Author Topic: Letter from homeless woman to mayor  (Read 3454 times)

remc86007

Letter from homeless woman to mayor
« on: February 16, 2017, 12:14:48 PM »
Below is an open letter to Curry, written by a homeless woman, regarding the homeless population in and around Hemming Park.

http://folioweekly.com/A-Homeless-Womans-Open-Letter-to-LENNY-CURRY,16971

Why was the Jacksonville Day Resource Center closed?

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
Re: Letter from homeless woman to mayor
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 12:23:23 PM »
Homeless day center in Downtown closing today

By David Chapman, Staff Writer

It’s been a place for the homeless to beat the heat.
To take a shower, do some laundry and use the restroom three days a week.

The Jacksonville Day Resource Center opened just under two years ago as a pilot program. At about 4 p.m. today, the experiment is ending.

Despite pleas from one group Monday to City Council members to keep it open, the center had run its natural life, said Dawn Gilman, CEO of Changing Homelessness.

Grant funding wasn’t there. Private sector support isn’t available. The building’s owner wanted it back.

The center’s time was just up.

“We did learn from it,” said Gilman, “And for that reason alone it was a success.”

Full article: https://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=546214
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Murder_me_Rachel

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 12:52:02 PM »

currently the group across from the library sits around all day rolling blunts and cigarettes that they crush up their Medicaid-provided prescriptions into

Hell yeah, you got a connect for them?

Murder_me_Rachel

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 12:55:19 PM »
this woman sounds like she truly needs assistance.  but as someone who walks through or around hemming nearly daily, and has for years, she is the exception.

currently the group across from the library sits around all day rolling blunts and cigarettes that they crush up their Medicaid-provided prescriptions into

across from city hall is the chess and card playing crew

a handful of regulars clearly have mental issues, but nearly every single regular in hemming is able bodied.

the daily resource center, if it exists, should be supplied with tons of lawn equipment and vans.  the 90%+ of sane, able bodied people should get to work like the rest of us

I don't know why people who are wards of the state think they should get these benefits for nothing.  It's like living at your parents house: "if you don't like the rules, find your own place to stay."

the simple truth is the vast majority of people in hemming are capable of work and that there are plenty of jobs available- they just don't want to do the work they're qualified for

1. "a handful of regulars clearly have mental issues, but nearly every single regular in hemming is able bodied."  Certainly you have some sort of data to back this up, yes? It isnt just your plucked-from-thin-air annecdotal observation, surely.

2. I would looooooove for you to end up homeless (by virtue of the reason many homeless are such, like mental instability and/or addiction issues) and report back to us how easily you just went up to the job tree and plucked a job off and magically boot strapped your way to success and stability.

remc86007

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 03:07:26 PM »
the 90%+ of sane, able bodied people should get to work like the rest of us

I don't know why people who are wards of the state think they should get these benefits for nothing.  It's like living at your parents house: "if you don't like the rules, find your own place to stay."

the simple truth is the vast majority of people in hemming are capable of work and that there are plenty of jobs available- they just don't want to do the work they're qualified for

Are you implying that 90% of the homeless in Hemming Park are sane and able bodied?

Do you really think that the people in need of these services are considering the sociopolitical implications of the support system? I'd wager that most of them are simply thankful for the support they receive and do not consider whether they "should get these benefits for nothing."

Would you, provided you were in the position to, be willing to hire "90%" of the homeless in Hemming Park?

Murder_me_Rachel

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 03:55:32 PM »
nearly every single regular in hemming is able bodied
don't need data when you have eyes.  crowds a little thin today due to the cold and now the lunch crowd is gone so handouts are drying up.  but wait for a warmer day when the crowd is larger and people are more active.  the truth I presented is self evident

I would looooooove for you to end up homeless (by virtue of the reason many homeless are such, like mental instability and/or addiction issues) and report back to us how easily you just went up to the job tree and plucked a job off and magically boot strapped your way to success and stability.

well, this will never, ever happen so tough luck pal.  But you very clearly present the problem with your view and the attitude of the lazy hemming denizens.

You don't show up for a job and become successful and stable.  Your first job is probably going to kind of suck, like all first jobs.  But you keep showing up on time and make a good-faith effort.  Then, you might have the chance to get another, less crappy job.  And so on.

Then, one day you might be successful.  But within a matter of months you should be able to use resources available to become stable.

I've known and had a few people work for me (terrible employees that I fired) that could teach a masters class in working the system and the resources freely available.  That knowledge could absolutely and easily be used to find temporary shelter and a job doing manual labor, but it's used instead to live a life where no one tells you what to do and you can sit on your ass all day.

the kim kardashian world we live in has everyone convinced you just show and by day 5 you have everything you want and you never have to do anything unglamorous

Way to completely and utterly miss the point by conflating mental illness and addiction issues (which you can apparently amazingly diagnose just by looking at someone) with a desire not to work.

Further, if you are so jealous of those unemployed and spending all day in Hemming, whiuch you clearly are, why dont you join them if it's so awesome?

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2017, 07:50:23 PM »
the kim kardashian world we live in has everyone convinced you just show and by day 5 you have everything you want and you never have to do anything unglamorous

To be fair, Kim put in some serious acting work with Ray Jay to jump start her career....
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Bill Hoff

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 08:00:14 PM »
I don't think she was acting, Lake.

But I digress....

"Many used to spend their time at the Jacksonville Day Resource Center. This facility helped many people with showers, computer and phone access, housing assistance and many other social services. Sadly, this city’s government, after only two years of operation, shut it down. So where are the homeless supposed to go, Mayor Curry?"

All of the aforementioned services are still available to homeless (and non-homeless, depending) people, but instead of being consolidated at one location, they're spread a bit. So, less convenient, but still available.

A day center would be valuable, but as they say.....location, location, location. What area, besides an exisiting homeless center, is willing to become ground zero for Jacksonville's homeless population? I suspect that the resource center will re-open in, but either (a) not in Downtown proper or (b) at the Sulzbacher Center, once space is available there via the 2nd location on the Northside opening.

We shall see...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 07:07:22 AM by Bill Hoff »

remc86007

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 08:50:51 PM »

All of the aforementioned services are still available to homeless (and non-homeless, depending) people, but instead of being consolidated at one location, they'really spread a bit. So, less convenient, but still available.

I would question not only the convenience, but the availability. The Daily Record indicated that the Resource Center needed about $350k to operate. I have trouble believing that that gap has fully been filled by non-profits around downtown.

Murder_me_Rachel

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 09:22:40 PM »
Way to completely and utterly miss the point by conflating mental illness and addiction issues (which you can apparently amazingly diagnose just by looking at someone) with a desire not to work.

my assumptions are based on extended periods of observation and common sense. 

Common sense would tell you that your assumption that the vast majority people at hemming are incapable of even the most menial work is nonsense.  Because math.  Sure mental health issues are prevalent among the homeless.  But know what?  Even some functional, contributing members of society deal with mental health issues, too.

What's actually amazing is that you know each little snowflake at hemming is a deserving recipient of any and all benefits they may receive, and that anyone thinking even a single one of them could and should be working is a big ole meany conservative.

Not really jealous of their crappy lives- just tired of paying taxes to enable people to perpetually be worthless.

What percentage of the population do you believe has conditions that are truly debilitating to the point that they can do zero work?  any and all work that is.

Now do the math.  And compare that to how many people are on the dole in this country.

I didn't conflate anything- just pointing out the obvious fact that the number of people who truly cannot contribute anything to society is far, far smaller than the number of people who do nothing but live off handouts.

Ands you know what? Life goes on.  I'll personally give you $20 a year to cover your taxes that go to social welfare just to get you, and others like you, to just get over this bullshit.  If you're so tired of working and supporting "those people" then stop working and go join them-- you clearly think hanging out in hemming being poor as shit beats working and not being poor. 

Or, you know, maybe start complaining about the much higher dollars being spent on much more outrageous things than poor people being given trifling sums.  I'm sure every single fucking person in Hemming could be provided for for an entire year or more for the cost of one stupid fucking bomb that's going to extra-judicially kill a teenage American citizen who lives in another country.  But, that doesn't give you the high-and-mighties of talking shit about marginalized people whose lives fucking blow, but yet you act like they're living the high life.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 10:28:47 PM »
Or, you know, maybe start complaining about the much higher dollars being spent on much more outrageous things than poor people being given trifling sums.

I'm sure you're not talking about this kind of shit are you?

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

heights unknown

• HEIGHTS UNKNOWN (DAMMIT)
    • Music and Personal Info Website
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2017, 10:12:25 AM »
I know the story was by Wendy Jenkins, but WHO is the homeless woman that wrote this to Curry? I applaud her; anyone know?
DONATE TODAY TO HELP ALL WHO ARE IN NEED BY CLICKING HERE ON MY MUSIC WEBISTE: http://HTTP://WWW.REVERBNATION.COM/COSTON; ALL PURCHASES ARE DONATIONS TO HELP ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE NEEDY, UNDERPRIVILEGED AND DISADVANTAGED.

heights unknown

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 10:32:22 AM »
As a Social Service Worker and homeless advocate, I am here to tell everyone, you will never truly understand the plight of those that are homeless, needy, underprivileged and disadvantaged unless YOU'VE BEEN THERE. I agree, and believe along with the homeless lady, that those in city/county leadership need to "get out there" sometimes and talk with and get to know those in the homeless sect and population; this will better help them to understand the needs of those in this sect and population. I hope no one, I repeat, NO ONE, ever has to experience homelessness; I have, and believe me, it was not by choice. Sometimes bad things happen to good people, for whatever reason, whether by divine design, or BAD CHOICES. However, that doesn't mean that society as a whole must turn their back on this problem, grimace their lips, wag their heads, and pretend it is not THEIR or OUR problem; it is everyone's problem and WE must address it; we are all on this planet together and whatever happens, whether good or bad, affects each and everyone of us. WE all must learn to quit pointing fingers, wagging heads with grimacing our lips, and pretending the problem doesn't exist or is not our problem, and find SOLUTIONS TO THIS PROBLEM; I hate to say it but THEIR problem is OUR PROBLEM and until we learn to address and provide solutions to the homeless problem, it will always be there staring us in the face. How that's done, sadly, is up to people in leadership positions, whether city, county, state, etc., that don't fully understand or understand at all the plight of the homeless; maybe they should be cast into homelessness for a month or so so that they will understand; however, in the meantime, City, County, State, and Federal Leaders need to provide more resources and solutions to address and eradicate homelessness. Yes there are criminals in that sect; however, there are also Doctors, Lawyers, Businessmen, Families, Mothers, Fathers, even Children that have fallen into homelessness who are not criminals or bad or "reject" type of people; however we must help them all get out of homelessness and back into the viable mainstream of society (if their background, education, etc. allows and dictates it and if they choose or really want to get our of homelessness). Also, shutting down resource centers, and other avenues of help is certainly not the answer Mayor Curry. When you do that you throw them out into the parks, bushes, libraries, abandoned buildings and other areas that they can "hang out" at until the overnight sleep centers open where they can get a "hot and a cot." Open the resource center(s) back up Curry, but ensure it is not a "baby bottle" for them; the resource centers must be designed yes to provide computers for job hunting and liaison for education and links back into the mainstream of society, but also a resource especially for those who were thrust into homelessness for whatever reason but who had never been homeless before in hopes that they can, if they choose, use the day center resource to quickly bounce up, bounce back, and once again be a vital/viable member within the work force and society. There are some very very gifted, talented, and educated people who are homeless, and most have been that way for years. Once you get into that vicious circle Curry it is very hard to get back out. I could keep going and write a book just in this post of ways and means that must be initiated in order to help, assist, and hopefully pull individuals, and families if they choose, out of homelessness. So take note Curry, do your job, quit wagging your head, looking down below your reading glasses, and initiate a plan of action along with milestones to help the homeless out of their situation and back as viable, vital members of our society.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 10:58:43 AM by heights unknown »
DONATE TODAY TO HELP ALL WHO ARE IN NEED BY CLICKING HERE ON MY MUSIC WEBISTE: http://HTTP://WWW.REVERBNATION.COM/COSTON; ALL PURCHASES ARE DONATIONS TO HELP ALL OF THOSE WHO ARE NEEDY, UNDERPRIVILEGED AND DISADVANTAGED.

heights unknown

« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 10:45:35 AM »
One more important item that I left out; in providing those resources, we must initiate, through case management/intake, an assessment model that will, through counseling and other initiatives, find out the "ROOT CAUSE" of WHY THAT PERSON BECAME HOMELESS or in need; root causes, for example can be but not limited to: ILLNESSES, DISABILITIES, DRUG USE/ABUSE, ALCOHOL USE/ABUSE, MENTAL ILLNESS, JOB/EMPLOYMENT LOSS, BEING IN PRISON OR JAIL FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD OF TIME, RECURRING PRISON/JAIL OCCURRENCE (USUSALLY RESULTING IN SOME OF THE AFOREMENTIONED), BEING ELDERLY AND UNABLE TO CARE FOR YOURSELF, and I could go on and on but get the drift? Yes, it will mean spending thousands or millions of dollars to support such initiatives, but if we can get people OFF THE STREETS AND BACK TO WORK, wouldn't it, in the short or long term, pay off to not only those individuals who were homeless, but also our society as a whole?

civil42806

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2017, 03:46:29 PM »
As a Social Service Worker and homeless advocate, I am here to tell everyone, you will never truly understand the plight of those that are homeless, needy, underprivileged and disadvantaged unless YOU'VE BEEN THERE. I agree, and believe along with the homeless lady, that those in city/county leadership need to "get out there" sometimes and talk with and get to know those in the homeless sect and population; this will better help them to understand the needs of those in this sect and population. I hope no one, I repeat, NO ONE, ever has to experience homelessness; I have, and believe me, it was not by choice. Sometimes bad things happen to good people, for whatever reason, whether by divine design, or BAD CHOICES. However, that doesn't mean that society as a whole must turn their back on this problem, grimace their lips, wag their heads, and pretend it is not THEIR or OUR problem; it is everyone's problem and WE must address it; we are all on this planet together and whatever happens, whether good or bad, affects each and everyone of us. WE all must learn to quit pointing fingers, wagging heads with grimacing our lips, and pretending the problem doesn't exist or is not our problem, and find SOLUTIONS TO THIS PROBLEM; I hate to say it but THEIR problem is OUR PROBLEM and until we learn to address and provide solutions to the homeless problem, it will always be there staring us in the face. How that's done, sadly, is up to people in leadership positions, whether city, county, state, etc., that don't fully understand or understand at all the plight of the homeless; maybe they should be cast into homelessness for a month or so so that they will understand; however, in the meantime, City, County, State, and Federal Leaders need to provide more resources and solutions to address and eradicate homelessness. Yes there are criminals in that sect; however, there are also Doctors, Lawyers, Businessmen, Families, Mothers, Fathers, even Children that have fallen into homelessness who are not criminals or bad or "reject" type of people; however we must help them all get out of homelessness and back into the viable mainstream of society (if their background, education, etc. allows and dictates it and if they choose or really want to get our of homelessness). Also, shutting down resource centers, and other avenues of help is certainly not the answer Mayor Curry. When you do that you throw them out into the parks, bushes, libraries, abandoned buildings and other areas that they can "hang out" at until the overnight sleep centers open where they can get a "hot and a cot." Open the resource center(s) back up Curry, but ensure it is not a "baby bottle" for them; the resource centers must be designed yes to provide computers for job hunting and liaison for education and links back into the mainstream of society, but also a resource especially for those who were thrust into homelessness for whatever reason but who had never been homeless before in hopes that they can, if they choose, use the day center resource to quickly bounce up, bounce back, and once again be a vital/viable member within the work force and society. There are some very very gifted, talented, and educated people who are homeless, and most have been that way for years. Once you get into that vicious circle Curry it is very hard to get back out. I could keep going and write a book just in this post of ways and means that must be initiated in order to help, assist, and hopefully pull individuals, and families if they choose, out of homelessness. So take note Curry, do your job, quit wagging your head, looking down below your reading glasses, and initiate a plan of action along with milestones to help the homeless out of their situation and back as viable
, vital members of our society.

paragraphs are your friend