Author Topic: Sports Complex Parking  (Read 887 times)

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
Sports Complex Parking
« on: May 16, 2017, 11:02:15 AM »
I've had this thought for a while in regard to helping retail businesses in the sports complex - let me hear your thoughts:

For events that are not "Full Stadium Events" (meaning Jags Games, Fl/Ga, Monster Jam, Gator Bowl, etc), add a 2-3 parking surcharge on every ticket, and make every lot/garage in the sports complex free.

- The idea here is that for an arena/ballpark event (or small stadium event), there might only be 5,000 people/1,500 cars or so, yet the parking hassle (what's open, what's free, what do I have to pay for) might be a deterrent for people to come down to Intuition, etc.
 - For a full stadium event, this is unlikely to be an issue as the businesses should be able to thrive based on the foot traffic down there alone.

The only obstacle that I can think of would be that awful deal Peyton signed for the garages (guaranteeing the operator a profit), though I'm not sure if that's still in effect.

Thoughts everyone?

fieldafm

• Editor
Re: Sports Complex Parking
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 11:15:53 AM »
The only obstacle that I can think of would be that awful deal Peyton signed for the garages (guaranteeing the operator a profit), though I'm not sure if that's still in effect.

That agreement is still in effect. Its even more complicated now that the original manager is sub-contracting management services to someone else.

DIA has worked on a parking solution for non-event days:

http://www.moderncities.com/article/2017-jan-downtowns-doro-district-secures-parking-

Unfortunately, the original funding request got cut in half at the City Council level, and now instead of two hour parking (as was the original intent)... Lot X will  be open on non-event days as a pay lot (meaning you'll need to pay to park in that lot).
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 01:00:42 PM by fieldafm »

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 12:51:23 PM »
Sure, and I saw that agreement in January. That definitely is a step in the right direction.

I think that things would be better off if parking was wide open for the small and medium sized events.

- No paying for parking (Which is usually the one reason I need cash)
 - No paying people to take money (which I realize that at $10 a car these people's pay is a small percentage)

Parking management for all but 14ish days a year becomes a non-issue.

ramonhernandezjr

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2017, 10:33:44 AM »
How about adding the parking surcharge to drivers licenses? Then all the parking garages would be free! Those business that have designated parking spots for their business have to pay a yearly fee in order to reserve those spots. Keep the parking meters on the street for those who need to spend less than an hour at any business.