Author Topic: I-95 Express Lanes from Butler to Downtown  (Read 6575 times)

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
Re: I-95 Express Lanes from Butler to Downtown
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2017, 10:23:43 AM »
The land use situation is a regional issue.  However, it should certainly be coordinated with infrastructure investments being made by agencies such as the FDOT and JTA.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

BenderRodriguez

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2017, 10:38:59 AM »
I throw my hat in for, at least, considering using all this new found land to facilitate a commuter rail from the area. Don't let your dreams be dreams!

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2017, 11:14:08 AM »
Excluding interchange redesigns redesigns at Emerson, University and perhaps Bowden, I wonder if the addition of lanes can be done within existing ROW? 

As for commuter rail, that would take place on the existing FEC line.  However, I doubt it would be successful given the sprawled out nature of the Southside. Instead, I'd recommend lobbying for Brightline's expansion to Jax and getting a St. Augustine stop in the process.  Doing so would give Jax a quick intercity rail connection between downtown and St. Augustine and set the stage for an Amtrak corridor service (assuming Trump doesn't kill Amtrak altogether). 

When, and if, a corridor service materializes, advocate for stops at the Avenues and St. Augustine.  Between Amtrak and Brightline, you'd end up with a defacto three station commuter/intercity rail corridor with more frequent headways than anything JTA will provide....and without significant, if any, local dedicated funding. 

Then complement the intercity rail stops with the underutilized JTA Flyer BRT line down Philips to at least tie downtown and the Avenues together.  This scenario allows you to market land around the rail stations and intermediate Flyer stops for nodal TOD, meaning you're getting more leverage out of an existing local transit investment. Overall, you'd end up with a poor man's scenario of Cleveland's Health Line BRT and RTA Red Line between downtown (Tower City) and University Circle (Little Italy to Windermere stations in map below).

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Dapperdan

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2017, 11:34:59 AM »
I feel like this will help. It helps the people that want to pay and the others as well. less traffic in the "free" lanes as well. I just worry about bottleneck points when the Lexus lanes end.

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2017, 11:42:29 AM »
The TOD opportunity along Phillips at I-95/I-295 is astounding.

We keep isolating our transit (read: highways) projects which have so little harmony with the development around them.

spuwho

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2017, 11:54:47 AM »
The land use situation is a regional issue.  However, it should certainly be coordinated with infrastructure investments being made by agencies such as the FDOT and JTA.

I agree wholeheartedly. But when your local municipality refuses to adopt any TOD, then the DOT is forced to take their own actions independently.

If we used the most basic of transit aggregation and TOD,  we would be there by now.

FlaBoy

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2017, 12:44:43 PM »
In and around the Fuller Warren is where things really become a cluster normally, well that and getting onto JTB. I don't know how this will help  except make traffic awful on that stretch for several years due to construction and create a new bottle neck at the worst point or traffic. I still don't understand the Beach flyover which consistently causes a traffic snarl as people swerve to get back onto 95 because they are confused and heading onto Beach. In a few years they will come back and tell us they f*cked this up too and need to change something for another $100 million.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2017, 01:13:16 PM »

I agree wholeheartedly. But when your local municipality refuses to adopt any TOD, then the DOT is forced to take their own actions independently.

If we used the most basic of transit aggregation and TOD,  we would be there by now.

The mobility plan included approved comp plan changes that would allow for TOD style infill development.  However, you're not going to get TOD without reliable fixed transit.  The closest thing we have to fixed reliable transit is the Skyway and it doesn't extend outside of downtown.  To add insult to injury, downtown was excluded from the mobility plan work back in 2011.

Jagsdrew

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2017, 01:20:02 PM »
In and around the Fuller Warren is where things really become a cluster normally, well that and getting onto JTB. I don't know how this will help  except make traffic awful on that stretch for several years due to construction and create a new bottle neck at the worst point or traffic. I still don't understand the Beach flyover which consistently causes a traffic snarl as people swerve to get back onto 95 because they are confused and heading onto Beach. In a few years they will come back and tell us they f*cked this up too and need to change something for another $100 million.

Not all 125,000+ cars will be on that particular 4-lane stretch of 95 downtown. According to the construction plans, there will be an additional 3 lanes constructed heading south on 95 that will handle the majority of volume passing through downtown. When you head south on 95 after the Fuller Warren past the San Marco exit, you will have one exit on the right which will be a Collector/Distributor exit (CD)which will give you access to the Beach Blvd exit and Phillips Hwy exit or you can get back on 95 as the CD will merge back with 95.  That will be issue is 5+ lanes back down to 3 near Emerson.
Twitter: @Jagsdrew

acme54321

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2017, 02:01:00 PM »
I still don't understand the Beach flyover which consistently causes a traffic snarl as people swerve to get back onto 95 because they are confused and heading onto Beach.

That is completely temporary.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2017, 02:57:14 PM »

Here's a video link showing the final configuration of the I-95 Overland Bridge project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ana_O2n9ENU

southsider1015

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2017, 09:09:08 PM »
Excluding interchange redesigns redesigns at Emerson, University and perhaps Bowden, I wonder if the addition of lanes can be done within existing ROW? 

As for commuter rail, that would take place on the existing FEC line.  However, I doubt it would be successful given the sprawled out nature of the Southside. Instead, I'd recommend lobbying for Brightline's expansion to Jax and getting a St. Augustine stop in the process.  Doing so would give Jax a quick intercity rail connection between downtown and St. Augustine and set the stage for an Amtrak corridor service (assuming Trump doesn't kill Amtrak altogether). 

When, and if, a corridor service materializes, advocate for stops at the Avenues and St. Augustine.  Between Amtrak and Brightline, you'd end up with a defacto three station commuter/intercity rail corridor with more frequent headways than anything JTA will provide....and without significant, if any, local dedicated funding. 

Then complement the intercity rail stops with the underutilized JTA Flyer BRT line down Philips to at least tie downtown and the Avenues together.  This scenario allows you to market land around the rail stations and intermediate Flyer stops for nodal TOD, meaning you're getting more leverage out of an existing local transit investment. Overall, you'd end up with a poor man's scenario of Cleveland's Health Line BRT and RTA Red Line between downtown (Tower City) and University Circle (Little Italy to Windermere stations in map below).

You should go to the meeting to find out.

From JTB to about Bowden, the extra lanes fit.  From Bowden to Emerson, there's minor anticipated ROW acquisition.  From Emerson to Atlantic, the existing section is really tight, and more ROW is needed.

Then, of course, the ponds are another story.  But FDOT is still evaluating pond acquisition, and is showing all pond alternatives possible.

southsider1015

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2017, 09:14:18 PM »
I feel like this will help. It helps the people that want to pay and the others as well. less traffic in the "free" lanes as well. I just worry about bottleneck points when the Lexus lanes end.

A valid concern for sure.  Additional aux lanes immediately before and after the entrances and exits of the Express Lanes help with density and speeds.  An Express Lane doesn't help if you're exiting the lanes to a bottleneck.  Add another lane, and that bottleneck congestion weakens at the exit point.  Same theory on the entrance points too.

So with the improvements that Overland will (eventually) bring, and with the shiny new JTB flyover completed, the new bottle neck is this section.  Hence, the need for this project.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2017, 11:44:05 AM »
Should be an interesting meeting tonight.  The graphics are online for those who can't make it before the workshop ends at 6:30pm:

http://www.northfloridaexpress.com/PDE/Media

I can now see the concern of Englewood residents. Conceptual plans show a 12 lane highway between Emerson and Atlantic and some pretty large potential pond areas.  It's a minimum of 10 lanes throughout, so yeah some residences will be lost.  It will be interesting to see what the final product looks like in comparison.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 11:45:43 AM by thelakelander »

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2017, 12:08:11 PM »
Well, that's......interesting:

It seems like moving those walls would be really expensive. It seems like FDOT should have to make this work while leaving the wall. I get the six lanes though:

- 3 General Purpose
 - 2 Express, merged back in
 - the on-ramp from Emerson turns into a late

I think either they should dump the shoulder on the inside, or dump the sixth lane coming in.

It also seems VERY odd that the express lanes don't have access to JTB. Seems like a HUGE miss. I realize that you have to balance the amount of traffic coming into the lanes, but this doesn't make sense to me.

With regard to the ponds, couldn't they take it from the parking lot at Metro Square, and work with them on a one level garage? It seems strange to take houses versus using those awful-looking lots. I realize that the pond square footage overall is larger than the parking lot and it won't solve everything, but I've never been a fan of taking houses like this, especially when there is a lot of commercial property that is either vacant or underutilized.