Author Topic: Pizza Palace Closed  (Read 2019 times)

exnewsman

Pizza Palace Closed
« on: August 11, 2017, 02:26:26 PM »
I hadn't heard this anywhere... but went to the Pizza Palace in San Marco this week.. closed for good. Something called Seafood Island will replace it. The folks at the Beach Diner next door said it all happened very quickly. One day it was open and the next day they were told it was closing for good. Signs on the door says they were open 27 years.

Tacachale

Re: Pizza Palace Closed
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 02:45:00 PM »
^Saw that. Yeah, it's been kind of an institution in the square. I think they did better back before there were so many other food options in San Marco. It's much harder to compete now. It also couldn't have been cheap to rent 2 storefronts; it's been a long time since I saw their entire dining area actually full.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 02:52:06 PM »
I thought their pizza was fine but surprised it lasted this long.It never seemed very busy.

A casual seafood place would be welcome. Please don't be a Gene's.

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 07:01:16 PM »
I think this is part of the MJ Board fallout. If they had continued their weekly meetings there this never would have happened.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 12:19:59 AM »
LMAO!
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Bativac

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2017, 07:56:08 PM »
Not shocking - the place was rarely busy and frankly the pizza wasn't great, nor was the service. There are much better pizza options in the area. As long as a decent restaurant replaces it (and I can't imagine a vacancy in that strip lasting very long, even if whatever moves in flops) then no real harm done. Hopefully everyone employed by Pizza Palace can find gigs elsewhere.

David

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2017, 10:09:34 PM »
I had the same experience, went there the other day and it was closed. For thin NY style slices they provided a serviceable option. Carmine's is good and Al's is ok, but for a 6 dollar lunch Pizza Palace wasn't bad at all. What other options are available near downtown/san marco for those who just want a greasy NY style slice?

MusicMan

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 10:01:23 PM »
Vino's on San Marco. Cheap and fast. $6.99 large cheese is ready in short order.

Across from Bistro Aix.  Not sure if they sell by the slice but I think they do.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 10:05:18 PM by MusicMan »

remc86007

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 03:08:29 PM »
Apparently it is going to be Seafood Express and More. Has anybody been to one of their other locations?

I think I went to the one on the Southside many years ago when I was at UNF. I'm not sure that it was the same business back then. I don't remember much about it good or bad. From what I recall, it was a fry everything kind of place. I'm not sure how that fits in with San Marco Square...but I guess we will find out.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 03:23:33 PM »
I've been to Seafood Express a few times over the years.  It's not an upscale place but neither is Beach Diner or Firehouse Subs. From what I recall, you can get your seafood fried there but you don't have to.  What I remember most is that they have a pretty extensive menu with dishes like alligator tail on it.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Kiva

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 05:11:15 PM »
Their shrimp and oysters are fried, but fish you can have fried, grilled or blackened. http://seafoodexpressandmore.com/Menu.html#Sandwich_Plates