Author Topic: Department of the Exteriors: Murray Hill  (Read 2671 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
Department of the Exteriors: Murray Hill
« on: December 08, 2016, 12:45:01 PM »
Department of the Exteriors: Murray Hill

As a result of the tremendous civic energy being expended by Jacksonville's Arts community, almost every neighborhood in the old City Perimeter is being visually transformed. Murals, mosaics, sculpture, designed parks and street furniture have all been thoughtfully and lovingly installed over the past decade (with more coming). While a lot of attention has been given to the giant Art Republic mural projects downtown, the historic neighborhoods are also beginning to create individual vibes from the public art and beautification projects within their borders. Today we are going to take a look at the elements that are making Murray Hill such a great shabby-chic artisan styled neighborhood.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2016-dec-department-of-the-exteriors-murray-hill

TPC

Re: Department of the Exteriors: Murray Hill
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2016, 04:16:11 PM »
Where is the first mural, and who painted it?

regnide

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2016, 04:40:38 PM »

There is also this one behind Magnolias in Murray Hill.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 04:45:00 PM by regnide »

regnide

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2016, 04:50:24 PM »
Where is the first mural, and who painted it?

The GROW mural is on Tradewinds at Post and Edgewood. Jason Tetlek and MHPA worked hard on getting all that art work up, I am not aware of who painted that one, though.

regnide

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2016, 05:10:12 PM »
Wow. thats great man.

Any idea when it was done?

I took the above photos about five weeks ago.

Paint on it is still fresh, I think it was only finished a week ago. It was done by Tommy Gunz who apparently hates seeing a blank wall. Actually, he and all the local artists from the Murray Hill Arts Center that currently have their paintings up in the Magnolia's dining room will be there tonight for an artist meet and greet.

Jtetlak

• Jason Tetlak for City Council District 14
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 11:20:56 AM »
Mural Hill Preservation has installed four murals ("Grow" was the third) and we have NYC artist Jerkface in town this week painting our fifth! Plus local artist Nico will be doing number six starting the first week in March.
It's time to move past being a city with potential, and become a city living up to it's potential.

Jtetlak

It's time to move past being a city with potential, and become a city living up to it's potential.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2017, 07:59:22 PM »
What about HOME?
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

JeffreyS

• Demand Evidence and Think Critically.
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2017, 08:33:03 PM »
"YOU are the people willing to overlook the fact that Trump is an unqualified, ignorant sociopath because DURRRR HILLARY IS BAD TOO DURRRR." Drew Margary

johnnyliar

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2017, 09:14:23 AM »
Mural Hill Preservation has installed four murals ("Grow" was the third) and we have NYC artist Jerkface in town this week painting our fifth! Plus local artist Nico will be doing number six starting the first week in March.

Big fan of Jerkface's work and Nico is by far my favorite local muralist!
Thanks so much for all the hard work you've put into this project Jason!
Any idea about what's happening with the brick and stone Murray Hill signs on edgewood in the first block? They're always dug out of the ground - I assume hit by cars? Seems like we need another solution for those things.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2017, 10:16:40 PM »
I can't believe I haven't seen this one going up... 

A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

benfranklinbof

• Murray Hill Billy
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 09:52:30 AM »

Big fan of Jerkface's work and Nico is by far my favorite local muralist!
Thanks so much for all the hard work you've put into this project Jason!
Any idea about what's happening with the brick and stone Murray Hill signs on edgewood in the first block? They're always dug out of the ground - I assume hit by cars? Seems like we need another solution for those things.

They look like grave stones, and the landscaping surrounding them isn't the best either.
Definitely need something new. The pineapple statue by the college is nice.
Murray Hill Billy

Jtetlak

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 10:53:24 AM »
Anyone interested in an autographed spray can from the Jerkface wall can get them here: http://www.murrayhilljax.com/get-involved/mural-project/

Jtetlak

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2017, 10:55:38 AM »
The HOME mural was painted by Sheperd Agency employees.

I'm actually in the process of trying to get the tombstones removed and replaced with some sculptures, it takes money however, so if anyone has some funding they'd like to give us that would expedite things!

benfranklinbof

• Murray Hill Billy
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2017, 12:54:25 PM »
I'm ready to donate :)
Murray Hill Billy