Author Topic: Mayor Curry wants the Landing back  (Read 18300 times)

Jim

• MetJax
Re: Mayor Curry wants the Landing back
« Reply #225 on: June 29, 2017, 10:04:27 AM »
JLmann, stop.  Do you honesty think we want nothing but big chains that you can already find on nearly every corner of town anyway?  Is that what you are taking from this conversation?  Have you not read anything else on this forum, or its predecessors, from the past decade?

We are saying the following:

1. Both entities need to work together to solve the Landing issue.

2. The original intention of the Landing failed because market expectations never materialized.

3. The current iteration of the Landing is underutilized.
 a. Raze and begin anew or
 b. Redevelop or
 c. Utilize current space as current market demands.

3a will require substantial investment from both parties and likely a change in ownership of either the Landing or the land itself.
3b requires less investment from the city and likely won't need a change of ownership for the Landing or the land itself.
3c requires no city involvement or change of ownership.

4. Redeveloping the Landing with a concept that requires market forces that do not currently exist is precisely how the current Landing fell into the state it is in.  To redevelopment the Landing as something grandiose or unique requires factors the current region does not have and it will not have on the grounds of a redeveloped Landing alone.  The whole core needs a singular focus.  You need density, you need symbiosis, you need walkability, you need interaction with the river and downtown and you need a downtown that draws people consistently.

All Lake was trying to tell you is if 3a and 3b are not an option, then 3c in whatever fashion the market supports should be implemented.  I highly advise you to read his articles and posts (along with several others posters here) to get a better grasp of what we consider a quality redevelopment of the Landing.  I'll give you a hint though, it sure as hell isn't what you are characterizing it as.

jlmann

« Reply #226 on: June 29, 2017, 10:09:05 AM »
yeah people who live in orange park and julington creek say that.  because they never come to the core.

but its abundantly clear that having something interesting that people might actually want to go to is not a priority to this forum.

who even has skin in the game? the city? they share my position.  sleiman?  yeah not really caring about that given all his management of the site.  hes practically run it into the ground on purpose

if the city can muscle him out they should

« Last Edit: June 29, 2017, 10:18:42 AM by jlmann »

jlmann

« Reply #227 on: June 29, 2017, 10:11:41 AM »
all I get from this is that everyone here is resigned to 3c being the only option.  cause we tried once in the 80s

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #228 on: June 29, 2017, 10:35:47 AM »
jlmann, I get the feeling that if Lenny Curry (or anyone other than the current owner) wanted to keep the existing structure and renovate, you'd be fine with it. There's a significant amount of bias in your argument against the Landing's owner moreso than anything else.

That aside, everyone has their own opinion but reality is, you can't squeeze blood out of a turnip. The Trio deal just sucked away all the money COJ had for helping restore large historic structures in downtown. Since public funding is limited, count me in the camp that would rather see whatever money tossed into full redevelopment of a retail white elephant, be redirected in assisting a few more Laura Trios get off the ground.  That makes my personal choice C.

If we can bring big vacant/underutilized structures like City Hall Annex, the Ambassador, Old JEA Tower, Enterprise Center, Jones Brothers Furniture, etc., back online housing people with disposable income, the Landing situation will work itself out.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #229 on: June 29, 2017, 10:45:24 AM »
My whole point was basically that I'd be happy if the Landing was successful - whether that meant it was full of bohemian shops or a CVS or whatever. I think a successful Landing would be good for downtown.

I also think that a successful Landing is a pipe dream if it's a standalone project.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

KenFSU

« Reply #230 on: July 04, 2017, 02:56:39 PM »
Not sure how I didn't know about this, but apparently the Landing has a really nice riverfront arcade, with everything from retro cabinets, to vintage consoles, to new offerings across PS4/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch/PC.

Has anyone checked this place out?

https://www.yelp.com/biz/glhf-game-bar-jacksonville

Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

remc86007

« Reply #231 on: July 04, 2017, 03:16:39 PM »
I've been meaning to. I will as soon as I get a chance. I hope it makes it (or moves somewhere else rather than shuts down).

SoudNoises

« Reply #232 on: July 05, 2017, 12:19:29 PM »
I've been to GLHF (aforementioned barcade). It's a cool little place connected to Chicago Pizza.
It caters a little more towards the serious PC/console gamers than the "let's have some beers and play Street Fighter" crowd, but that's fine by me.

tufsu1

« Reply #233 on: July 05, 2017, 04:53:52 PM »
^ It is in fact part of Chicago Pizza - they carved out space and made the restaurant smaller.

spuwho

« Reply #234 on: July 05, 2017, 05:49:40 PM »
^ It is in fact part of Chicago Pizza - they carved out space and made the restaurant smaller.

I saw the place when I had dinner there last week. Didnt know it existed until I found the bathrooms.

The gaming PC's were 50% occupied when I walked by.

Interesting arrangement.

FlaBoy

« Reply #235 on: August 11, 2017, 10:50:45 AM »
http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/article/landing-to-demolish-village-bread-space

Anyone know if this is part of a bigger plan or just isolated to the Village Bread space?

The Jacksonville Landing will demolish the closed Village Bread Café and restore it as marketplace space.

“I have lots of ideas,” said Landing General Manager Janice Lowe. The city is reviewing a permit application to take out the countertops, cabinets, door and other furnishings and equipment at the 2 Independent Drive E. riverfront retail center Downtown.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #236 on: August 11, 2017, 02:03:18 PM »
Do it Sleiman......turn it into a food hall..... Make it part of a plan to run the Landing like a shopping center!
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

jlmann

« Reply #237 on: August 11, 2017, 02:12:43 PM »
lol.  "i have a lot of ideas"

we all do Janice, we all do.  its just that none of them will become reality with the current landing and the current leadership, but by all means, dream big!

FlaBoy

« Reply #238 on: August 11, 2017, 03:51:37 PM »
Do it Sleiman......turn it into a food hall..... Make it part of a plan to run the Landing like a shopping center!

8)

jlmann

« Reply #239 on: August 11, 2017, 04:35:58 PM »
so when did the landing not have a food hall?

the second floor is one.  many restaurant spaces downstairs.

nobody went there, nobody wants to, and no businesses will sign leases.  Now put a walgreens or a bealls in there?  LOOK OUT!!