Author Topic: Letter from homeless woman to mayor  (Read 1586 times)

jlmann

Re: Letter from homeless woman to mayor
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 10:30:19 AM »
I legitimately feel sorry that the main issue for most of these people is a lack of a parent or caring person to teach and guide them along the way to becoming a productive member of society.

But as I recall you don't always like your parents when they're doing their job.  And so when your boss tells you to work Saturday you have some experience with the plain and simple fact that life isn't always like you want it to be and sometimes people tell you what to do. And you listen.

There lives do suck compared to ours.  But no one at First Coast is talking about how god awful it is to not have a job and live on the streets. 

The state is the parent for these people, but it's acting like the crappy parents who just want their kids to like them.

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT)
    • Music and Personal Info Website
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 10:12:25 AM »
I know the story was by Wendy Jenkins, but WHO is the homeless woman that wrote this to Curry? I applaud her; anyone know?
DONATE TODAY TO HELP ALL WHO ARE IN NEED BY CLICKING HERE ON MY MUSIC WEBISTE: http://HTTP://WWW.REVERBNATION.COM/COSTON; ALL PURCHASES ARE DONATIONS TO HELP ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE NEEDY, UNDERPRIVILEGED AND DISADVANTAGED.

heights unknown

« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 10:32:22 AM »
As a Social Service Worker and homeless advocate, I am here to tell everyone, you will never truly understand the plight of those that are homeless, needy, underprivileged and disadvantaged unless YOU'VE BEEN THERE. I agree, and believe along with the homeless lady, that those in city/county leadership need to "get out there" sometimes and talk with and get to know those in the homeless sect and population; this will better help them to understand the needs of those in this sect and population. I hope no one, I repeat, NO ONE, ever has to experience homelessness; I have, and believe me, it was not by choice. Sometimes bad things happen to good people, for whatever reason, whether by divine design, or BAD CHOICES. However, that doesn't mean that society as a whole must turn their back on this problem, grimace their lips, wag their heads, and pretend it is not THEIR or OUR problem; it is everyone's problem and WE must address it; we are all on this planet together and whatever happens, whether good or bad, affects each and everyone of us. WE all must learn to quit pointing fingers, wagging heads with grimacing our lips, and pretending the problem doesn't exist or is not our problem, and find SOLUTIONS TO THIS PROBLEM; I hate to say it but THEIR problem is OUR PROBLEM and until we learn to address and provide solutions to the homeless problem, it will always be there staring us in the face. How that's done, sadly, is up to people in leadership positions, whether city, county, state, etc., that don't fully understand or understand at all the plight of the homeless; maybe they should be cast into homelessness for a month or so so that they will understand; however, in the meantime, City, County, State, and Federal Leaders need to provide more resources and solutions to address and eradicate homelessness. Yes there are criminals in that sect; however, there are also Doctors, Lawyers, Businessmen, Families, Mothers, Fathers, even Children that have fallen into homelessness who are not criminals or bad or "reject" type of people; however we must help them all get out of homelessness and back into the viable mainstream of society (if their background, education, etc. allows and dictates it and if they choose or really want to get our of homelessness). Also, shutting down resource centers, and other avenues of help is certainly not the answer Mayor Curry. When you do that you throw them out into the parks, bushes, libraries, abandoned buildings and other areas that they can "hang out" at until the overnight sleep centers open where they can get a "hot and a cot." Open the resource center(s) back up Curry, but ensure it is not a "baby bottle" for them; the resource centers must be designed yes to provide computers for job hunting and liaison for education and links back into the mainstream of society, but also a resource especially for those who were thrust into homelessness for whatever reason but who had never been homeless before in hopes that they can, if they choose, use the day center resource to quickly bounce up, bounce back, and once again be a vital/viable member within the work force and society. There are some very very gifted, talented, and educated people who are homeless, and most have been that way for years. Once you get into that vicious circle Curry it is very hard to get back out. I could keep going and write a book just in this post of ways and means that must be initiated in order to help, assist, and hopefully pull individuals, and families if they choose, out of homelessness. So take note Curry, do your job, quit wagging your head, looking down below your reading glasses, and initiate a plan of action along with milestones to help the homeless out of their situation and back as viable, vital members of our society.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:58:43 AM by heights unknown »
DONATE TODAY TO HELP ALL WHO ARE IN NEED BY CLICKING HERE ON MY MUSIC WEBISTE: http://HTTP://WWW.REVERBNATION.COM/COSTON; ALL PURCHASES ARE DONATIONS TO HELP ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE NEEDY, UNDERPRIVILEGED AND DISADVANTAGED.

heights unknown

« Reply #18 on: Yesterday at 10:45:35 AM »
One more important item that I left out; in providing those resources, we must initiate, through case management/intake, an assessment model that will, through counseling and other initiatives, find out the "ROOT CAUSE" of WHY THAT PERSON BECAME HOMELESS or in need; root causes, for example can be but not limited to: ILLNESSES, DISABILITIES, DRUG USE/ABUSE, ALCOHOL USE/ABUSE, MENTAL ILLNESS, JOB/EMPLOYMENT LOSS, BEING IN PRISON OR JAIL FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME, RECURRING PRISON/JAIL OCCURRENCE (USUSALLY RESULTING IN SOME OF THE AFOREMENTIONED), BEING ELDERLY AND UNABLE TO CARE FOR YOURSELF, and I could go on and on but get the drift? Yes, it will mean spending thousands or millions of dollars to support such initiatives, but if we can get people OFF THE STREETS AND BACK TO WORK, wouldn't it, in the short or long term, pay off to not only those individuals who were homeless, but also our society as a whole?

civil42806

« Reply #19 on: Yesterday at 03:46:29 PM »
As a Social Service Worker and homeless advocate, I am here to tell everyone, you will never truly understand the plight of those that are homeless, needy, underprivileged and disadvantaged unless YOU'VE BEEN THERE. I agree, and believe along with the homeless lady, that those in city/county leadership need to "get out there" sometimes and talk with and get to know those in the homeless sect and population; this will better help them to understand the needs of those in this sect and population. I hope no one, I repeat, NO ONE, ever has to experience homelessness; I have, and believe me, it was not by choice. Sometimes bad things happen to good people, for whatever reason, whether by divine design, or BAD CHOICES. However, that doesn't mean that society as a whole must turn their back on this problem, grimace their lips, wag their heads, and pretend it is not THEIR or OUR problem; it is everyone's problem and WE must address it; we are all on this planet together and whatever happens, whether good or bad, affects each and everyone of us. WE all must learn to quit pointing fingers, wagging heads with grimacing our lips, and pretending the problem doesn't exist or is not our problem, and find SOLUTIONS TO THIS PROBLEM; I hate to say it but THEIR problem is OUR PROBLEM and until we learn to address and provide solutions to the homeless problem, it will always be there staring us in the face. How that's done, sadly, is up to people in leadership positions, whether city, county, state, etc., that don't fully understand or understand at all the plight of the homeless; maybe they should be cast into homelessness for a month or so so that they will understand; however, in the meantime, City, County, State, and Federal Leaders need to provide more resources and solutions to address and eradicate homelessness. Yes there are criminals in that sect; however, there are also Doctors, Lawyers, Businessmen, Families, Mothers, Fathers, even Children that have fallen into homelessness who are not criminals or bad or "reject" type of people; however we must help them all get out of homelessness and back into the viable mainstream of society (if their background, education, etc. allows and dictates it and if they choose or really want to get our of homelessness). Also, shutting down resource centers, and other avenues of help is certainly not the answer Mayor Curry. When you do that you throw them out into the parks, bushes, libraries, abandoned buildings and other areas that they can "hang out" at until the overnight sleep centers open where they can get a "hot and a cot." Open the resource center(s) back up Curry, but ensure it is not a "baby bottle" for them; the resource centers must be designed yes to provide computers for job hunting and liaison for education and links back into the mainstream of society, but also a resource especially for those who were thrust into homelessness for whatever reason but who had never been homeless before in hopes that they can, if they choose, use the day center resource to quickly bounce up, bounce back, and once again be a vital/viable member within the work force and society. There are some very very gifted, talented, and educated people who are homeless, and most have been that way for years. Once you get into that vicious circle Curry it is very hard to get back out. I could keep going and write a book just in this post of ways and means that must be initiated in order to help, assist, and hopefully pull individuals, and families if they choose, out of homelessness. So take note Curry, do your job, quit wagging your head, looking down below your reading glasses, and initiate a plan of action along with milestones to help the homeless out of their situation and back as viable
, vital members of our society.

paragraphs are your friend

ronchamblin

« Reply #20 on: Today at 09:41:43 AM »
This homeless thing is fun, because it is a problem to be solved.  Most humans love solving problems.  I hear the often repeated word “We”, when one talks about action against a problem, as is the case via HU above.  I wonder about this “we” … what it is … who it is.

WE can “experience, endure, and suffer” together, as if democratically, but WE cannot “act” democratically because of the dysfunctions of the process.   

As any society, community, or nation descends further toward, or hovers around, an oligarchic/plutocratic/kleptocratic reality … or an increasingly complacent and comfortable, and perhaps dumbed down reality ... “we” tends to be a fiction ... an absurd word to use to affect a solution to a problem such as homelessness. 

To speak as if “we” can offer great impact upon solutions is to be delusional … it becomes meaningless … a  nonsense term.

A great war … a good war … as if there have ever been any … provides a unity that could give more validity to the term “we”.  A powerful religion … a great and charismatic leader … or an invasion from outer space would do the same.  Or … one of the gods forbid … a society composed of citizens oriented to a secular stability via reasonable knowledge of the mechanisms of the universe … including most realities of the human condition... with the added attributes of possessing high moral virtues, would also give validity to the term “we” … as it might be assumed that there would be less occasions of insanely obsessive quest and exploitation for power, money, and elitist comforts … all of which destroys unity, and thus the existence of and actions from a “we”.   

So … if one cannot participate in a valid and effective democratic process to assert an effective “we”, what can one do?  Of course, we experience the consequence of doing almost nothing .. which is what HU has said above.  And that is the stable condition within which we’ve settled.

At this point, only an increase of the “homeless problem” to one of absurd levels, or a strong and determined leadership, can generate and assert the powerful assets and energies inherent in many thousands of citizens … citizens who perhaps are aware of the homeless problem, but … resting comfortably in the status quo of America …  believe they’ve no democratic process through which to project the power of a “we”.

Currently as a consequence of having a business in the middle of the core, I’ve discovered and hired five people who had been living on the streets.  And as HU has commented upon, there are people living on the streets who have good skills … people who’ve had bad luck … lost a gamble on something … driven down to homelessness via a spouse on drugs etc etc.

My decisions to hire the homeless when possible is via the same pressure to hire the minorities usually shunned for various reasons.  First of all, within the homeless and the minority lies the greatest need and suffering.  Most people enjoy the process of removing suffering from a fellow citizen when possible.

Additionally … as when one rescues a lost or abandoned dog … one gathers great loyalty when one hires the homeless or the recently released jail person.  Desperation often encourages loyalty, appreciation, and energy for work.

Two of the individuals are white males of the species, and three are black.  One white male was on the street for two years … reading on my cafe patio for many weeks while I worked on this or that.  He helped me on day when I repaired a winch for the patio door.  I began to realize that this guy had knowledge and skills not possessed by most college graduates.  He has become a great asset to our operation.  He now has a truck, is renting a house, and has a bank account.

Another white male was standing on the street under the awning in the rain.  Wondering why he was standing there so long in the night, I asked him where he was staying.  He said on the street.  I took him home to a shower and one of my bedrooms for a night.  If this homeless person had been a difference sex, I would have entertained other comforts.  A decent fellow … falling on bad times.  About three weeks later, one of my workers was arrested for the stupidest of reasons by our clueless and abusive “justice” system.  So I hired this homeless white male to learn the shipping process.  He now has an automobile and an apartment.  And the other fellow, after six weeks in jail, is back at work.  These two white males had nothing but the bags they carried around. 

The other three are black males of the species.  Black person “A” now has a truck and an apartment.  BP “B” has an apartment, and is working on getting a truck.  And BP “C” just got out of a one year jail term ..  jailed for the stupidest of reasons.  I don’t yet know if he has a permanent place to stay, but if he stabilizes, which I suspect he will if the “justice” system gives him a chance, he will purchase a vehicle.

I’ve lent two of these former homeless people funds at no interest to purchase vehicles.  One loan is paid off, and the other almost.  Two of these former homeless persons have reached the point where they have bank accounts and credit cards. 

I inform of the above not to toot my own horn, but to emphasize what an individual can do “if” they have the mechanism in place “such as a business in the core” that has job descriptions allowing the hiring.  And I must admit that I enjoy immensely seeing someone down and out, come up to stability via my efforts.  I make decisions regarding the homeless and minorities for selfish reasons too, as they are more loyal, and more inclined to work … having the memories of being homeless upon their minds.

Must get my old ford on the road.  All I must do is install the floorboards, the front grill, hook up the radiator hoses, install the starter, hook up the carburetor, charge the battery, and fill it with oil and water.

The flathead V8 has been rebuilt.  Someone recommended a break-in oil composed of 30 weight oil with a teaspoon of white sand per quart of oil. Does this make sense? 

« Last Edit: Today at 07:05:04 PM by ronchamblin »

Scarlettjax

« Reply #21 on: Today at 06:31:51 PM »
Ron, thanks for what you are doing to help where you can.  That's putting your money where your mouth is, as opposed to those who simply complain and think that stricter enforcement (punishment) is going to change people.  We (whoever we are) have been doing the punishment drill for decades now, with little to show for it.  But for some, the vicarious thrill they get out of hurting overcomes the effort of helping.  Nothing we say or do will change their minds, only personal experience will turn them to a different way of thinking. 

And don't break in your flathead Ford like that.  That would truly be punishment.

heights unknown

« Reply #22 on: Today at 11:16:56 PM »
As a Social Service Worker and homeless advocate, I am here to tell everyone, you will never truly understand the plight of those that are homeless, needy, underprivileged and disadvantaged unless YOU'VE BEEN THERE. I agree, and believe along with the homeless lady, that those in city/county leadership need to "get out there" sometimes and talk with and get to know those in the homeless sect and population; this will better help them to understand the needs of those in this sect and population. I hope no one, I repeat, NO ONE, ever has to experience homelessness; I have, and believe me, it was not by choice. Sometimes bad things happen to good people, for whatever reason, whether by divine design, or BAD CHOICES. However, that doesn't mean that society as a whole must turn their back on this problem, grimace their lips, wag their heads, and pretend it is not THEIR or OUR problem; it is everyone's problem and WE must address it; we are all on this planet together and whatever happens, whether good or bad, affects each and everyone of us. WE all must learn to quit pointing fingers, wagging heads with grimacing our lips, and pretending the problem doesn't exist or is not our problem, and find SOLUTIONS TO THIS PROBLEM; I hate to say it but THEIR problem is OUR PROBLEM and until we learn to address and provide solutions to the homeless problem, it will always be there staring us in the face. How that's done, sadly, is up to people in leadership positions, whether city, county, state, etc., that don't fully understand or understand at all the plight of the homeless; maybe they should be cast into homelessness for a month or so so that they will understand; however, in the meantime, City, County, State, and Federal Leaders need to provide more resources and solutions to address and eradicate homelessness. Yes there are criminals in that sect; however, there are also Doctors, Lawyers, Businessmen, Families, Mothers, Fathers, even Children that have fallen into homelessness who are not criminals or bad or "reject" type of people; however we must help them all get out of homelessness and back into the viable mainstream of society (if their background, education, etc. allows and dictates it and if they choose or really want to get our of homelessness). Also, shutting down resource centers, and other avenues of help is certainly not the answer Mayor Curry. When you do that you throw them out into the parks, bushes, libraries, abandoned buildings and other areas that they can "hang out" at until the overnight sleep centers open where they can get a "hot and a cot." Open the resource center(s) back up Curry, but ensure it is not a "baby bottle" for them; the resource centers must be designed yes to provide computers for job hunting and liaison for education and links back into the mainstream of society, but also a resource especially for those who were thrust into homelessness for whatever reason but who had never been homeless before in hopes that they can, if they choose, use the day center resource to quickly bounce up, bounce back, and once again be a vital/viable member within the work force and society. There are some very very gifted, talented, and educated people who are homeless, and most have been that way for years. Once you get into that vicious circle Curry it is very hard to get back out. I could keep going and write a book just in this post of ways and means that must be initiated in order to help, assist, and hopefully pull individuals, and families if they choose, out of homelessness. So take note Curry, do your job, quit wagging your head, looking down below your reading glasses, and initiate a plan of action along with milestones to help the homeless out of their situation and back as viable
, vital members of our society.

paragraphs are your friend
CIVIL 42806.......And reading is YOUR friend; so regardless of paragraphs, in which they are not mandatory in my book and opinion, KEEP READING FRIEND!
« Last Edit: Today at 11:20:05 PM by heights unknown »