Author Topic: JTA prepared to break ground on downtown transit hub  (Read 7918 times)

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
Re: JTA prepared to break ground on downtown transit hub
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2017, 07:31:54 PM »
Yes, I had really rather have seen it built in the style of the Prudential building with the road under it. The purpose would be to centralize the entire heart of the station operations and shorten the concourse length to the rail side. This could be done with or without the missing property considering the land that the city has west of the Prime Osborn. The lots north of Houston Street should be left to future development.

Parasite Carriers are those who refuse to invest in station facilities while skimming passengers from those who do.
JTA/FDOT/COJ seem to have a myopic idea of isolating PAID full service intercity carrier access (Greyhound and Trailways Associates) whilst giving parasite carriers like Megabus, RedCoach and LaCubana a freebie nearer the action. Conceivably the long-distance choice riders that transfer from train to full service bus will have the longest walk.

The flip side of this and one of the reasons Greyhound has balked at several previous try's is that neither Greyhound nor Trailways plays well with the parasite carriers. There is a bunch of space dedicated to grass and fountains extending from the current Skyway Station all the way to Lee Street that would be a better location for the Greyhound.

Where ever you end up placing the actual station, it just shouldn't be a bunch of stations with duplicate facilities. I really wouldn't complain if the main station area M/L where the Skyway Station is today, contained a single large waiting room, side by side ticketing and baggage check in.

Boil it down to:

ONE WAITING ROOM
ONE TICKETING AREA
ONE BAGGAGE AREA
Shared assets, restaurants, gifts, magazines, information etc.
Intercity Rail Concourse
Intercity Bus Concourse
JTA Bus Concourse
Skyway (future automated horizontal elevator's  ;)) Concourse

This is what the Greyhound station and Garage look like moved east of the JRTC. Keep in mind if the majority of services were in the main building the footprint would shrink.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 08:07:14 PM by Ocklawaha »

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2017, 08:50:38 AM »
Yes, while Greyhound is closer, the costs are significantly increased by adding a multi-level garage above the skyway. Remember, they couldn't get $150 million in funding. No way they would have got +$200 million. Now or 20 years from now.

You'd also have some serious traffic circulation issues with buses, BRT, downtown through traffic and parking garage users all mixing together at the base of a downhill I-95 off-ramp. Half your traffic is speeding and the other half is slowing down, trying to figure out what entrance into the various terminals to take off Forsyth. Then, there's still duplication in regards to waiting areas, ticketing, etc. or Greyhound and Amtrak.  Even though Pond showed that block along Lee, between Bay and Forsyth, JTA doesn't own that block either. That's probably why that park (the Greyhound site in your sketch) has been set as a future phase. 

With that said, I believe a centralized green space at the intersection of Bay/Forsyth and Lee/Park  has great placemaking merit when zooming out and looking at the future relationship of interaction of Brooklyn and LaVilla. As projects like Lofts of LaVilla and Brooklyn Riverside continue to come online, Park becomes an important centralized corridor of connectivity between these two neighborhoods, Five Points, Park & King and downtown (via Bay and Forsyth).

« Last Edit: January 29, 2017, 08:52:26 AM by thelakelander »
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2017, 04:49:45 PM »
I just copied and pasted the overlay of the Greyhound Terminal with the garage. I wonder what the final product would look like if that Greyhound station was tucked into and M/L under the Skyway in the east end of the JRTC main buildings and the parking garage could fly where it is as part of a mixed use facility.

exnewsman

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2017, 05:29:04 PM »
I just copied and pasted the overlay of the Greyhound Terminal with the garage. I wonder what the final product would look like if that Greyhound station was tucked into and M/L under the Skyway in the east end of the JRTC main buildings and the parking garage could fly where it is as part of a mixed use facility.

Doesn't really matter at this point. JTA has its plan and is moving forward with it.

Coolyfett

• Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2017, 03:30:38 PM »
YAAAAAAWWN Ill believe it when it is built....Same old Jacksonville.
Mike Hogan Destruction Eruption!

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2017, 06:49:22 PM »
It's under construction now.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Keith-N-Jax

• Around the World
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2017, 09:56:32 PM »
So was Berman II lol, j/k, I believe this will get finished.

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2017, 02:19:30 PM »
So was Berman II lol, j/k, I believe this will get finished.
Don't move the goal post.  Just breaking ground is a big event in Jax.

Besides, BII is an anomaly. Rarely does dirt turnover and the project go incomplete.

exnewsman

« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2017, 01:23:59 PM »
If one assumes that one day commuter trains will also pull into the Convention Center property, maybe they should have put all this on the same block as the convention center (closer to the rail r-o-w and lines) and extended the Skyway tracks into the CC's rear parking lot.  Commuter train users making transfers are going to have a bit of a walk to urban core transit with this plan.  A parking garage and/or other surrounding land could be used to replace the existing CC lot.

Also, is there any provision for taxi/uber/lyft/auto passenger/handicapped drop-off lanes?  Some people making connections to buses, in particular, may want to transfer here.

No longer of a walk than
Much improved but still no cigar from me.

While a quarter mile walk is not long or far, and many new residents will improve the barren moonscape, the canon of unnecessary sprawl and duplication of space remains in this design.

What's the rush?
Why not wait to break ground until the Convention Center plan is also in place?

JTA's first Regional Transportation Center plan made its debut more than a decade before this new design was unveiled. There is still no Convention Center plan in the works. And nothing even on the drawing board. Guess we could sit and wait another 10 years and see if the city has a CC plan ready.

exnewsman

« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2017, 01:25:46 PM »
Work on the site for the new intercity bus terminal (Greyhound/Megabus) well underway. It is now just 56 days until the groundbreaking for the JRTC.