Author Topic: Jacksonville a "host" city for World Cup 2026?  (Read 1100 times)

TimmyB

• T
Jacksonville a "host" city for World Cup 2026?
« on: August 15, 2017, 08:47:17 PM »
I know the chances aren't great, but if Detroit can be one in the 90's, why not?

http://jacksonville.com/sports/2017-08-15/jacksonville-named-candidate-city-2026-world-cup

ProjectMaximus

Re: Jacksonville a "host" city for World Cup 2026?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 11:27:13 PM »
I know the chances aren't great, but if Detroit can be one in the 90's, why not?

http://jacksonville.com/sports/2017-08-15/jacksonville-named-candidate-city-2026-world-cup

Someone else posted an ESPN article about this in another thread. I like how Jax is one of 6 potential sites for the opening and championship matches. By default as the venue must have 80k or more capacity. Most likely it would go to Dallas, LA or NJ)

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 02:53:27 AM »

How's it going....Tim Berkey!  ;D
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 09:00:55 AM »

Great, Adam!  How about you?  You'll come back to see a WC match in your hometown, right?

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 09:28:33 AM »

Great, Adam!  How about you?  You'll come back to see a WC match in your hometown, right?

I saw you were the lone commenter on that article! That's how I cracked the "TimmyB" code.

I'm okay - having all sorts of issues with the house we bought, though. I expect to be in Jax in December. If Jax does host some WC matches, I just might come over to attend one or two - or even just soak up the atmosphere. The Super Bowl was such a great weekend - and I didn't go to the game. A WC match or two would be amazing.

How are things with you? When are you moving to Jax (or has that already happened)?
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 11:23:34 AM »

I saw you were the lone commenter on that article! That's how I cracked the "TimmyB" code.

I'm okay - having all sorts of issues with the house we bought, though. I expect to be in Jax in December. If Jax does host some WC matches, I just might come over to attend one or two - or even just soak up the atmosphere. The Super Bowl was such a great weekend - and I didn't go to the game. A WC match or two would be amazing.

How are things with you? When are you moving to Jax (or has that already happened)?

Yeah, I don't try to hide my identity at all!  TimmyB was what my father called me when I was a little boy so I use that for most of my sites.  :)

Seven (long) weeks until we move down.  The only thing that makes it tolerable is, we are going to STL for three days for the eclipse and the Grand Canyon for a week in September.  Haven't been to either place.  Then, we'll be in our new place on the 1st of October and I'll be at wherever I need to be in Florida to change my address to a resident!

It would be so cool for Jax to get a few games.  Detroit was a craphole in the 90's and they pulled it off.  They had to truck in giant hexagons of sod to make the Silverdome have a grass field!  If they can do it, there's no reason Jacksonville can't.  I'm pretty sure ATL and Orlando will be the more "natural" draws, though, especially Atlanta with the way their fans have come out for the new team there.  I'm running a race there in October so I got tickets to see Toronto that night in the new MB stadium.  Should be pretty cool.

JaxVision

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 04:12:29 PM »
Obviously Jax will probably be knocked off the list quickly with much more capable cities out there but it is cool to think about hosting such a major event. Our infrastructure would have to go under some changes in order to compete with places like ORL, ATL, MIA and even Tampa. The airport alone would need more flights and probably finally add the long awaited concourse B that is on the back burner right now.

Those other cities also have the hotel rooms and transportation to accommodate the mass crowds from all over the world, this is different than hosting a Super Bowl and we didn't even have the rooms for that. The only way to make an appeal to FIFA is to make this a North Florida Bid and have hotels, transportation and stadiums in Amelia Island, Ponte Vedra/St. Aug and of course Jax. It is again a pipe dream but it can be done, the shipyards could be done by then which is a mass draw for rooms/entertainment etc, the Elbow and Doro district would also add to entertainment, the district area would be done by then hopefully and that also adds hotels and entertainment. The other counties are growing and have plans for entertainment and hotels in their own right so those help too.

As far as transportation goes, we could have the transportation hub fully done and possible JTA expansions on both sides of the river and to the stadium district ( the big pipe dream would be to have the All Aboard Train connect to all of Fl then each city could host but thats another convo. ) The stadium issue is manageable actually, we have Everbank which would be the main stadium, we have enough practice fields at UNF, JU, Jags fields, and Armada practice site. The three counties ( Nassau, St John, Duval) could partner  together and build a temporary stadium off 9B or somewhere near Golf Village, also build one out in Nassau County close to the Duval line. World Cup events are common to be spread out and have teams drive to stadiums, there are also companies who make temporary soccer stadiums for events like this.

With new entertainment and hotel options, the arena and convention center for fan fest, practice fields, and three stadiums North Florida could draw up a legitimate bid. We have more land and that means more room for stadiums and people to go. It would cost money ( a lot of it and Jax is notorious for not wanting to spend )  but if you want to go for it you have to spend it, is it a long shot? Absolutely, its a pipedream but dreams do come true......Temporary stadiums are used in World Cups, it is very common to do this and they can take under a year to build so the stadium issue is not a problem, it is more of would FIFA see N FL as a legitimate host.

remc86007

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 04:42:56 PM »
Speaking of improvements - since the event is not till 2026, maybe Mr. Kahn would write us a letter of recommendation and give assurances that shipyards will be built out? haha

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 04:50:16 PM »
Obviously Jax will probably be knocked off the list quickly with much more capable cities out there but it is cool to think about hosting such a major event. Our infrastructure would have to go under some changes in order to compete with places like ORL, ATL, MIA and even Tampa. The airport alone would need more flights and probably finally add the long awaited concourse B that is on the back burner right now.

Why would we need 3 stadiums? And fwiw Jax was on the "short list" last time around, when US was bidding for the 2018 and 2022 Cups. Jax actually made it past the first 2 cuts and was part of the final 27 cities. It was a pipe dream then and not too much has changed, but just saying that I've at least had this dream before lol.

Here's an article from 2009...

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/03/17/13/26/27-cities-chosen-for-world-cup-bid