach announced a few days later. Jax is really one of just a few top 75 MSAs whose business or city leaders still haven't said anything.

I checked the RFP again and in the very first paragraph it says:
...submit one (1) RFP for your MSA. The RFP may contain
multiple real estate sites in more than one jurisdiction, but we do encourage you to submit your best...
I took that to mean that they want the entities within one MSA to coordinate, not all submit separate proposals. That said, I guess that guideline is pretty much impossible to adhere to for most nonconsolidated regions.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2017, 10:47:47 AM »
Their preference is a place that will make it rain free money, property and tax incentives for their business. 

I dont think this is the end-all for their decision. Just a hunch but I believe they want a major commitment from their future site, but not necessarily in terms of tax breaks. Their continued emphasis on creative thinking suggests that they would welcome commitment to significant investments that would help a community meet their needs. Ie, significant investment into mass transit, into luring more tech professionals, into improving educational infrastructure, etc. I think there are many ways to skin this cat...although you still have to be in the same ballpark tax-wise.

CityLife

« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2017, 10:54:34 AM »
Their preference is a place that will make it rain free money, property and tax incentives for their business. 

I dont think this is the end-all for their decision. Just a hunch but I believe they want a major commitment from their future site, but not necessarily in terms of tax breaks. Their continued emphasis on creative thinking suggests that they would welcome commitment to significant investments that would help a community meet their needs. Ie, significant investment into mass transit, into luring more tech professionals, into improving educational infrastructure, etc. I think there are many ways to skin this cat...although you still have to be in the same ballpark tax-wise.

Correct. They will likely do a weighted matrix to evaluate multiple criteria they are looking at. I'm sure only Amazon will know how heavily each criteria is weighted.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2017, 12:20:03 PM »

I'd say, assuming the community is one that meets the basic criteria identified for their operations, it will be about 90% of it.  Foxconn just got a $3 billion incentive package for its Wisconsin plant and the 13,000 jobs they'll create. To have a chance at HQ2, you're going to have to offer up a lot more than that. The whole concept puts struggling metropolitan areas at a significant disadvantage. So, all those other ways to skin a cat will, like weather, may add up to about 10%. If the goal is to help a community that really needs it, this wouldn't be the right approach to take.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 12:22:21 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2017, 06:17:11 PM »
So, all those other ways to skin a cat will, like weather, may add up to about 10%. If the goal is to help a community that really needs it, this wouldn't be the right approach to take.

We'll disagree then. Add that to the short list with the Heat and Canes.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2017, 07:59:48 PM »
 Unfortunately for you, you're going to hate the next few months. Both the Canes and the Heat are going to be good this year.

MusicMan

« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2017, 08:37:05 AM »
DOES ANYONE KNOW, ARE WE (COJ) SUBMITTING A BID/PROPOSAL?

Captain Zissou

« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2017, 09:20:18 AM »
DOES ANYONE KNOW, ARE WE (COJ) SUBMITTING A BID/PROPOSAL?

Rather than sitting on the shift key, why not do something productive and email someone at the city?

Beloki

« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2017, 10:39:49 AM »

Papa33

« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2017, 02:01:59 PM »
Haven't heard a peep from the Mayor's Office.  It's as if Curry has all his eggs in the Kahn/Shipyards basket and he can't see anything else.

MusicMan

« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2017, 04:03:42 PM »
I did Captain. Did you? 

Actually called them, too. First day it was announced.

Because my e-mail got sent back. Spoke with his Director of PR or Communications.

But have not seen anything in the press regarding COJ taking action, so........