Author Topic: Hyperion Brewing: Grand Opening May 19th  (Read 9033 times)

edjax

Re: Hyperion Brewing: Grand Opening May 19th
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2017, 11:40:09 AM »
Stopped by with some friends yesterday afternoon for a couple of hours and had a great time.  Tasted a couple of their own beers and they were real good in my opinion.  Place looks great.  From my experience only a couple of things for me was that the beer could have been colder. Pet peeve of mine.  The other while the bar stools looked cool damn they were not very comfortable, I guess the seat too small for my fat ass. A whole other story I guess.  Actually they were uncomfortable for all in my group and we quickly nabbed a table with regular chairs once one opened up.  Was a decent crowd the entire time while there too.  Will definitely make a return visit.  Nice addition to Springfield.

remc86007

« Reply #46 on: June 04, 2017, 12:36:43 PM »
I think craft breweries in general are in a difficult position with regard to beer temperature. Lagers, which they don't serve many of should be kept as close to freezing as possible, whereas "hoppy" beers like IPAs should be served somewhat warmer so the hops don't come across as bitter.

Then again, it might just be that the beer hadn't been in the fridge long enough haha

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #47 on: June 04, 2017, 12:47:58 PM »
I think craft breweries in general are in a difficult position with regard to beer temperature. Lagers, which they don't serve many of should be kept as close to freezing as possible, whereas "hoppy" beers like IPAs should be served somewhat warmer so the hops don't come across as bitter.

Then again, it might just be that the beer hadn't been in the fridge long enough haha

Do lagers really need to be kept that cold? I like cold beer - and prefer mine to be very, very cold - but it's quite common to serve lager at between 40 and 50 degrees F.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

remc86007

« Reply #48 on: June 04, 2017, 01:36:29 PM »
^ Higher quality lagers are fine up to 50 or so, but I think most lagers should just be served in the 30s to be safe. In FL specifically, if you serve a beer at 35 degrees it will be in the 40s within a few minutes anyway. I hate when I order a lager at a restaurant, it comes out in the high 40s and by the time the food comes my beer is practically warm.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #49 on: June 04, 2017, 01:56:08 PM »
^ Higher quality lagers are fine up to 50 or so, but I think most lagers should just be served in the 30s to be safe. In FL specifically, if you serve a beer at 35 degrees it will be in the 40s within a few minutes anyway. I hate when I order a lager at a restaurant, it comes out in the high 40s and by the time the food comes my beer is practically warm.

I'm the same way. I like them cold. I am not a big fan of ales or bitters, but I like them cold, too. I like cold drinks, apparently. Except coffee.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #50 on: June 04, 2017, 06:09:19 PM »
For me... it's the climate I'm in... a warm thick beer on a hot and muggy day is awful.  An ice cold lager at the ballgame is perfect... 8)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Cheshire Cat

• Diane Melendez is Cheshire Cat
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2017, 03:36:33 PM »

Okay beer lovers and supporters of small business.  Hyperion is taking a giant step today in the beer world.  Starting today, every beer on tap is one of their own brews.  You won't find these brews anywhere else.  They have reached an early milestone.  :)  Good luck to all at Hyperion. 
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 03:42:58 PM by Cheshire Cat »
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

remc86007

« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2017, 03:51:44 PM »
I love this place! I know they are experimenting for their first year, but I hope they pick some flagships sooner rather than later. I've loved several of their IPAs so far and I wish I could have more of them. Often I like trying new beers, but sometimes I just want a regular IPA without any other flavors mixed in. Other minor gripe is the lack of sound dampening really makes the place hard to talk in when full; I know that makes me sound old and it seems to be the trend among restaurants and breweries these days, but I don't care for it. I'm so thankful the owners choose Springfield, it has really changed the area having people on Main Street every night.

Cheshire Cat

• Diane Melendez is Cheshire Cat
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2017, 06:27:20 PM »
They do offer beers from other brewers in bottle and they take care not to put anything on tap that will compromise another brewer close by.  Their business plan is to continually offer their own brews, something you will not find on a grocery shelf.   They will find out which of theirs the customers like most and some of those will be regularly available. There will also always be new flavors on tap.  The sound is because of the loft style open ceilings which is the trend these days.   :)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 06:49:44 PM by Cheshire Cat »
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

remc86007

« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2017, 07:27:19 PM »
^I'm not interested in other brewery's beers when I go there, just a regular tasting Hyperion IPA (like IPA #2 which they had in their first 2 weeks) would be nice to have regularly.

About the sound, I think sound reduction panels painted black and placed along the (already black) ceiling would work wonders and not be visually very noticeable.

camarocane

« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2017, 07:44:44 AM »
Wife and I went back yesterday after work and found they have a very substantial selection for just being open for a few months. Had both their chocolate porter and sour blonde... very tasty.

edjax

« Reply #56 on: November 14, 2017, 09:58:35 AM »
I just saw where their brewmaster and them have parted ways.  Seems what I have seen is he may have had somewhat of a checkered past. 

Tacachale

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2017, 11:57:30 AM »
I just saw where their brewmaster and them have parted ways.  Seems what I have seen is he may have had somewhat of a checkered past.

Do tell.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

edjax

« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2017, 12:10:22 PM »
Well it is pretty serious if all the rants on twitter are accurate.  I know not always reliable but seen the accusations from many people seeming to make it sound true.  Suggest just searching around.  I am sure those on here from Springfield have a better feel for it. 

tufsu1

« Reply #59 on: November 14, 2017, 07:43:38 PM »

Do tell.

There is nothing to tell - sometimes business partnerships don't work out. The assistant brewmaster has now been promoted and everything seems to be going strong. If you haven't been in a while (or ever) go check out the new Helios Beer Garden out back.