Author Topic: Times Union Sold  (Read 2488 times)

acme54321

Re: Times Union Sold
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 01:44:39 PM »
Anyone else have their posts pulled on Jacksonville.com?

Why oh why would anyone pull your posts?

Josh

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 01:50:05 PM »
Anyone else have their posts pulled on Jacksonville.com?

Why oh why would anyone pull your posts?

Cuz he reads like a bot.

river4340

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 10:16:23 PM »
Local papers and local TV news only have a couple of assets to work with.

High School Sports
Investigative Reporting (usually focused around politics.)

Everything else is newswire or newsfeed based and that can be obtained electronically.

Yeah, that seems like a pretty bizarre opinion to me, too. No offense, but it seems to speak more to your lack of interest in a wide variety of things than it does the limited offerings of local news.

No offense taken, but it is a pretty broad remark based on a couple of sentences. "Bizarre" is a stephendare term. Been a while since anyone has used it around here.

I actually have a extremely broad sense of interests which can be met electronically or going to libraries and bookstores.  In my experience here in Jacksonville local news only meets the above.

You should have asked me where else I get my information instead of making a judgement so quickly.

So how do you find out about, say, local business news? Or follow the Josh Phillips court case that's going on now? Or read a great feature about black and white boy scouts coming together in the time of segregation?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 07:40:59 AM by river4340 »

spuwho

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 09:33:03 AM »
Local papers and local TV news only have a couple of assets to work with.

High School Sports
Investigative Reporting (usually focused around politics.)

Everything else is newswire or newsfeed based and that can be obtained electronically.

Yeah, that seems like a pretty bizarre opinion to me, too. No offense, but it seems to speak more to your lack of interest in a wide variety of things than it does the limited offerings of local news.

No offense taken, but it is a pretty broad remark based on a couple of sentences. "Bizarre" is a stephendare term. Been a while since anyone has used it around here.

I actually have a extremely broad sense of interests which can be met electronically or going to libraries and bookstores.  In my experience here in Jacksonville local news only meets the above.

You should have asked me where else I get my information instead of making a judgement so quickly.

So how do you find out about, say, local business news? Or follow the Josh Phillips court case that's going on now? Or read a great feature about black and white boy scouts coming together in the time of segregation?

JBJ, Daily Record for local biz.

As forJosh Philips and Cub Scouts, now you are asking where my interests reside versus where I get my information.

river4340

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 10:18:26 AM »
JBJ and Daily Record are local newspapers

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 10:28:31 AM »

Really?  Who knew??
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 10:38:57 AM »

Really?  Who knew??
I think he was stating that because Spuwho said you only get high school sports and investigative news/local politics with local newspapers and then proceeded to mention local newspapers as his source for business, legal and social news when prompted.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 11:02:00 AM »

Really?  Who knew??
I think he was stating that because Spuwho said you only get high school sports and investigative news/local politics with local newspapers and then proceeded to mention local newspapers as his source for business, legal and social news when prompted.

Thanks Jim... Spuwho is one of the most well read, well informed posters on this site.  He is well aware of the local newspapers and their content/quality.  Not sure where river was going though...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

spuwho

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 12:29:08 PM »
Ok, lets parse a little.

The T-U is a daily general news publication. So it covers a range of topics on the local, regional and national level.

To me its news value is high school sports and local investigative reporting,of which much is politically based ( like the Keane pension scandal)

That is where the value ends for me.

JBJ is a trade journal which has a strictly business focus. It does not cover sports or does investigative journalism.

The Daily Record is technically for the recording of legal transactions that require local publication. Its "news" comes from only a few sources.

Duval County Clerk
Press Releases
Karen Brune Mathis

Ms Mathis used to be at the T-U and had a great column on the local biz scene until she left.

That leaves local TV.

Perhaps its my experience with local TV in other cities, Ihave watched all of them and probably only WJXT comes close.  The rest are good for 2 things. Sports and Investigative Reporting, usually involving a talking skirt sticking their mic in the face of a restaurant owner where 2 roaches were found.

Anything they get off the national news wires I read several hours prior via a Google news feed.

Some of the TV reporting seems to come from the "Odd News" websites where a cat saved the baby from an attack of a raccoon with rabies. Video at 11.

The rest seems to be the "if it bleeds, it leads" realm. No follow ups, no investigation, unless JSO spoon feeds it.
Where is the journalism on the sources of gun violence? Where is the research on the family origins in Jax on high death frequencies?

How many calls to the media were made about Eureka Gardens before it was reported? The mayor and Marco Rubio had to come before anyone else did.

What else do I read?

On average i read about 30-40 publications a week, and probably another 40 monthlies on top of any web research.

Agree or disagree, it seems to work for me.

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 12:46:19 PM »

That leaves local TV.

Perhaps its my experience with local TV in other cities, Ihave watched all of them and probably only WJXT comes close.  The rest are good for 2 things. Sports and Investigative Reporting, usually involving a talking skirt sticking their mic in the face of a restaurant owner where 2 roaches were found.

C'mon. A little harsh. What about Ken Amaro? He fights for us. When the evil doer doesn't return his phone call, sometimes he even calls again.

spuwho

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2017, 01:42:53 PM »

That leaves local TV.

C'mon. A little harsh. What about Ken Amaro? He fights for us. When the evil doer doesn't return his phone call, sometimes he even calls again.

Ken is the exception hence the reason I said "usually".

But he is more of a consumer advocate than an investigative journalist. In other words I dont think you will find him investigating city hall unless someone cant get their garbage picked up.

I dont mean to be harsh, honestly.

I grew up in Chicago in the 1970's where TV journalism was so competitive as was the newspapers. In fact the Chicago Tribune was doing some political corruption reporting and I emailed them a lead a few years ago. The reporter emailed me back in 2m and wanted my phone number and peoples names to interview. (Yes, Project Maximus!)

I sent a text on a fire in progress here in Jax to a TV station and they said thanks and would you text back with a photo. I was like huh? Get your lazy butts out there and cover it! It was a serious fire!

Its just more laid back around here.