Author Topic: Workspace: New owner of J&W Discount says Murray Hill store is a ‘treasure hunt’  (Read 1164 times)

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
By Caren Burmeister, Contributing Writer

Mike Danhour walks to a glass display case at J&W Discount Store in Murray Hill and proudly points to Beats Solo3 wireless headphones.
“This retails for $220 — I just saw it at that price at the airport — and we sell it here for $150,” said Danhour, the store’s new owner.

With its peeling floors, dark corners and dusty shelves, the store at 4045 Post St. has seen better days. But that’s about to change.

The 12,000-square-foot business off Edgewood Avenue, west of the Murray Hill Theatre, sells discounted clothing, furniture, electronics, packaged groceries and household goods.

Full article: http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=549552
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

johnnyliar

One of the ugliest buildings inside and out I've seen in the urban core.
If he can manage to make it look nice that would be a huge plus. That huge white wall with the graffiti on it would be a great wall for a Murray Hill Mural Project Mural!

ProjectMaximus

Haha Lake, I guess he managed to find a buyer as-is. Glad to see this. When I called him he was looking at selling to a Dollar Store franchise or something like that.

Adam White

• Facebook
That place is something else. It will be interesting to see how - or if - it changes. Certainly one of the more depressing shops I've ever visited.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
I had no idea that they sold clothes in there.  Driving by, I always thought it was a local version of a Dollar General or something.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
I've been in there off and on.  More to look around than to buy.  And he's (Dan, the owner) is right - often times he has a few name-brand items in there at a heavily discounted price.  I chalk it up to 'don't ask where it came from'.   The only 'major' purchase that I've ever made from there was a 27" LCD TV w/ built-in DVD for my son.  I think I paid about $100 for it and at the time, about 6-7 years ago, a cheap 30" flat-screen was going for about $400.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

Mdanhour

If he can manage to make it look nice that would be a huge plus. That huge white wall with the graffiti on it would be a great wall for a Murray Hill Mural Project Mural!

That's a good idea, thank you - I'll reach out to them and see if they have an interest!

Give me about 30 days to get the renovations done, we'll be having a grand opening of some sort. Would love to have members of the community out to see the place.

boydbettis

I love J&W...bought a ton of good finds from there!!

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Sounds like a Murray Hill version of Sheps...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

blizz01

Haha - I walked out of there with 2 cans of spaghetti-o's and a Lacoste t-shirt a few years ago. 

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic

On a smaller scale, but yes, this is a fairly accurate statement.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

benfranklinbof

• Murray Hill Billy
They should learn from solomons ventures.
J & W has one of the best spots in Murray hill. Its a descent size building with a nice size parking lot.

I go there to get cheap Halloween candy for the neighborhood kids.
Murray Hill Billy

johnnyliar

That's a good idea, thank you - I'll reach out to them and see if they have an interest!

Give me about 30 days to get the renovations done, we'll be having a grand opening of some sort. Would love to have members of the community out to see the place.

I feel like the would certainly line you up with a great artist and for super cheap. Definitely worth it.

jaxlore

Its been years since I have been in there.

Adam White

• Facebook

Just saw this:

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/local/owner-of-sheps-discount-store-arrested-in-connection-to-multistate-cargo-theft-ring/505054764

William "Shep" Ellison, 70, was arrested in connection with a cargo theft ring "that stole semi-trucks and trailers with various carog (sic) from areas in Georgia and Florida," according to a release from the office of Florida Attorney General Pam Bondi.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”