Author Topic: Gibraltar and BREXIT  (Read 3112 times)

spuwho

Re: Gibraltar and BREXIT
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2017, 12:39:44 PM »
At least Gibraltar has an airport.  One of those other UK Overseas posessions, St Helena just got theirs after 30 years of trying and few can use it.

Maybe Britons can holiday there instead of Spain post Brexit.

I'd love to go there - and Tristan da Cunha, too.

BA was trying to start a flight via Gambia (to refuel). As for Tristan, I think its boat only still.  Comair has a weekly from Ascension Island.

I agree, I would rather go to an Overseas territory than Gibraltar.

Have you hiked to the rain forest atop Ascension?

No. I thought Ascension was semi-restricted to military use only.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2017, 01:01:34 PM »
At least Gibraltar has an airport.  One of those other UK Overseas posessions, St Helena just got theirs after 30 years of trying and few can use it.

Maybe Britons can holiday there instead of Spain post Brexit.

I'd love to go there - and Tristan da Cunha, too.

BA was trying to start a flight via Gambia (to refuel). As for Tristan, I think its boat only still.  Comair has a weekly from Ascension Island.

I agree, I would rather go to an Overseas territory than Gibraltar.

Have you hiked to the rain forest atop Ascension?

No. I thought Ascension was semi-restricted to military use only.

It may be... the place reminds of the moon... or Iceland but warmer...

In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

ben says

« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2017, 01:24:41 PM »
Looks badass. MUST GO.
Luxury travel & concierge services: www.isserbtravels.com

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2017, 02:14:36 PM »
Yeah, that is impressive looking.

I've always wanted to visit the Falkland Islands as well. Something about these really remote places appeals to me. I never considered Gibraltar a place I'd like to go, but I have been reconsidering that a bit with all the news coverage this week. I think I'd like to see the view from the top of the rock.

“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2017, 02:42:40 PM »
That forest is only at the top of the mountain/island... The rest of the island is mostly barren volcanic cinder...lol
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

spuwho

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2017, 08:01:20 PM »
That forest is only at the top of the mountain/island... The rest of the island is mostly barren volcanic cinder...lol

Per Wikipedia:

To enter Ascension Island, individuals need the Administrator's written permission. There is no permanent residence. A contract of employment is a requirement to stay on the island,[40] though short term visits by tourists are possible with prior approval. The British government has asserted that there is no "right of abode" on Ascension Island.

As far as Green Mountain National Park you show in the pictures.....oddly, none of it is indigenous, it is a planned forest.

By 1843 the island was barren with few plants. However, due to the introduction of species by the British, Ascension Island's Green Mountain is now one of the few large-scale planned forests, and is gradually growing with each year. Its highest point is at 859 m.[10] Non-indigenous plants teem there, and the crown of Green Mountain is a lush halo of bamboo. Flanking one side is a large stand of tall Norfolk pine, trees planted by British mariners, which were to have been used as replacement masts for sailing ships. In June 2005 the first National Park on Ascension Island, the Green Mountain National Park, was opened.

It seemed to suffer the fate of many of the other islands found by Europeans between 1500-1800.  Infestation of rats, followed by the importation of cats, which then destroyed the bird nests. The island was declared feral cat free in 2006. There are a lot of islands in the Pacific that were originally mined for guano in the 1800's. The succeeding generations of ferals that survived were removed just a few years ago like Ascension.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2017, 05:33:49 AM »
Thanks spuwho... it looked natural enough to me.  Interesting!

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2017, 05:51:56 PM »
Saw this today:

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/800-people-stranded-mid-atlantic-060219144.html

Looks like now is not the time to try to plan that holiday to Ascension Island!

Hundreds of people have been stranded in the mid-Atlantic on Ascension Island after potholes on the runway reportedly caused the partial closure of its US air base.

Unconfirmed reports said that cracks or potholes had appeared and repairs of the runway - a crucial stop-over during the Falklands War - could take weeks, if not months.

The situation has been made worse by a propeller failure on the RMS St ­Helena, the ageing supply ship that travels between Cape Town and the sister islands of Ascension and St ­Helena, both more than a thousand miles off Africa.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2017, 07:33:57 PM »
Lol... provisions will begin to run low quickly...

spuwho

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2017, 12:43:47 PM »
Lol... provisions will begin to run low quickly...

Being a military installation, Ascension has a 6 month depot of diesel and aviation fuel.

Also Ascension has a small and little used submarine terminal and plenty of space for a military freighter ship to resupply the island.

So while private air or sea craft may be limited. Military use can proceed as usual.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2017, 05:39:40 AM »
Yeah... like I said... provisions will begin to run low quickly...

spuwho

« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2017, 01:42:24 PM »
Seems Ascension is not the one freaking out about the runway closing, its the Falklands. Its a key supply leg for the South Atlantic island since Argentina doesnt allow direct flights.

Per MercoNews:

The Falkland Islands government has made further announcements regarding the South Atlantic Airbridge, which has been rerouted because of the temporary closure of Ascension Island runway, but now seems to be back in track to normalizing via alternative airports in West Africa. Ascenson island, in mid Atlantic, is a crucial call point for the long airbridge to the Falklands.

Despite the cancelling of a couple of airbridge flights to the Falklands, as of Wednesday, and for the rest of the week, the situation is expected to be normal, according to FIG and the UK Ministry of Defense, which are providing extensive information both for northbound and southbound flights.

Since the flights will be calling in West Africa, there are some recommendations regarding vaccines.

Following are some of the questions, and answers, regarding the overall rerouting situation.

What is the situation regarding the Ascension Island and Airbridge flights?

Due to essential repairs required to the Ascension Island runway, the Ministry of Defence (MOD) is temporarily rerouting the South Atlantic Airbridge via alternative airports, currently using West Africa.

How long will this situation continue?

The runway requires essential repairs to continue accommodating larger aircraft, such as those used for the South Atlantic Airbridge. It is expected that the re-routing will continue for the foreseeable future.

What will happen in the interim period?

The MOD is working with the Falkland Islands Government to ensure continued flight access to/from the UK for Falkland Islanders, through an alternative hub.

What is happening with the current South Atlantic Airbridge flights?

Whist interim measures are being implemented, the Southbound flight from Brize Norton (BZN) scheduled for 16.04.17 has been cancelled along with the associated return Northbound flight scheduled for 18.04.17*.

However, the Southbound flight from Brize Norton scheduled to depart on Wednesday 19.04.17* is due to arrive at Mount Pleasant on Thursday 20.04.17* at 15:05 hrs*, Stanley time.

The Northbound flight scheduled for Friday 21.04.17* is due to depart at 07:15hrs*, Stanley time (check-in from 02:00hrs*). This flight is scheduled to arrive at Brize Norton at 05:30hrs* on Saturday 22.04.17*. (*) All dates and times correct as of 17.04.17 and subject to change.

Every attempt is being made to accommodate passengers from the cancelled flights. As always, passengers are advised to carry overnight kit in their hand luggage in case of any delays.

Does the rerouted flight take longer to the UK?

The initial leg of the journey from the Falklands (Mount Pleasant) northbound, if via West Africa, is longer than the leg to Ascension, but the onward leg to the UK is shorter. Overall, there is very little difference in overall flight time.

What is the situation for people who live or work on Ascension Island?

The MOD is working with the Foreign Office to put in place measures to support the people who live and work on Ascension Island.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2017, 03:29:10 PM »
I remember when Britain made a few airborne "deliveries" from Ascension Island to the Falkland Islands in 1982.

spuwho

« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2017, 06:46:11 PM »
I remember when Britain made a few airborne "deliveries" from Ascension Island to the Falkland Islands in 1982.

Yes, the flight of the 8 Victors to refuel the Vulcan and the other Victors so the Vulcan could drop its only set of bombs in hostility ever is reknown.

If just one Victor had faltered, a different story.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2017, 07:57:31 PM »

Yes, the flight of the 8 Victors to refuel the Vulcan and the other Victors so the Vulcan could drop its only set of bombs in hostility ever is reknown.

If just one Victor had faltered, a different story.
Ascension is one of those "strategic rocks " most of the public is unaware of.  Ascension has played an important role with NASA and other military operations not quite as public as the Falklands.

When you live on a small island in the middle of nowhere a missed flight or freighter means shortages and possible hardship.   Use the last roll of TP... better hope your neighbors are generous... get sick and need MEDEVAC... sorry... runway closed.