Author Topic: Mayport selected as home base for Navy Triton drone system  (Read 794 times)

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
Mayport selected as home base for Navy Triton drone system
« on: February 16, 2017, 11:39:48 AM »
Naval Station Mayport was selected to base a new squadron of Triton unmanned aerial surveillance drones. Mayport will house eight Triton drones, along with 400 sailors and their families to support the new squadron.

Full article: http://www.bizjournals.com/jacksonville/news/2017/02/16/mayport-selected-as-home-base-for-navy-triton.html
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

remc86007

Re: Mayport selected as home base for Navy Triton drone system
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2017, 11:56:29 AM »
Seems like a great thing, economically, for Jacksonville. I wonder what the average salary is for the new sailors.

spuwho

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 12:26:38 PM »
Seems like a great thing, economically, for Jacksonville. I wonder what the average salary is for the new sailors.

Not sure about the Navy, but USAF has been throwing large bonuses to recruit drone pilots.  Up to 133k depending on long you stay.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2017, 12:48:02 PM »

Not sure about the Navy, but USAF has been throwing large bonuses to recruit drone pilots.  Up to 133k depending on long you stay.

Calling all 14 year old gamers....

acme54321

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 02:08:53 PM »
These UAVs are highly autonomous.  From what I understand they pilots basically monitor takeoff and landing and then they're basically hands off.  The training and actual flight control center is on NAS Jax.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2017, 02:19:39 PM by acme54321 »