Author Topic: William Stephen (Dare?) Griffin  (Read 34804 times)

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
Re: William Stephen (Dare?) Griffin
« Reply #135 on: March 19, 2017, 06:38:53 PM »
I'd argue bringing in clicks was highly exaggerated.  If you run off half the people in the city that's not the recipe for traffic growth.  Case in point, traffic is up.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

I-10east

« Reply #136 on: March 19, 2017, 11:02:36 PM »
Far as I'm concerned, MJ is headed in the right direction. It's ironic that suddenly everyone for the most part is getting along pretty well, coincidence? Liberals and conservatives on MJ are all gonna turn into centrists. :)   

bill

« Reply #137 on: March 20, 2017, 01:18:27 AM »
Mt $.02- I understand disputes happen and all, but I am sill incensed that all of his prior postings were removed- I can only hope there is a legal/logical explanation. I am a latecomer to this site, I found it purely by accident looking up articles about downtown. But there were some truly epic articles that were written by him that contributed to the public discussion of this city. His comments not so much perhaps, but still.

Broken clock is still right twice a day

acme54321

« Reply #138 on: March 20, 2017, 05:46:04 AM »
I would be willing to bet he is the one that removed it all.  Or at least requested it removed.

funwithteeth

« Reply #139 on: March 20, 2017, 11:03:27 AM »
I'd argue bringing in clicks was highly exaggerated.  If you run off half the people in the city that's not the recipe for traffic growth.  Case in point, traffic is up.
You've addressed this before, but it's still amusing to me how some people here are under the impression that this message board generates revenue.

Todd_Parker

« Reply #140 on: March 20, 2017, 11:37:56 AM »
So, what does this all mean for a potential aquarium in downtown Jax?

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2017, 11:48:46 AM »
Well, I hope to see others return to the forum as well....some of us go way back to 2007.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 01:59:10 PM by fsujax »

remc86007

« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2017, 12:13:17 PM »
You've addressed this before, but it's still amusing to me how some people here are under the impression that this message board generates revenue.

I'm sure it is very little, but there has to be some revenue because there are ads on the site. As I said earlier, I'd be willing to pay a subscription fee or contribute to a Patreon if it got rid of the ads and allowed the owners to produce more original content.

Downtown Osprey

« Reply #143 on: March 20, 2017, 12:26:58 PM »
I miss the lively debates between stephen and PeeStandingUp. Hopefully he wasn't banned.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #144 on: March 20, 2017, 12:32:00 PM »
PSU can post as often as he likes... 8)
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Cheshire Cat

• Diane Melendez is Cheshire Cat
« Reply #145 on: March 20, 2017, 12:32:43 PM »
But there were some truly epic articles that were written by him that contributed to the public discussion of this city. His comments not so much perhaps, but still.

For every nugget and amazing factoid, he peppered in stuff that simply wasn't accurate, and maybe even wholly made up. He operates in the gray area between truth and, well, you know.

He brings/brought tremendous energy, a cheeky sarcasm, a love of history, and drive that I always admired, but not a single scruple to match.

In conversations, It wasnt enough to have more proof, or simply accept a difference of opinion, he would occasionally go on these wildly unnecessary scorched earth campaigns against anyone he felt slighted him.

Yes, he brought clicks, but he also pushed away a lot of great community contributors, a few board members and more than a few admins.
Exactly.  Well put and on the mark.
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

KenFSU

« Reply #146 on: March 20, 2017, 12:34:34 PM »
Far as I'm concerned, MJ is headed in the right direction. It's ironic that suddenly everyone for the most part is getting along pretty well, coincidence? Liberals and conservatives on MJ are all gonna turn into centrists. :)   

I-10, IT'S SAFE TO COME OUT :D :D :D

I admire the fact that you never left, even after years of name-calling and abuse.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:36:42 PM by KenFSU »
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #147 on: March 20, 2017, 12:49:58 PM »

I'm sure it is very little, but there has to be some revenue because there are ads on the site. As I said earlier, I'd be willing to pay a subscription fee or contribute to a Patreon if it got rid of the ads and allowed the owners to produce more original content.
The google ads (which are a pain in the ass) basically pay for the O&M of the site (ex. server, photo host site, etc.) without us having to pay those expenses out of our own pockets.  I, and others, basically write as a hobby and for the love of the city. To pay our bills most of us have real jobs outside of the blogs.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:53:18 PM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2017, 01:46:08 PM »

The google ads (which are a pain in the ass) basically pay for the O&M of the site (ex. server, photo host site, etc.) without us having to pay those expenses out of our own pockets.  I, and others, basically write as a hobby and for the love of the city. To pay our bills most of us have real jobs outside of the blogs.
I've already spoken with Dan about it but I can drop your server costs to $0.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #149 on: March 20, 2017, 01:55:55 PM »
Yes, yesterday he told us about how you can help.