Author Topic: Confederate statue in Hemming Park defaced  (Read 3601 times)

MEGATRON

• MEGATRON IS THE TRUE RULER OF CYBERTRON
Re: Confederate statue in Hemming Park defaced
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2017, 12:37:22 PM »
As far as Kaiser Wilhelm is concerned - yeah, he was a dick. Like most European imperialists. That's a whole other kettle of fish. But maybe, if there are any memorials to Kaiser Wilhelm II in Tanzania or something, they should be taken down. We should probably leave that to the Tanzanians to decide.
How is it another kettle of fish?  He enslaved people and did so more recently than anyone in our country.
PEACE THROUGH TYRANNY

Gunnar

« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2017, 01:10:02 PM »
I would say no more or less that in other colonies, and you could argue that working conditions in US owned plantations across central and South America were factual slavery well into the 1920s, i.e. after WW1.
I want to live in a society where people can voice unpopular opinions because I know that as a result of that, a society grows and matures...” — Hugh Hefner

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2017, 01:21:11 PM »
As far as Kaiser Wilhelm is concerned - yeah, he was a dick. Like most European imperialists. That's a whole other kettle of fish. But maybe, if there are any memorials to Kaiser Wilhelm II in Tanzania or something, they should be taken down. We should probably leave that to the Tanzanians to decide.
How is it another kettle of fish?  He enslaved people and did so more recently than anyone in our country.

Another kettle of fish because it's creeping into the whole argument about "do we remove statues of important statespeople who have mixed legacies".

But also another kettle of fish because the people he oppressed are abroad. They should be the ones removing the statues where they are. That's the issue with the CSA memorials. They are offensive to the people who have to look at them daily. Do you not get that?

“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #33 on: September 07, 2017, 01:21:55 PM »
I would say no more or less that in other colonies, and you could argue that working conditions in US owned plantations across central and South America were factual slavery well into the 1920s, i.e. after WW1.

Slavery didn't really end until the civil rights movement of the 1960s.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2017, 03:08:11 PM »
Have you guys ever been to Germany? What is the most striking thing to me is how they have all these statues of Hitler and Nazi soldiers all over the country.  Sure, they were terrible people who ruined the country, but it helps Germany remember their history and honor their military. 

Interesting that you mentioned this. I had a similar conversation with someone here about Dachau (the concentration camp just outside of Munich). I was there last year and it was definitely one of the hardest things to see that I've ever visited. One of the memories that I'll always have of it was the wall that was erected that says "Never Again" in Hebrew, French, English, German, and Russian.

Personally, my feeling on Hemming Park is this: If the Germans can keep Dachau and turn it into a memorial and a monument to the horrific acts of the holocaust, we can do something like that with Hemming Park. Build a monument in the park (heck, build it taller than the soldier) as a monument. Say on it, "Never Again Shall Human Beings be treated as anything but Equals" or something better written than I just wrote.

It would have been understandable for the Germans to demolish everything that was Dachau (and in fact they did demolish a lot - some of the site was rebuilt). Most of the most awful things there still stand (like the Gas Chamber). But, they left it.

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2017, 09:06:46 AM »
Absolutely.  I also don't see new monuments going up around here.  By the way, plenty of monuments to Wilhelm II who was ruthless towards African tribes.
Here specifically?  Perhaps not.  But in the US?  Yes, we are still naming schools and raising monuments on public grounds.