Author Topic: Downtown's Doro District Secures Parking  (Read 1610 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Downtown's Doro District Secures Parking
« on: January 11, 2017, 06:25:01 AM »
Downtown's Doro District Secures Parking

Amidst a sea of parking, the owners of downtown's Doro District and the Downtown Investment Authority finally secure a short term parking solution. Project is positioned to transform long-dormant area around sports facilities into a vibrant commercial corridor much like San Diego's Gaslamp Quarter heading into 2017.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2017-jan-downtowns-doro-district-secures-parking-

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
Re: Downtown's Doro District Secures Parking
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2017, 06:40:17 AM »
Parking... as far as the eye can see... yet... no parking.  This is good news...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Captain Zissou

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2017, 08:53:10 AM »
Super excited about that new dock!! Breweries are great, but breweries by boat are WAY better.

pierre

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2017, 09:36:32 AM »
Good to see. Whenever I am in that area, I wonder about that Fairgrounds property across from the baseball field. It seems like a waste.

Downtown Osprey

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2017, 09:45:34 AM »
exciting times ahead for this entire area done with a local flavor. That's how you do it.

Murder_me_Rachel

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2017, 10:17:59 AM »
Could someone explain how this will be a "district" and mot more than Manifest, Intuition, and whatever Doro does? There's literally no other buildings down there, it isn't close enough to downtown so that people would potentially bar hop, etc.

I want to believe, but seems like people are just like, "New shit! yeah! It's totally going to become something that all the facts point to it not being!"

Tacachale

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2017, 10:30:14 AM »
Could someone explain how this will be a "district" and mot more than Manifest, Intuition, and whatever Doro does? There's literally no other buildings down there, it isn't close enough to downtown so that people would potentially bar hop, etc.

I want to believe, but seems like people are just like, "New shit! yeah! It's totally going to become something that all the facts point to it not being!"

The buildings of the Doro "District" take up a full city block, plus the building with Intuition and Manifest which takes up most of a block by itself. I'd consider them more additions to the wider stadium complex.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 10:32:41 AM »

I agree somewhat, but as I'm sure you're completely aware, the people putting the time & money into the area have a pretty successful track record so far, they're all complete homers for the most part and it's gotta start somewhere. 

Intuition is a solid anchor that will generate it's own foot traffic without anything else going on in the area.  Between the 3 stadiums/areana and with an amphitheater coming online, I would guess that the area will have an event most every night, year round.

I can't help but be somewhat optimistic, but I'm trying to not be overly.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

KenFSU

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 10:33:47 AM »
Great news, wonderful project, and I love the emphasis on local business.

Awesome write-up too, Ennis and Mike.

Couple of questions:

1) Any chance that the stretch of East Forsyth between Intuition and the Doro Fixtures complex becomes pedestrian only?

2) What does the pedestrian walkway to the river that you noted entail? A sidewalk? Something fancier? I like the idea in theory, but isn't it cutting directly through Shipyards property that's up for redevelopment?
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 11:15:44 AM »

district
/ˈdɪstrɪkt/
noun
an area of land marked off for administrative or other purposes
(as modifier): district nurse
a locality separated by geographical attributes; region
any subdivision of any territory, region, etc

Essentially, a district is a cluster of complementing activity or attributes. The proposed Doro District, in and of itself, is two square blocks of space for potential clustering of complementing activity.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2017, 01:51:37 PM »

I think its important to note a few things.

a) The owners of the buildings along A Philip Randolph (APR) are not involved in a hype machine. They are very deliberately acquiring buildings and curating a mix of uses and tenants (which you will hear more about in 2017) that are complementary in nature in a compact setting.

b) If some of the articles posted on Modern Cities come off as hype, then I would like to personally apologize for being responsible for any kind of 'spin' inadvertently inherent within these pieces. Instead, the intent is to take a deeper dive into how APR is developing and how private business owners are finding success despite several obstacles. These obstacles include, but are not limited, to having to deal with the perception that APR would never work again (see efforts to 'revitalize' the area dating to the Delaney administration http://www.coj.net/departments/planning-and-development/docs/community-planning-division/plans-and-studies/east-jax-nap.aspx and the Peyton administration http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2008-jul-a-philip-randolph-creating-a-vibrant-corridor), dealing with having no parking despite being surrounded by a sea of parking (the purpose of this article, which quite frankly is relevant to any of the urban core's commercial areas where available, unused parking supply isn't unbundled as part of a comprehensive parking management strategy) and being on the eastern edge of the Northbank without a walkable environment to connect the two areas.

At least to me, its very interesting to follow the challenges, tribulations, etc of an area that is in the early stages of a transformation as they unfold in real time. Its easy to look back, form an opinion and comment on say, King Street, 10 years later... but its another thing to work through issues as they happen and establish a record of theories, mindsets, etc in order to establish context.

c) Because of the interest shown by Iconic and businesses like Intution, BLK SHP and Manifest, there are other buildings and properties in and around Doro that are garnering interest from other parties. The Noland Building still has space for another tenant. The Doro Fixtures Building will be redeveloped. There are other properties in the area that will likely see another 'higher and greater' use in the short term. And in the long term, whatever happens to the Shipyards/Metro Park properties will have a dramatic effect on what this area will look like in 10 years. Personally, having been involved in this line of work for 15 years.. mega developments aren't something you count on. In 3 years, it is VERY likely that the CRE market goes through a completely different cycle that would halt work on a Shipyards-esque megadevelopment. But, I'm certain that the incremental development that is occurring now won't be affected by a slowdown in CRE activity... as it will already have been built up when we enter into the next corrective CRE cycle.

d) Let's assume that the fact that people travel to Intuition outside of events being held at one of the city-owned sports and entertainment facilities is a small 'win'. I for one, don't consider it a 'small win' that people would travel out of their way and deal with the hassles of finding non-existent parking in a sea of blocked off and dormant taxpayer-owned parking just to grab a burger at BLK SHP and a beer at Intuition.. but I regress. Assuming this is a small win, what other small wins could be a result? Success begets success so is there a chance that, like on King Street or like what is happening now along Edgewood, these small wins lead to more small wins? Possibly. By all indications, Daily's Place is going to add at least another 30-40 event days to the already 180 or so event days in the area. None of the existing business in the area have any problem making money on event days. Add another months' worth of event days.. and how many other businesses would be willing to setup shop in the area to capitalize on that foot traffic?

1) Any chance that the stretch of East Forsyth between Intuition and the Doro Fixtures complex becomes pedestrian only?

Not speaking for the developer by any means, but the roadway between the Doro Fixtures building and the Noland building is actually an abandoned Right of Way. You can see from image #36 on this link http://www.moderncities.com/article/2016-jun-george-doro-fixtures-downtowns-next-big-thing/page/3 that this is a 'private road'. I don't think its any secret to publicly talk about the developer's intent to enhance the building facades in such a way that makes this area a pedestrian-centric block, while using this private roadway as a flexible space that can act as a roadway to serve existing tenants but also be completely closed down on a moment's notice in order to host street parties, etc.

2) What does the pedestrian walkway to the river that you noted entail? A sidewalk? Something fancier? I like the idea in theory, but isn't it cutting directly through Shipyards property that's up for redevelopment?

I have not seen any actual engineering plans. So, anything I say on the subject is purely speculation. Given the dollar figure and the needed improvements to Lot X, my guess is that this winds up being a simple paved sidewalk that connects from the floating dock to APR. A good example would be the sidewalk that leads to Bay Street from the Metro Park marina's water taxi stop (unfortunately, I do not have a picture of that on my phone.. but you should be able to Google Earth the area to get a visual reference).

I would have to suspect that DIA has a pretty good idea of what Khan's new RFP response is going to look like and any designs of said pedestrian pathway will be done in a way that would be easily integrated into whatever happens with that particular parcel (which if Metro Park gets redeveloped, would likely be some sort of public parkland).

Again, speculation only. When the engineering plans become available, I'll certainly post an image.

KenFSU

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2017, 02:12:03 PM »
^Thanks for the insight Mike!

For what it's worth, I really enjoy the tone of Modern Cities. I think the local community has just gotten so accustomed to cynicism that any positive story, especially those centered on urban redevelopment, is automatically viewed as pie-in-the-sky hype.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

Murder_me_Rachel

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2017, 03:11:20 PM »

I agree somewhat, but as I'm sure you're completely aware, the people putting the time & money into the area have a pretty successful track record so far, they're all complete homers for the most part and it's gotta start somewhere. 

Intuition is a solid anchor that will generate it's own foot traffic without anything else going on in the area.  Between the 3 stadiums/areana and with an amphitheater coming online, I would guess that the area will have an event most every night, year round.

I can't help but be somewhat optimistic, but I'm trying to not be overly.

I guess when i her "district" I am thinking bigger than what's there and maybe that's my own cognitive failure.  I am just thinking of people somehow think A Phillip Randolph, moving North, is going to become King Street of downtown, that seems not very likely to me.  I love Jon and the Manifest dudes, all of whom I have known for a very long time, and Paul at Doro, so I'd love to see them succeed and my comment wasn't a dig at them, just what i see now didnt fit my idea of a district, that's all.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 03:26:29 PM »
Yeah, I'd say anything developing on APR, north of the Matthews Bridge expressway would be the Eastside. That strip of APR (formerly Florida Avenue) was once a pretty vibrant district of it's own that was known as The Avenue.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

RattlerGator

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2017, 04:57:36 PM »
This is going to be so incredibly good. It will be so interesting to see this area develop over the next few years.

To me, A. Phillip Randolph Boulevard -- from the expressway down to the river -- should be double-named. On the street signs along that stretch, also include Florida Avenue. That's what it historically was and that should be acknowledged. It has always been odd to me during the Florida-Georgia game to see "Georgia Street" down next to the stadium but no "Florida Avenue."