Author Topic: William Stephen (Dare?) Griffin  (Read 13448 times)

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
Re: William Stephen (Dare?) Griffin
« Reply #150 on: March 20, 2017, 12:49:58 PM »
You've addressed this before, but it's still amusing to me how some people here are under the impression that this message board generates revenue.

I'm sure it is very little, but there has to be some revenue because there are ads on the site. As I said earlier, I'd be willing to pay a subscription fee or contribute to a Patreon if it got rid of the ads and allowed the owners to produce more original content.
The google ads (which are a pain in the ass) basically pay for the O&M of the site (ex. server, photo host site, etc.) without us having to pay those expenses out of our own pockets.  I, and others, basically write as a hobby and for the love of the city. To pay our bills most of us have real jobs outside of the blogs.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:53:18 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #151 on: March 20, 2017, 01:46:08 PM »
You've addressed this before, but it's still amusing to me how some people here are under the impression that this message board generates revenue.

I'm sure it is very little, but there has to be some revenue because there are ads on the site. As I said earlier, I'd be willing to pay a subscription fee or contribute to a Patreon if it got rid of the ads and allowed the owners to produce more original content.
The google ads (which are a pain in the ass) basically pay for the O&M of the site (ex. server, photo host site, etc.) without us having to pay those expenses out of our own pockets.  I, and others, basically write as a hobby and for the love of the city. To pay our bills most of us have real jobs outside of the blogs.
I've already spoken with Dan about it but I can drop your server costs to $0.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #152 on: March 20, 2017, 01:55:55 PM »
Yes, yesterday he told us about how you can help.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

I-10east

« Reply #153 on: March 20, 2017, 07:28:36 PM »
Thanks Ken. I appreciate the kind remarks. :)

spuwho

« Reply #154 on: March 20, 2017, 09:37:41 PM »

I have (at times) almost started a thread called "The Very Best of MJ Ad's" with clip outs of of the most ludicrous ads to show how laughable they are. "The Hidden secret of Don Knotts", not once,, hey but twice! Ad's of Trump looking at his daughter, either from the front or the back, very weird.  Click bait that reaches for the lowest order of interest.

I know, I know, it pays the bills.  But you have to admit, they do provoke a laugh or two at the strange factor.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #155 on: March 20, 2017, 11:37:40 PM »
Lol, I think that's your viewing habits. I've never seen any of those.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #156 on: March 21, 2017, 04:00:12 AM »
I have (at times) almost started a thread called "The Very Best of MJ Ad's" with clip outs of of the most ludicrous ads to show how laughable they are. "The Hidden secret of Don Knotts", not once,, hey but twice!

A rare glimpse into the sordid private world of spuwho.

*shudders*
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 04:08:36 AM by Adam White »
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

peestandingup

« Reply #157 on: March 21, 2017, 05:58:09 AM »
PSU can post as often as he likes... 8)

*Steps to mic* Hel....hello?? :)

Oh hi! So yeah, I haven't posted since Stephen pulled his thread shenanigans on me months ago (made a thread in my name to discredit me because he didn't like my criticism with how he was steering the conversations or the site in general). Not out of anger or anything, but I honestly just didn't wanna add anymore fuel, revenue, page views, whatever to that type of behavior. It was a "why even bother?" type of thing.

I personally did think Stephen contributed a lot, and he's a friend of mine as well, but I also can see why the decision was made to perma ban him. I think for every good solid discussion or "man on the ground" thread, there were 10 that were completely off the rails with shitty (and obviously bias) sources that were created as a means to push some hardlined agenda, silence any real debate & keep a narrative going. Any pushback (or even just acknowledgment) of this was met with harsh pile ons (from a select few, which may or may not have been the same person). If you look back in my history, I literally warned him for probably the last two years that this would drive users away & ultimately be the end of the site. Round & round we went, and you know how it goes. I was crazy, I was a conspiracy nut, I was this or that, and it'd just continue on, rinse & repeat. Even though he knew personally none of this was true. So now, here we are.

It was always my feeling that the co-owner of the site should take a more relaxed view to certain topics, to set an example & encourage open discussions. Obviously he didn't do that. So much so that he went to great lengths to defend this behavior with name calling, bans, mud slinging & discrediting campaigns. As him being the co captain of the ship, and the most active poster by far, he never quite got that (or never cared to). Because after all, he was right & you were wrong. Always. I sincerely hope he learns from all this & tries to at least acknowledge this & better himself in this regard. He is a talented & smart guy, just needs to work on a bit of online decorum & not taking things so personal.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #158 on: March 21, 2017, 06:25:26 AM »
Just because you're a crazy conspiracy nut doesn't mean you can't be right every once in awhile  :D
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #159 on: March 21, 2017, 06:36:42 AM »
PSU can post as often as he likes... 8)

*Steps to mic* Hel....hello?? :)

Oh hi! So yeah, I haven't posted since Stephen pulled his thread shenanigans on me months ago (made a thread in my name to discredit me because he didn't like my criticism with how he was steering the conversations or the site in general). Not out of anger or anything, but I honestly just didn't wanna add anymore fuel, revenue, page views, whatever to that type of behavior. It was a "why even bother?" type of thing.

I personally did think Stephen contributed a lot, and he's a friend of mine as well, but I also can see why the decision was made to perma ban him. I think for every good solid discussion or "man on the ground" thread, there were 10 that were completely off the rails with shitty (and obviously bias) sources that were created as a means to push some hardlined agenda, silence any real debate & keep a narrative going. Any pushback (or even just acknowledgment) of this was met with harsh pile ons (from a select few, which may or may not have been the same person). If you look back in my history, I literally warned him for probably the last two years that this would drive users away & ultimately be the end of the site. Round & round we went, and you know how it goes. I was crazy, I was a conspiracy nut, I was this or that, and it'd just continue on, rinse & repeat. Even though he knew personally none of this was true. So now, here we are.

It was always my feeling that the co-owner of the site should take a more relaxed view to certain topics, to set an example & encourage open discussions. Obviously he didn't do that. So much so that he went to great lengths to defend this behavior with name calling, bans, mud slinging & discrediting campaigns. As him being the co captain of the ship, and the most active poster by far, he never quite got that (or never cared to). Because after all, he was right & you were wrong. Always. I sincerely hope he learns from all this & tries to at least acknowledge this & better himself in this regard. He is a talented & smart guy, just needs to work on a bit of online decorum & not taking things so personal.

Welcome back... your clearly out of practice because you forgot to... drop the mic...  :)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

peestandingup

« Reply #160 on: March 21, 2017, 11:20:53 AM »
Just because you're a crazy conspiracy nut doesn't mean you can't be right every once in awhile  :D

Bill Clinton is a rapist & they're making the damn frogs gay. En foe wers dot com! :D

Welcome back... your clearly out of practice because you forgot to... drop the mic...  :)

I never drop my own mic sir. Classy that way. ;)

spuwho

« Reply #161 on: March 21, 2017, 12:24:19 PM »
I have (at times) almost started a thread called "The Very Best of MJ Ad's" with clip outs of of the most ludicrous ads to show how laughable they are. "The Hidden secret of Don Knotts", not once,, hey but twice!

A rare glimpse into the sordid private world of spuwho.

*shudders*

Too funny. I do know how ads work and I havent been to any of these sites.

Right now I use Firefox Android to look at MJ and it doesnt have an ad blocker like I do at home. So its the only place I see MJ ads.

Honestly it crashes alot on MJ, mostly due to your front page refresh script and was about to give it up for Chrome Android.

But you would get a laugh at these ads, they are really off the wall.

My life has enough excitement as it is, dont need the sordid to add any drama!

RattlerGator

« Reply #162 on: March 22, 2017, 11:01:19 AM »
. . . and he's a friend of mine as well . . .

Wut !?!

peestandingup

« Reply #163 on: March 22, 2017, 11:11:09 AM »

Cheshire Cat

• Diane Melendez is Cheshire Cat
« Reply #164 on: March 22, 2017, 09:57:17 PM »
From Folio today.

One of those old friends who made a habit of shredding me: Stephen Dare, in his previous position at Metro Jacksonville. During the mayoral race, Dare often questioned my credibility in posts and whatever on the site, even issuing a moratorium on links to my posts. I never registered for the forum but, like most writers, if someone is writing about me, I’m reading it.

I respect others’ opinions, in that I wholly subscribe to their rights to have them, just as I have mine. I’d see Dare around, and the conversations were always cordial, and I expect that if I saw him again, the conversation would still be cordial.

How to reconcile those cordial conversations with the one-sided cyber-antipathy? I don’t know. Dynamics are complex and people have multiple narratives. Which leads me, by way of extended preamble, to whatever’s going on with Metro Jacksonville.[/quote[ 

For full commentary click link below.
http://folioweekly.com/slings-arrows,17179
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 09:59:08 PM by Cheshire Cat »
Diane Melendez