Author Topic: Bike Trails in and Around Jacksonville  (Read 5116 times)

spuwho

Re: Bike Trails in and Around Jacksonville
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2017, 12:24:20 PM »
I dont do backwoods trails anymore, body cant take it. After getting flipped heels over head and about broke my wrist on the landing,  I shifted over to hybrid Diamondback and stick with prepped, groomed or paved trails.

Before I moved here I was doing up to 75 miles a week, with occasional 44 mile Saturdays.

But I lived right next to the trail then so it was easy to jump on, now I have to drive, so I cant say I have done much since.

I have done the Illinois Prarie Path, The Katy Trail, The Illinois and Michigan Canal Trail, Fox River Trail and the Chicago-Lake Michigan bikeway, the Burke-Gilman Urban Trail in Seattle.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2017, 01:02:23 PM »
Thanks acme... just downloaded and installed Strava... was using map my ride...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

TimmyB

• T
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2017, 03:29:03 PM »
I dont do backwoods trails anymore, body cant take it. After getting flipped heels over head and about broke my wrist on the landing,  I shifted over to hybrid Diamondback and stick with prepped, groomed or paved trails.

Before I moved here I was doing up to 75 miles a week, with occasional 44 mile Saturdays.

But I lived right next to the trail then so it was easy to jump on, now I have to drive, so I cant say I have done much since.

I have done the Illinois Prarie Path, The Katy Trail, The Illinois and Michigan Canal Trail, Fox River Trail and the Chicago-Lake Michigan bikeway, the Burke-Gilman Urban Trail in Seattle.

If only we could get Jacksonville to move to be closer to the Silver Comet Trail!  Then, we'd have it made!!!  Absolutely the best.  Fort Wayne and Columbus also have GREAT urban trails, very safe and yet takes you right downtown.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2017, 04:12:08 PM »

Yeah... I flipped today at Tillie Fowler... was going too fast going the wrong way on the wrong trail.  Hit one of the wooden ramps wrong and landed hard on my shoulder.  No bent rim and no broken bones...
TF frustrates me... I find the trails are great but not marked or defined very well.  I  keep finding myself on the wrong trail or either me or the other guy going the wrong way.  Oh well... I hope my shoulder feels better by next week...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2017, 04:16:34 PM »
Heal quickly, BT.

What's going on at TF today other than the weather?  I've got several groups of friends doing things out there today from hiking trails, to the park, and even a few on the trails with you.

I packed my group up and went to the beach.  A little windy, but I couldn't stay inside and work all day.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2017, 06:33:46 PM »
I left just before noon. Looked like a family setting up a birthday party... a few hikers on island loop... a whole bunch of people at the bow shooting range... only a few on the mb trails... nice place and I don't think too many people know about it...

I-10east

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2017, 11:08:54 PM »
Nothing is scarier than being caught in a thunderstorm far out on an offroad bike path, like I was one time on the hardest long course out Hanna. I'm not really a big religious guy, but I was that day, LAWD HELP ME!!! LOL.

acme54321

« Reply #37 on: March 20, 2017, 05:49:24 AM »

Yeah... I flipped today at Tillie Fowler... was going too fast going the wrong way on the wrong trail.  Hit one of the wooden ramps wrong and landed hard on my shoulder.  No bent rim and no broken bones...
TF frustrates me... I find the trails are great but not marked or defined very well.  I  keep finding myself on the wrong trail or either me or the other guy going the wrong way.  Oh well... I hope my shoulder feels better by next week...

The problem with Tillie these days are the multiple illegally cut trails that have popped up.  It was signed well, and the official trails are, but the spiderweb of renegade trails make it hard to navigate.  As far as one way trails, the only one is Hoosker Doo.  The rest are two way.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2017, 07:23:20 AM »
OK... maybe it was at one time but I frequently come to intersections without any guidance as to what trail is what.  The trails themselves are great but like with yesterday I somehow took a wrong turn and hit an obstacle I wasn't expecting and took a tumble.  Totally my ineptitude but I should not have been on that particular trail at the speed I was going...  After my wreck I could not find an exit... the only sign pointing me how to get out was... right next to the exit.  I saw a single mile marker but was unsure if it meant I had traveled a mile or had a mile to go.

Hoosker doo...  https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/4306882/hoosker-doo-tillie-fowler-regional-park

Nipsey Daiser... https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/4306836/nipsy-daiser-tillie-fowler-regional-park

WKC... https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/4306278/wkc-trail-tillie-fowler-regional-park

acme54321

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2017, 07:57:36 AM »
All three of those trails are marked.  It's all of the intersections with the random renegade trails that are unmarked and make it confusing.

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2017, 08:29:16 AM »
No problem!  The trails are great and seem to be well kept... plenty of variety for a rider like me... 8)