Author Topic: Jobs Lost to Automation  (Read 3284 times)

TimmyB

• T
Re: Jobs Lost to Automation
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2017, 09:25:20 AM »
There's an interesting video out by Vox today on the future of jobs, and their relationship with automation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUmyygCMMGA

That was really good.  Thanks for sharing it.

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2017, 12:22:29 PM »
Yes, I thought that was good too.
I am one that has made fun of the "oh no, all of the jobs will be gone" panic and loved the example of the older articles. But maybe it really is different this time.
Of course,  I have wondered if Companies need people to buy their products to exist, how can people buy products if there are no jobs? I guess if we are thinking Skynet, it doesn't really matter.

I also liked  the ending about thinking about what you can control. Amen.

What is coming? Utopia?  Mad Max? Jags are the new Pats?

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2017, 02:47:35 PM »
Yes, I thought that was good too.
I am one that has made fun of the "oh no, all of the jobs will be gone" panic and loved the example of the older articles. But maybe it really is different this time.
Of course,  I have wondered if Companies need people to buy their products to exist, how can people buy products if there are no jobs? I guess if we are thinking Skynet, it doesn't really matter.

I also liked  the ending about thinking about what you can control. Amen.

What is coming? Utopia?  Mad Max? Jags are the new Pats?

I was a technology teacher for the last 28 years.  For over 20 of those, my students first-day assignment for me was to build the McDonald's of the future.  It had to be buildable today (even if it was cost-prohibitive) and it had to have NO employees, unless it broke or needed restocking.  The next day, we would get into this whole discussion of technology replacing jobs that used to be there in great quantities. 

As for what's next, I think you hit the nail on the head (except for the Jags part).  We saw what happened when companies thought it was a great idea to off-shore all their work in the beginning of this century.  Suddenly, people couldn't pay their mortgages, let alone buy products, and the whole country tanked.  Hopefully, they'll think things through a little better in the coming wave(s) of automation.