Author Topic: The Rise and Decline of Gateway Mall  (Read 2702 times)

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
Re: The Rise and Decline of Gateway Mall
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2017, 11:23:20 AM »
^ Right, there was a 9-story or so hotel next to the mall.  I think it was originally a Howard Johnson?  In the 80s and early 90s it was a Clarion.  As I recall, it was torn down because it was perceived as a den of illicit activity after the hotel was closed.

It was a Holiday Inn. The HoJo was on the other side of the interchange. The old HoJo is closed but still standing.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Wacca Pilatka

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2017, 11:52:21 AM »
Thanks Lake!

I think I was thinking of the Howard Johnson that was next to Philips Mall/Market Square.
The tourist would realize at once that he had struck the Land of Flowers - the City Beautiful!

Henry J. Klutho

Snaketoz

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2017, 01:28:05 PM »
There was never a hotel/motel by Gateway Mall.  There was a HoJo at Golfair Blvd. and Walgreen Rd.  Gateway Mall was built on a site of burials from the many deaths caused by Yellow fever.  Before the mall was built it was common to find bones and skulls in the area.  Also, the old fairgrounds were nearby.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2017, 01:36:29 PM »
Both hotels were at Golfair and I-95. The demolished hotel mentioned was on the Gateway side of the interchange. Therr was also a seldom used route paralleling I-95 that connected that tied into Gateway behind JCPenney.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

JaxAvondale

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2017, 03:25:29 PM »

hansbronson

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2017, 07:22:56 PM »
I remember as a kid and latter a teenager going to Gateway Mall and using the "back" entrance road which was next to the old Atlantic Mills store and ran parallel to I95. I remember the Holiday Inn next to the Interstate and Atlantic Mills. Later on when the Holiday Inn closed the "locals" when through it and stripped it of everything except the mattresses which they dumped outside on the porches facing the Interstate.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2017, 11:41:55 PM »
I remember the Holiday Inn and I believe there used to be a Waffle House across the street.  Golfair and Norwood were a lot more vibrant in those days.  I can't remember the store, but I recall a friend of my close friend of my parents, who passed in 1992, working at a large building that used to be located at the intersection of Golfair and Brentwood, just east of the Holiday Inn.  I also remember a similar Holiday Inn in the parking lot of Philips Mall at I-95 and Emerson.

Snaketoz

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2017, 10:28:38 AM »
I grew up in Brentwood in the 40s, 50s, and left in the early 60s.  I don't recall there ever being a Holiday Inn in that area.  There was Gator Bowling Lanes, a Lums, Atlantic Mills, a Milligan's, a 7-11, a Howard Johnson's, used car lot, Brentwood school, etc., but I think you must be thinking of another location for a Holiday Inn.  (Not that it really matters.)

Papa33

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2017, 11:21:35 AM »
My parents owned and operated the Speed Queen Laundry in the Gateway Shopping Center in the 1980s and there definitely was a hotel to the right of the Golfair/I95 North on-ramp.

Papa33

« Reply #24 on: July 14, 2017, 11:31:09 AM »
From 9/5/1998 in the TU.

Question: The old Holiday Inn hotel building at Golfair Boulevard and Interstate 95 is a disgusting eyesore and really gives a bad impression when visitors come down I-95 into Jacksonville. I thought it was supposed to be torn down. What's the story?

Answer: The long vacant hotel was set to be demolished some time ago, but then a Holiday Inn franchisee went to the city with a desire to renovate the structure. When no plans developed after a reasonable time, the city finally went ahead and contracted for the hotel's demolition, which is imminent.

Scarlettjax

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2017, 07:36:55 PM »
I remember when that Holiday Inn was built, my father worked on it.  We only had one car at the time, and we dropped him off and picked him up at that job site for months.  Occasionally, we would shop at Gateway while we waited on him.  I don't think there was a Publix there at that time, seems like it was another grocery chain that's since gone away. 

Gateway was also where I got some piercings back in the '80's because the stores that did piercings at Regency wouldn't do anything other than traditional ear piercings, and wouldn't tackle upper ear cartilage. I just had to have me some of those rock star upper ear studs.  It was also a great place for fashions that were more edgy than what you could find at Regency and Roosevelt malls. 

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2017, 07:49:01 PM »
I believe the first Publix in Jacksonville was at Expressway Mall in Arlington. Gateway opened with a Winn-Dixie and a Food Fair (later became Pantry Pride).

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2017, 07:57:19 PM »
It was also a great place for fashions that were more edgy than what you could find at Regency and Roosevelt malls.

This is what I remember visiting Jax off and on back during the 1980s. My parents would load up on church clothes at places like the Ice Man and Mr. Kicks. We'd eat at Morrison's and then go a few blocks down 44th so my mom could shop for shoes at Phil's in Pearl Plaza. After ride past a few old places they loved (Cotten's BBQ, their old house and my dad's first job a Alton Box on Talleyrand), we'd get back on I-95 and head back down to Central Florida.

Snaketoz

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2017, 08:31:17 PM »
I know there was a Publix in Gateway mall in 1960 as my brother worked there.  The Publix stores closed because they couldn't compete with other grocers that could give S&H green stamps.  I can't remember for sure which grocery had S&H, but Publix couldn't give them out in the Jacksonville market.  They left for quite a long time, but returned.  My, have things changed.

Snaketoz

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2017, 08:34:45 PM »
Gateway at times had some great shops.  I remember a Federal Bakery, Al's men shop, Harry Sach's, jewelry stores, GC Murphy, Monkey Wards, record shops, etc.  The place to go.