Author Topic: Jacksonville group hopes to use lasers and lights to boost St Johns River appeal  (Read 5088 times)

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Baby steps... lets figure out how to change light bulbs on bridges before installing lasers all over the river banks...  ::)

I walk the northbank riverwalk almost every day.  Over the past couple months, someone has been destroying the decorative lights in front of FIS, FNF, Everbank, and Dupont.  Smashing the bulbs, pulling the fixtures out of the ground, graffiti, etc...  I think they were paid for and installed by the private companies, but it was sad to see them slowly become an eyesore.  This past weekend someone removed all of the fixtures and covered the wires protruding from the ground in electrical tape.  The overhead lights from the Haskell to the YMCA are out and have been out for months.  Considering this is one of the most prominent and populated public spaces in the city, it's sad to see it in such a state of disrepair. 

Exactly... Even newly refurbished Friendship Fountain has maintenance items being neglected.  Sorry... but until Jax figures out how to keep up with the basics we can't really expect nice things...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

FlaBoy

What can you do about some dumbass kids who break things for fun?  ???

Captain Zissou

Keep them in school and actually raise them to be decent humans.

Murder_me_Rachel

Keep them in school and actually raise them to be decent humans.

Ehhhh-- I went to a very good local private school and my parents raised me to be more than a decent human being, and I still did lots of stupid, destructive stuff when I was a teenager.  Unfortunately, it kind of comes with the territory.

martt12

Maybe more security or cameras but even then it's still likely going to be events that take place.

KenFSU

When my wife and I were planning our wedding at the now-defunct University Club, which overlooks downtown from the top of the Riverplace Tower, we were trying to figure out how to decorate the tables. The event planner said, "Just keep it simple. Between the Skyline and the St. Johns River, you've already got the best decorations you could ask for. Anything else is just a distraction."

I feel like that same principle applies here.

As anyone driving across the Fuller Warren bridge can attest too, visually, our downtown is pretty damn stunning.

"Acid punk rock" light shows shooting a million lasers across the river or off the bridges and animated trains riding up and down the CSX building only serve to detract from the natural beauty that's already there. Save such gimmicks for cities that need it.

That said, I am intrigued by the idea of using beacons of light at prominent evening locations for wayfinding/placemaking purposes.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

CG7

I second that KenFSU.

JaGoaT

Downtown does need more lighting on the skyline but this would be over doing it

downtownbrown

Baby steps... lets figure out how to change light bulbs on bridges before installing lasers all over the river banks...  ::)

I walk the northbank riverwalk almost every day.  Over the past couple months, someone has been destroying the decorative lights in front of FIS, FNF, Everbank, and Dupont.  Smashing the bulbs, pulling the fixtures out of the ground, graffiti, etc...  I think they were paid for and installed by the private companies, but it was sad to see them slowly become an eyesore.  This past weekend someone removed all of the fixtures and covered the wires protruding from the ground in electrical tape.  The overhead lights from the Haskell to the YMCA are out and have been out for months.  Considering this is one of the most prominent and populated public spaces in the city, it's sad to see it in such a state of disrepair.

I bet if you call Daryl Joseph at Parks and Recreation he will help with this.  He owns the Riverwalk and seems dedicated to making it first class.

Jim

• MetJax
Lasers - no.
Beacons - yes.

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
Why don't they fix the neon strip light over Acosta Bridge, restore lights/neon board on Main Street Bridge before spending money on something like this.

BossmanOdum10

You would think Jacksonville would fix what's broken first before bringing in "new" stuff!

jaxjaguar

I think pretty much everyone here agrees, beacons, fix the Acosta stripe, replace the main Street LEDs. With today's tech it's not that difficult.

KenFSU

Apparently there's $1 million in next year's budget to build the first three nodes that Boyer has been talking about (Friendship Fountain, the Times-Union Center, and the USS Adams site).

Still sounds like they're floating a lot of ideas, but interesting to hear that money has been allocated for this purpose.

http://residentnews.net/2017/11/09/councilwoman-boyer-shares-plans-river-activation/
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

downtownbrown

the real news seems to be that there is $8M available NOW to tear down the old courthouse.  If that happens right when the Hyatt and Liberty Street repairs are being wrapped up, that area would be more than ripe for redevelopment.  And then there's the pending deal on Berkman 2...

Lighting up the Adams, which is right in front of Berkman 2, will stretch the core toward the Khan plan, if that ever happens. 

The good news is that the city is not waiting for a white knight like Khan to make everything happen by magic.  It's organic and strategic. I like it.