Author Topic: The metamorphosis of Avondale's St. Johns Village  (Read 2595 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
The metamorphosis of Avondale's St. Johns Village
« on: September 29, 2016, 05:45:02 AM »
The metamorphosis of Avondale's St. Johns Village

The redevelopment of Avondale's Commander Apartments and St. Johns Village shopping center appears to be finally moving forward after a decade of starts and stops. Here's a brief summary the project's eleven year metamorphosis and a collection of the latest renderings.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2016-sep-the-metamorphosis-of-avondales-st-johns-village

Ivegotasecret

Re: The metamorphosis of Avondale's St. Johns Village
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 10:07:28 PM »
Renderings. Wow!!! Let's get all excited. Wonder if they'll turn out as close to the renderings as the stadium amphitheater did.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 11:05:07 AM »
Demolition underway at former St. Johns Village retail center in Avondale
Full article: http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=549360
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

grimss

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 01:55:44 PM »
Heard a rumor that the developers have run into funding issues. Activity on the site has certainly ground to a halt now that the demo is done. Does anyone have additional insight?

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 03:22:32 PM »
Heard a rumor that the developers have run into funding issues. Activity on the site has certainly ground to a halt now that the demo is done. Does anyone have additional insight?

If this is true, then FML:(

We've got to fix how development is done in this manner - demolition should not take place until funding is secured for the replacement. Other cities have to have solved this.

Cheshire Cat

• Diane Melendez is Cheshire Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 03:28:52 PM »

If this is true, then FML:(

We've got to fix how development is done in this manner - demolition should not take place until funding is secured for the replacement. Other cities have to have solved this.
Oh gosh I hope this is not true.  You are right about how projects like this are handled Steve.  I will be watching for any confirmation that there is a problem with funding.  sigh
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

JaxAvondale

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 03:58:20 PM »
The one thing that I never understood about this project was why just strictly residential.

DrQue

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 06:34:02 PM »
Another derelict, half complete apartment tower on the water? Sign me up!

Yumbomb

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 07:57:19 PM »
The one thing that I never understood about this project was why just strictly residential.

+1

Murder_me_Rachel

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 07:45:48 AM »
Holy shit if they demoed that whole space and now are running into trouble such that they can't complete it I am going to be sooooooo fucking pissed.  Which, i am sure will leave the developer quaking in his boots and all... :-\

JaxAvondale

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 07:13:25 PM »
Let's hope that space doesn't stay empty like the proposed skin facility project on Park Street that has been sold & demoed for over a year.