Author Topic: New DT coffeshop  (Read 2393 times)

JaxJersey-licious

New DT coffeshop
« on: August 06, 2017, 04:28:10 PM »
A friend mentioned that a coffee shop opened in the old Grease Rags clothing store on Monroe called the Coniferous Cafe that actually stays open in the evening and holds numerous events. Has anyone been there or would like to check it out or have any additional insight on this place?

If this is really a thing then I'm puzzled why I haven't heard a peep about this in this forum. We all know an important key to the success of the core is having services and events happening after traditional business hours and if there is any way we can encourage these entrepreneurs  then we should.

ronchamblin

Re: New DT coffeshop
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 06:25:32 PM »
It is a neat place.  I will suggest to either Siddie or Avi that they post some info on MJ.  Yes … they seem opened on most nights, and do have various evening events … music, discussions etc.

They just rented the adjacent space and will expand to it.  One of their objectives is to encourage and develop co-ops .. offering assistance in doing so.  They promote for the most part progressive thinking, and I believe they supported Sanders, as did I.

At the cafe / bookstore around the corner on Laura, we stay open only on Wednesday night .. till nine, and do only a very little business.  This allows some customers to pick up books, as their work schedules do  not allow pick ups before we close at five.  Early next year, we plan to open the newly renovated place next to the bookstore ... and will experiment with late nights every night.  Perhaps with this, and Siddie's and Avi's place opening every night, we can gather a little momentum on night activity in the afea.   

The people there are pleasant and on top of things.  I visit when I can, and we discuss this and that concerning the issues of the average worker.  Unions.  Co-ops.  Eugene Debs.  Small business dynamics.  The coffee is good too.

Jomar

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 09:25:26 AM »
Interesting timing, I just heard about Coniferous Cafe for the first time this morning on WJCT while driving in to work.  Looking forward to checking it out!

remc86007

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 12:32:37 PM »
I tried to try it this morning before work, but apparently they don't open till 10AM (walked around the corner and went to Chamblin's instead). Surely opening at 7:30 would pay for itself? I'll try it sometime during their operating hours.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 12:43:31 PM »
I've been meaning to stop by but they open a few hours later than my morning coffee run. So I'll have to catch them one day after work.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

remc86007

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 07:25:39 PM »
Tried it tonight. The coffee is good. It is Martin Coffee so it's both local and predictable. The place looks nice inside; it reminds me of a lot of the more progressive places I saw when I was in Tallahassee. They appeared to be preparing for an event tonight, chairs were setup and ten or so people were standing around talking.

I'll definitely go back, especially since they seem to be the only late-night downtown coffee shop.

remc86007

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 08:11:48 PM »
Just found out tonight that they plan on opening at 7AM starting next week! I've been several times and the service and coffee have been wonderful. I don't think they'll supplant Social Grounds as my morning coffee, but I'll definitely be going back on the days I work late.

Siddie

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2017, 02:22:35 PM »
Hey everyone! My name is Siddie, I work at the Cafe and handle most of our social media and web stuff.

Thanks so much for starting a thread for us! We are excited to be part of the downtown community and neighbors to Ron and the gang.

We have adjusted our hours a bit since this thread; the Cafe is now open Monday-Friday from 7a - 6p (we stay open until 10p when there are events programmed) and then Saturday and Sunday from 12p - 6p (again, we stay open late if there is programming happening in our new venue space)

You can check out an up to date calendar of events or shop our infoshop wares via our website https://coniferous.cafe
We love to host our community for special events, if you have a trade or a book or something you want to share we would love to have you. You can submit pitches for events via our website on the Events page.

We have a crowdfunder running to help us root in with our new venue and there is a short and sweet video that should give you a feel for the space. -> https://www.gofundme.com/coniferous-cafe-expansion <-

Thanks again for mentioning us and please let us know how we can improve.

All the best,
 Siddie

Tacachale

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2017, 02:43:44 PM »
Hey everyone! My name is Siddie, I work at the Cafe and handle most of our social media and web stuff.

Thanks so much for starting a thread for us! We are excited to be part of the downtown community and neighbors to Ron and the gang.

We have adjusted our hours a bit since this thread; the Cafe is now open Monday-Friday from 7a - 6p (we stay open until 10p when there are events programmed) and then Saturday and Sunday from 12p - 6p (again, we stay open late if there is programming happening in our new venue space)

You can check out an up to date calendar of events or shop our infoshop wares via our website https://coniferous.cafe
We love to host our community for special events, if you have a trade or a book or something you want to share we would love to have you. You can submit pitches for events via our website on the Events page.

We have a crowdfunder running to help us root in with our new venue and there is a short and sweet video that should give you a feel for the space. -> https://www.gofundme.com/coniferous-cafe-expansion <-

Thanks again for mentioning us and please let us know how we can improve.

All the best,
 Siddie

Given any thought to alcohol sales? It might be a helpful stream of revenue for you.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Siddie

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 09:34:39 AM »
Hey Tacachale,

Yes absolutely! We aim to obtain a beer and wine license as soon as possible :)

FlaBoy

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 10:48:36 AM »
Hey Tacachale,

Best of luck! Will have to stop by at some point soon.

Siddie

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2017, 08:24:40 AM »
Hey Tacachale,

Best of luck! Will have to stop by at some point soon.

Please do! Have a great day, hope everyone is enjoying this fantastic weather