Author Topic: The Official Complete Renew Arlington Master Plan  (Read 6277 times)

vicupstate

Re: The Official Complete Renew Arlington Master Plan
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2017, 04:35:31 PM »
It always pays to buy in an area that is already turning for the better. If it is still in decline, the time it takes to hit bottom THEN start to reverse course can be quite long. If other residents and investors haven't already started the process and had a modicum of success, you are taking a big chance on something that may not happen at all, or not in time for you to benefit.         
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

aldermanparklover

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2017, 01:38:18 AM »
It always pays to buy in an area that is already turning for the better. If it is still in decline, the time it takes to hit bottom THEN start to reverse course can be quite long. If other residents and investors haven't already started the process and had a modicum of success, you are taking a big chance on something that may not happen at all, or not in time for you to benefit.         

I think the fate of Arlington is inextricably linked to the success of downtown, as it were in the 50's - 70's. If the working middle class can get a leg up downtown, then Arlington is the perfect accommodation for them. But none of that will happen until the homeless population that loiters downtown is dealt with ...

Tacachale

« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2017, 08:32:24 AM »
We are out of staters that just bought in Alderman Park back in Sept ... All I know is that for what Arlington offers compared to other areas, we sure pay a lot in property taxes!!! If we weren't so close to downtown, we never would have moved to this area due to the taxes.

You must have come from somewhere cheap, then.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Starbuck

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2017, 10:07:17 AM »
What has been missing from this conversation is that funding is provided to implement the plan.

The commercial area is a designated Community Redevelopment Area (CRA). 2016 was set as the base year, any increases in tax revenue (above the base year) must, by law, be returned to the designated CRA area for reinvestment of infrastructure and other improvements that are listed in the plan. The plan focuses on commercial property primarily due to the funding issue, and also because it is most the visually important. Upgrades to surrounding residential properties will be addressed through other neighborhood improvement mechanisms. The incremental increase of available funding over time spent through incentives (and through law and code enforcement) are critical features that will bring the plan to fruition (this is where most urban redevelopment plans falter). That hurdle has already been cleared for the planning area.

The Arlington Expressway is a FDOT facility and there is already a redevelopment plan that calls for upgrading, widening, mass transit, pedestrian and bicycle facilities combined with TOD and resolving access deficiencies, probably within the next 30 years. The big hurdle is how to cross the river. Matthews Bridge is due for changes, replacement or perhaps a parallel structure- each operating one-way with dedicated bus, bike and bike lanes. Though not explicitly stated, the Arlington plan coordinates with the already proposed Expressway upgrades.

With the rest of the western world living in an average house size of 600-800 square feet, the existing inventory of durably constructed 1200 square feet homes on lawn-and-garden-sized lots should be adaptable for a certain lifestyle. (IKEA is coming to town.) 

:-)

vicupstate

« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2017, 10:47:26 AM »
The incremental increase of available funding over time spent through incentives (and through law and code enforcement) are critical features that will bring the plan to fruition (this is where most urban redevelopment plans falter). That hurdle has already been cleared for the planning area.

I hope this won't be Kim-Scott-Style-If-it-needs-paint-tear-it-down' enforcement.  With her retiring, I may not, but the principle is the same regardless.

The fate of DT and Arlington being tied together is certainly a valid point.  I don't think Arlington will recover until DT shows more progress.     
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

aldermanparklover

« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2017, 11:57:28 AM »
We are out of staters that just bought in Alderman Park back in Sept ... All I know is that for what Arlington offers compared to other areas, we sure pay a lot in property taxes!!! If we weren't so close to downtown, we never would have moved to this area due to the taxes.

Technically yes but I wasn't making a comparison with where we came from vs here; We just got a taste of lower tax rates in other areas of Jax while he were home shopping. We had been in the market since last Jan and under contract a few times since April.

But the larger point I failed to make is Arlington (the area) offers little payback for the amount of tax we pay relative to other parts of the city. I feel like the tax rate was set during Arlington's boom years then never changed downward after the decline.

jaxcpa

« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2017, 12:49:10 PM »

Technically yes but I wasn't making a comparison with where we came from vs here; We just got a taste of lower tax rates in other areas of Jax while he were home shopping. We had been in the market since last Jan and under contract a few times since April.

But the larger point I failed to make is Arlington (the area) offers little payback for the amount of tax we pay relative to other parts of the city. I feel like the tax rate was set during Arlington's boom years then never changed downward after the decline.

Huh?
The property tax rate is the same for all of the City of Jacksonville. Beaches are a separate animal.

My husband and I purchased our home in Arlington a year and a half ago, and consider our property taxes to be ridiculously low. But this is more a factor of the assessed value, not tax rate. For what we pay in taxes, I think we are getting an enormous value. We have four fire stations within four miles of our home, six city parks within five miles including tennis courts and a nature center, a public library within 3 miles, multiple public water access points, and are minutes from the city owned venues downtown. So in terms of "payback" for property taxes, I don't feel slighted at all.

Tacachale

« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2017, 01:15:53 PM »

Huh?
The property tax rate is the same for all of the City of Jacksonville. Beaches are a separate animal.

My husband and I purchased our home in Arlington a year and a half ago, and consider our property taxes to be ridiculously low. But this is more a factor of the assessed value, not tax rate. For what we pay in taxes, I think we are getting an enormous value. We have four fire stations within four miles of our home, six city parks within five miles including tennis courts and a nature center, a public library within 3 miles, multiple public water access points, and are minutes from the city owned venues downtown. So in terms of "payback" for property taxes, I don't feel slighted at all.

Yeah, the tax rates are the same everywhere in Jacksonville. You're certainly not paying more in Arlington than anyone elsewhere in Duval County. The other counties are technically lower but there are a lot few services, amenities, places to work, etc. And in St. Johns they make up for it with substantial impact fees on new developments, which the developers pass on to the buyers.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

vicupstate

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2017, 01:30:56 PM »
The assessed value is the key. If it is abnormally high compared to other houses in the neighborhood, you could have a basis to appeal the value and have it lowered.

dos0711

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2017, 12:24:05 PM »
The link to the story is no longer valid... :o