Author Topic: Total Solar Eclipse 2017  (Read 889 times)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Total Solar Eclipse 2017
« on: July 13, 2017, 08:00:53 AM »
It is going to get very dark in Jacksonville on the afternoon of 21 August.  We will not get a total eclipse here but will be about 90%.  Head to a few miles north of Charleston for a chance to see the total...  We can only hope for an afternoon without thunderstorms...  8)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/zgZnha_S9BQ?ecver=1" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/zgZnha_S9BQ?ecver=1</a>

Here is a link to a PDF map showing the eclipse route, times, and percentages...

https://eclipse2017.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/publications/NASA_map_508.pdf

Here is a link to an interactive Google Earth map of the eclipse...

http://xjubier.free.fr/en/site_pages/solar_eclipses/TSE_2017_GoogleMapFull.html

In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Jim

• MetJax
Re: Total Solar Eclipse 2017
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 09:20:12 AM »
Your second link is the one I always use for eclipse tracking.  I already have my trip planned for just south of Columbia, SC. 

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 09:41:40 AM »
Your second link is the one I always use for eclipse tracking.  I already have my trip planned for just south of Columbia, SC. 

Do you photograph them?
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Jagsdrew

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2017, 09:45:14 AM »
http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/traffic-congestion-predictions-maps-eclipse-august-21-2017

Cool article about the drive times and congestion on the day of the eclipse. A must read if you are considering making the drive to South Carolina. I'm currently considering it.

"1.85 and 7.4 million people will visit the path of totality on eclipse day"
Twitter: @Jagsdrew

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2017, 09:51:33 AM »
Thanks Jagsdrew... never even considered the traffic issues.  Nice map on that website though...

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 10:26:27 AM »

Do you photograph them?
I haven't been to a total before, only partials.  I will definitely be taking pics.   

I have family in Columbia so I'm not worried about traffic or hotels. 

I'm also looking forward to the 2045 eclipse.  Jax is in the path of totality for that one.

spuwho

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2017, 08:42:28 AM »
I watched a partial in my front yard through my neighbors welding mask. This was back in 1971 roughly.  It reached about 60%. It got weirdly dark and the skies got really deep blue.  I only say weirdly because it's not like sunset, it's more like someone turned down the dimmer.

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2017, 03:36:51 PM »
Since we still live in Michigan, we are heading to St. Louis for the weekend, then down to a little burg that will have the "total" experience.  I've only witnessed a pretty good partial in Michigan (back in the 80's) and that was pretty impressive.  Skies got almost nighttime dark and the temperature dropped noticeably.  It made me wonder about those poor people who were around thousands of years ago, who must have thought that God was not pleased about something!!!

David

« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2017, 01:24:52 PM »
I've been waiting for this since 2006. Booked a hotel in Charleston months ago, then driving up U.S. 17 about 30 miles to get right in the middle of totality. Hopefully it's not total gridlock up that way on the day of the eclipse.