Author Topic: Morton’s steakhouse opening at the Hyatt  (Read 1727 times)

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
Morton’s steakhouse opening at the Hyatt
« on: March 20, 2017, 01:39:33 PM »
Someone mentioned this as a rumor on here a few weeks back:

A little more than five years after it closed on the Southbank, Morton’s the Steakhouse is returning to Jacksonville. This time it’s on the Northbank downtown, scheduled to open June 1 in Hyatt Regency Jacksonville Riverfront, an employee there said.
http://jacksonville.com/business/food-and-dining/2017-03-20/morton-s-steakhouse-returning-jacksonville
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

spuwho

Re: Morton’s steakhouse opening at the Hyatt
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 01:43:32 PM »
I assume its the same space shulas was in.

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 02:01:51 PM »
Probably where Plaza III was. Good news either way. I am amazed the old Morton's still sits empty.

remc86007

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 02:05:54 PM »
One has to wonder how this is going to work with the Cowford Chophouse opening two blocks away. Sure, the out-of-towners would probably choose Mortons, but local business people? I don't think so.

Does anybody know if the Chophouse is going to be in a vastly different price bracket than Mortons?

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 02:06:52 PM »
I think they're going to be around the same price point actually. With one being a chain and one being local, I think that's okay. They might compliment each other.

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 02:07:30 PM »
Probably where Plaza III was.

Correct, that's where it's going. I don't think Shula's was ever in the Hyatt.

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 02:37:20 PM »
I hope I am wayyyyy off but I would think this is bad news for Cowford Chophouse. I would guess a significant portion of upscale steakhouse revenue is business/expense account and I would think Morton's will get most of Hyatt's business and Ruth's owns the South Bank.

Based upon the "financial demographics" of Jacksonville, I would say the vast majority of locals would look upon it as a "once a year" (anniversary/birthday) type place. The bar should do great though.

Of course, if it is as good as we hope, we will be spending an obscene amount of money there. Who knows, perhaps enough to offset the business lost to Morton's :)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 02:39:24 PM by sanmarcomatt »

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 02:42:39 PM »
I hope I am wayyyyy off but I would think this is bad news for Cowford Chophouse. I would guess a significant portion of upscale steakhouse revenue is business/expense account and I would think Morton's will get most of Hyatt's business and Ruth's owns the South Bank.

Based upon the "financial demographics" of Jacksonville, I would say the vast majority of locals would look upon it as a "once a year" (anniversary/birthday) type place. The bar should do great though.

Of course, if it is as good as we hope, we will be spending an obscene amount of money there. Who knows, perhaps enough to offset the business lost to Morton's :)

I think it's all going to come down to value for the food. If they are at the Morton's price point and serve worse steak, then I agree (though the rooftop bar might be able to overcome that).

I thought they would be around the same price point as Morton's, but I could be wrong.

For example, if they are a little below that price point, it might be good for business travelers. If I'm traveling by myself usually I can't expense something like Morton's.

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 03:05:57 PM »

I think it's all going to come down to value for the food. If they are at the Morton's price point and serve worse steak, then I agree (though the rooftop bar might be able to overcome that).

I thought they would be around the same price point as Morton's, but I could be wrong.

For example, if they are a little below that price point, it might be good for business travelers. If I'm traveling by myself usually I can't expense something like Morton's.

I should add that  hopefully Cowford  is serious about their  seafood and doesn't just end up a steakhouse that also offers seafood for the non-carnivores ala Ruth's,Capital Grille, etc. That would be great.

tufsu1

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 03:36:25 PM »
^ I think Cowford will cater to folks looking for something different.  The historic space will be a draw, as will the rooftop.  For Morton's, it will be the riverfront view (albeit not a good view right now).

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 04:13:56 PM »
^ I think Cowford will cater to folks looking for something different.  The historic space will be a draw, as will the rooftop.  For Morton's, it will be the riverfront view (albeit not a good view right now).

So Mortons will have nice River front views like Ruth's in Double Tree? I am unfamiliar with the Hyatt and the space they will occupy. I was hoping it would be mostly interior space with to give Cowford an even bigger ambiance advantage:)

I know I am making this thread about  Cowford ( We will never go to Morton's, sorry Morton) but I soooooo want Cowford to be great and successful due to the combination of the building and wanting a great non chain steakhouse (Please, no one mention Tree).

I am worried that due to convenience they will lose a huge portion of potential Hyatt business. Weekdays could be ugly

remc86007

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 04:28:23 PM »
^ I think you are underestimating just how much of a visibility advantage that the Cowford Chophouse will enjoy. If they don't totally screw up their marketing effort, it will be impossible to take the Main Street bridge into downtown without seeing it. Also, the rooftop of Cowford will be visible from the upper floors of several office buildings.

I'm with you, I really want Cowford to be successful. If it's really good, it could put Jacksonville on the map among steak connoisseurs.

pierre

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 05:08:17 PM »
Probably where Plaza III was.

Correct, that's where it's going. I don't think Shula's was ever in the Hyatt.

Right. It wasn't.

It also housed Bravo Ristorante.

JaxAvondale

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 07:23:45 PM »
I have many different vendors that come to Jax for a visit and they never want to eat at Ruth Chris or Morton's. Cowford will go over very well with business travelers.

blizz01

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 08:26:20 PM »
Hope Cowford will become our Bern's.