Author Topic: Total Solar Eclipse 2017  (Read 3936 times)

remc86007

Re: Total Solar Eclipse 2017
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2017, 03:02:27 PM »
I was downtown and could see a bit of it with glasses, but by the time it "peaked" it was too cloudy to see anything.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2017, 03:11:25 PM »
A few days away... any eclipse plans/parties?  Everyone got their special glasses or... just gonna take a nap...  8)
I noticed some people on the roof of the building next to me, so I glanced out of the window for a split second and went back to work.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2017, 03:45:22 PM »
A few days away... any eclipse plans/parties?  Everyone got their special glasses or... just gonna take a nap...  8)
I noticed some people on the roof of the building next to me, so I glanced out of the window for a split second and went back to work.

Went outside... cloudy and dark like any stormy day... went back in...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2017, 04:16:42 PM »
Also downtown. A lot of us gathered on one of the loading docks to witnesses the clouds eclipsing the eclipse.

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2017, 05:54:42 PM »
I got luckier than that.  This was my view in St. Clair MO. 

David

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2017, 12:50:53 PM »
I saw it from Santee State Park in SC, right on the center line of totality. I have to say, chasing the eclipse was like chasing a storm in reverse. I've only chased 4 hurricanes so i'm not a professional or anything, but this was a similar endeavor, except that I had to chase the sun. Had a hotel in Charleston but it was cloudy there too, so I had to drive 70 miles northwest to get a good view.

Totally worth it. Even with the 9 hour gridlocked drive back down 95 to get home. I will say that unless you're a professional photographer or a scientist, it's best to just observe. My cell phone video and pictures don't do it justice, wish I spent more time looking up instead of trying to capture it, but it was a great experience.

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2017, 01:51:04 PM »
I saw it from Santee State Park in SC, right on the center line of totality. I have to say, chasing the eclipse was like chasing a storm in reverse. I've only chased 4 hurricanes so i'm not a professional or anything, but this was a similar endeavor, except that I had to chase the sun. Had a hotel in Charleston but it was cloudy there too, so I had to drive 70 miles northwest to get a good view.

Totally worth it. Even with the 9 hour gridlocked drive back down 95 to get home. I will say that unless you're a professional photographer or a scientist, it's best to just observe. My cell phone video and pictures don't do it justice, wish I spent more time looking up instead of trying to capture it, but it was a great experience.

Similar for us.  50 minute trip on the Interstate from St Louis to the viewing point, 2.5 hour trip up (mostly) old Route 66 to get back!  Either way, you are correct.  Just sit back and enjoy it.  It happens SO fast, there's no time to waste with gear unless you really know what you're a pro.

remc86007

« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2017, 03:39:00 PM »
I will say that unless you're a professional photographer . . . it's best to just observe.

I think this advice applies to just about all significant events and places. I don't understand why people spend entire concerts, sporting events, etc., that they paid lots of money to go to, trying to record the event. Similarly, I don't understand people who travel to places and then wait in line to get in position to take a picture with their crappy cell phone camera that has been captured by professionals with top of the line equipment countless times.

Gunnar

« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2017, 04:09:32 PM »
I will say that unless you're a professional photographer . . . it's best to just observe.

I think this advice applies to just about all significant events and places. I don't understand why people spend entire concerts, sporting events, etc., that they paid lots of money to go to, trying to record the event.

Yeah, especially since the large majority of cell phones neither has high gain microphones nor a sufficiently good camera to record these events properly.

It feels to me like many people can no longer handle physical reality (or better: have little relationship to it) and prefer conserved reality. Their loss....
I want to live in a society where people can voice unpopular opinions because I know that as a result of that, a society grows and matures...” — Hugh Hefner

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2017, 04:36:09 PM »

I think this advice applies to just about all significant events and places. I don't understand why people spend entire concerts, sporting events, etc., that they paid lots of money to go to, trying to record the event.

Yeah, especially since the large majority of cell phones neither has high gain microphones nor a sufficiently good camera to record these events properly.

It feels to me like many people can no longer handle physical reality (or better: have little relationship to it) and prefer conserved reality. Their loss....

What's even sadder is that 90% of them have their phones out NOT to record the game or concert, but because they are deathly afraid of being disconnected from their friends that are not there with them!

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2017, 05:03:31 PM »

What's even sadder is that 90% of them have their phones out NOT to record the game or concert, but because they are deathly afraid of being disconnected from their friends that are not there with them!

Only to be disconnected with the friends that are....

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams