Author Topic: Daily Record poll  (Read 1137 times)

Murder_me_Rachel

Daily Record poll
« on: March 20, 2017, 11:41:37 AM »
From last week's Daily Record:

"Do you believe President Donald Trump’s allegations that former President Barack Obama had phones at Trump Tower wiretapped before the 2016 election?
The results through Internet voting:
Yes - 54%
No - 46%"

I realize that people are (pretty much understandably) tired of national political discussions here, but I kind of see this as a local spin.  At this point, there is ZERO credibility for Trump's claims.  The Daily Record, in my experience, is read by lawyers and downtown professionals exclusively.  What in the hell does it say for us that a group of adult professionals, who are presumably bright and intelligent, believe this absolute nonsense? Defend Trump's policies all you want and I will respect that and debate it.  But there is nothing to be debated here: there is zero proof for these claims and they were clearly just made up. 

Maybe I shouldn't let one stupid poll get me down, but I do.  this shit genuinely upsets and bothers me, as it is indicative of people ignoring facts and reality.  I am truly losing my faith in humanity, day by day.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
Re: Daily Record poll
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 11:47:23 AM »
Is it wrong that I'm pretty much under the assumption that every. single. digital. message is compromised?

Using that logic, I would say that sure, his lines were 'wiretapped'.  Do I think that Obama personally listened had it set up or listened in?  Not really.  He was at the end of his 2nd term and on the way out.  Why would he give 2 fucks what the new guy coming in was planning?
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Tacachale

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 11:52:14 AM »
Online polls of that nature say nothing about the actual readership of the Daily Record. It says that online polls are easily manipulated by people who really care one way or another about the subject and vote with all their email addresses or whatever, and most people just ignore it.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Murder_me_Rachel

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 11:55:53 AM »
Online polls of that nature say nothing about the actual readership of the Daily Record. It says that online polls are easily manipulated by people who really care one way or another about the subject and vote with all their email addresses or whatever, and most people just ignore it.

That is kind of what I was trying to tell myself and, if that was CNN or something, I'd be inclined to feel that way.  But this is a tiny newspaper, where I think the only people are voting are the few of us who read the Daily Record every day.  I don't know, maybe I am just too inclined to pessimism these days.  They had another poll a few weeks ago where something like 70% of respondents said they'd rate Trump's job so far as "excellent".  This shit really, really bums me out on a deep level.

remc86007

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 12:07:19 PM »
I think that Trump voters at this point are largely on the defensive and looking for outlets to justify "their guy."

I'm sure I'm not the only potential "no" vote that saw the poll, perceived it as the rough equivalent of being asked "is the sky blue?," and couldn't be bothered to vote.

Tacachale

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 12:18:24 PM »
Online surveys are flawed in that there's no way to get a statistically random sample. Even among Daily Record readers (I expect their readership is wider than one might think considering it's the official court paper and also has pretty solid downtown reporting) there would be no way to get a random sample without calling people. Otherwise, it's a battle between people who actually care, and the ones who care most will vote as many times as they can. The only surprising thing here is that the number isn't higher.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 12:18:52 PM »

Think of it like one of the many "Noone" generated polls here... who really votes in them??
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

KenFSU

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 12:19:57 PM »
Daily Record doesn't post number of votes or total readership numbers, but I think it's fairly safe to guess that the margin of error for the poll well exceeds the 8% difference in votes.

And yes, just looking at the Daily Record's website, it doesn't appear that you need to be logged in to vote or anything. Casting multiple votes looks to be as easy as switching devices, going incognito/clearing your cookies, or, at worst, maybe using a VPN or proxy if it's IP based.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

Downtown Osprey

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 12:26:14 PM »
Sad!

Cheshire Cat

• Diane Melendez is Cheshire Cat
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2017, 12:36:55 PM »
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fbi-s-comey-testifies-house-intel-committee-russia-n735696

The FBI director also dealt the president's credibility a blow when he said he "has no information that supports" Trump's allegation from two weeks ago that President Obama ordered surveillance of his communications in Trump Tower during the campaign.

Only courts grant permission for electronic surveillance, Comey told lawmakers, and "no individual in the United States can direct electronic surveillance of anyone."
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:38:51 PM by Cheshire Cat »
Diane Melendez

Captain Zissou

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 01:00:50 PM »

Think of it like one of the many "Noone" generated polls here... who really votes in them??

ME.... and those Baltimore guys.

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 01:47:31 PM »
As someone in computer networking and telecommunications, I can tell you Trump's claims are unsurprisingly bogus.

I-10east

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 07:48:41 PM »
Most conservatives: Obama wiretapped Trump Tower, and Trump had no connection with the Kremlin.
Most liberals: Trump Tower wasn't wiretapped, and Trump knowingly conspired with Putin to sabotage Hillary in the election.

That JDR poll is basically a political mud slinging contest. I'm just staying tuned til further notice for as those two allegations, although both are looking like nothing burgers so far.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 07:59:44 PM by I-10east »

spuwho

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 09:31:47 PM »

ME.... and those Baltimore guys.

Baltimore guys 2014-412. LOSERS!

Vote for your REEF IN the RIVER.

I'm voting for the AARP REEF IN the RIVER south of the Fuller Warren Bridge.
I'm voting for the JU REEF IN the RIVER south of the Fuller Warren Bridge.

67 counties in the state of Florida
Visit Jacksonville! Mr. Paul Astleford

See what you brought us Tach?