Author Topic: Amazon $5 bil co-HQ's in play  (Read 6281 times)

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
Re: Amazon $5 bil co-HQ's in play
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2017, 05:39:54 AM »
So basically it's anyone's guess. IMO the supposed 'lofty criteria to get a company etc' is highly overanalyzed. They said that Jax wasn't supposed to have a NFL team, Super Bowl, certain companies etc etc etc... I'm not saying that Jax is gonna get this HQ, but often it comes down to some big wigs meeting discreetly; something is telling me that some upstart light rail in some city somewhere is the last thing on their minds.
It will come down to what cities meet their criteria while also offering them the highest amount of incentives.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2017, 11:33:44 AM »
Your City Will Lose the Contest for Amazon’s New HQ

No town truly fulfills the company’s demanding wish list.

For decades, American cities and states have been competing to dismantle the high-tax postwar social model to win increasingly mobile jobs from their peers. This practice leaves the losers smarting from a diminished sense of self—hello, Hartford, Connecticut—while the winner loads the tax burden of its new prize pig onto existing citizens and businesses. It rewards corporations for being flighty, faithless partners to cities and punishes small and local businesses that cannot make credible threats to secure their own incentive packages.

The news that Amazon needs a second headquarters, announced on Thursday, will set off a competition like we have never seen for mayors and governors to pimp out their cities to the Seattle-based supercompany.

It is a one-of-a-kind, six-week sweepstakes, with a $5 billion HQ up for grabs. Nothing like this has ever happened before. At 8.1 million square feet, constituting nearly 20 percent of Seattle’s Class A office space, Amazon’s Seattle campus simply has no parallels in U.S. cities. The next biggest single urban corporate presence is Citi in New York, with 3.7 million square feet; the next biggest by percentage is Nationwide in Columbus, Ohio, which occupies 16 percent of the city’s office space.

In short, Amazon’s Seattle HQ is an outlier any way you slice it, and it’s about to build the same thing again.

Full Article: http://www.slate.com/articles/business/metropolis/2017/09/your_city_will_lose_the_contest_for_amazon_s_new_hq.html
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

vicupstate

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

FlaBoy

« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2017, 04:31:23 PM »
Realistically, it will be Austin, Dallas, Atlanta, Boston, DC and Toronto in tier 1.

RattlerGator

« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2017, 05:26:59 PM »
To me, there are only three regions in play: DC, Atlanta, or Boston.

They aren't going to Canada (think about the political times, people, and consider the optics), they aren't going to the Central time zone (they're already on the West Coast), and owning the Washington Post puts Baltimore - DC in play when Atlanta or Boston might be the clear leaders.

That said, I think they're going to give Atlanta a chance to prove they *shouldn't* open HQ2 up there. If Atlanta screws up, Baltimore-Washington.

But if I'm Jacksonville, I'm trying to put together a strong presentation that makes them re-think their stated criteria. We have *much* to sell. Try to convince them less is more, flexibility overcomes apparent inadequacies, and insist a logistics giant should want to be not just *the* logistics giant in HQ2 . . . but *the* corporate giant, too.

Charge hard, Mayor Curry, charge hard.

Murder_me_Rachel

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2017, 09:02:05 AM »

But if I'm Jacksonville, I'm trying to put together a strong presentation that makes them re-think their stated criteria. We have *much* to sell. Try to convince them less is more, flexibility overcomes apparent inadequacies, and insist a logistics giant should want to be not just *the* logistics giant in HQ2 . . . but *the* corporate giant, too.

Charge hard, Mayor Curry, charge hard.

No. No. No. No. No x 100000000000.  These greedy assholes aren't looking for us to "sell" them anything other than a huge tax break giveaway.  No. No. No. No. No.  Amazon can take their corporate welfare and warehouse exploitation jobs and get bent.  They are counting on responses like the above, "Golly gee! THE Amazon wants to come here? Throw the house at them, who cares if we are getting fleeced?!? It's AMAZON."

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2017, 09:30:37 AM »
Someone will be willing to get fleeced big time.  It's not every day that a proposal to add 50,000 high paying jobs comes along.  This isn't your average one-trick pony situation.  Cities will easily offer up their soul and future to Bezos.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 04:30:32 PM by thelakelander »

FlaBoy

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2017, 01:06:25 PM »
I'll say this, if they do provide finalists, say a top 16 cities similar to the Olympics (lol), it would be good press to get on that list.

Either Charlotte or Raleigh-Durham may also be in the mix with the quality of the research universities there. I do think Tampa, Orlando, and Miami should also be thrown into the mix. I will say, ATL, Austin or Dallas, Boston, and DC/Baltimore suburbs in Maryland make the most sense. I think the big worry for Boston or DC would be the cost of living just being out of this world with Amazon entering the market. That may be a reason to go to an ATL, Dallas, or another mid-range metro.

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2017, 01:22:38 PM »
Tampa and Miami just got taken off the list by Irma.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2017, 02:22:35 PM »
Bloomberg article revealed insiders stating that executives are pushing hard for Boston. In fact there was a move to explore a Boston expansion a year or two ago. The article also stated that among midlevel associates, the consensus is for a cheaper, more suburban, probably southern destination like Austin. To many of these employees, Seattle is too expensive, too dreary, and perhaps too busy, and a relo to Boston would be more of the same.

I for one believe that they are sincere in considering all options, and I don't think any one city has more than a 5:1 shot at this point. Will come down to incentives, site location, and how those two primary factors fit into a larger overall fit.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #40 on: September 13, 2017, 04:34:18 PM »
If I had to put money on it, it will be someplace like Austin, Dallas, Atlanta or Charlotte. Cheap, meets most of their general criteria, quality-of-life differs from Seattle, and comes with the ability to toss out crazy incentive packages Amazon's way.

vicupstate

« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2017, 06:09:45 AM »
^^
I could see Atlanta getting it xomewhat by default but either of those other cities by out-bidding the competition. Charlotte could use it to narrow the gap between it and Atlanta, something it has always wanted to do.
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

FlaBoy

« Reply #42 on: September 14, 2017, 09:52:10 AM »
If I had to put money on it, it will be someplace like Austin, Dallas, Atlanta or Charlotte. Cheap, meets most of their general criteria, quality-of-life differs from Seattle, and comes with the ability to toss out crazy incentive packages Amazon's way.

Austin and ATL as the favorites. I do think Raleigh-Durham with the quality of research university talent in the general area (Duke, UNC, NC State and Wake Forest). This may be enough for the folks really pushing for Boston for the Harvard, MIT, BU, BC, etc., easy talent connection. They could own the area, the area's talent, and also have a pretty vibrant start up community around them. They could be right at the door step of the State Capitol. Raleigh is also two hours from the beach, and about three to the mountains.

Tacachale

« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2017, 10:44:27 AM »
I doubt anywhere in Texas if they want an East Coast center. It'll go to whichever city bends over the farthest with incentives.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

FlaBoy

« Reply #44 on: September 14, 2017, 10:51:35 AM »
I doubt anywhere in Texas if they want an East Coast center. It'll go to whichever city bends over the farthest with incentives.

It could be a southern and more centralized center. They didn't really specify.