Author Topic: The metamorphosis of Avondale's St. Johns Village  (Read 7840 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
The metamorphosis of Avondale's St. Johns Village
« on: September 29, 2016, 05:45:02 AM »
The metamorphosis of Avondale's St. Johns Village

The redevelopment of Avondale's Commander Apartments and St. Johns Village shopping center appears to be finally moving forward after a decade of starts and stops. Here's a brief summary the project's eleven year metamorphosis and a collection of the latest renderings.

Read More: http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2016-sep-the-metamorphosis-of-avondales-st-johns-village

Ivegotasecret

Re: The metamorphosis of Avondale's St. Johns Village
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 10:07:28 PM »
Renderings. Wow!!! Let's get all excited. Wonder if they'll turn out as close to the renderings as the stadium amphitheater did.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2017, 11:05:07 AM »
Demolition underway at former St. Johns Village retail center in Avondale
Full article: http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/showstory.php?Story_id=549360
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

grimss

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 01:55:44 PM »
Heard a rumor that the developers have run into funding issues. Activity on the site has certainly ground to a halt now that the demo is done. Does anyone have additional insight?

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 03:22:32 PM »
Heard a rumor that the developers have run into funding issues. Activity on the site has certainly ground to a halt now that the demo is done. Does anyone have additional insight?

If this is true, then FML:(

We've got to fix how development is done in this manner - demolition should not take place until funding is secured for the replacement. Other cities have to have solved this.

Cheshire Cat

• Diane Melendez is Cheshire Cat
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2017, 03:28:52 PM »

If this is true, then FML:(

We've got to fix how development is done in this manner - demolition should not take place until funding is secured for the replacement. Other cities have to have solved this.
Oh gosh I hope this is not true.  You are right about how projects like this are handled Steve.  I will be watching for any confirmation that there is a problem with funding.  sigh
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

JaxAvondale

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2017, 03:58:20 PM »
The one thing that I never understood about this project was why just strictly residential.

DrQue

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2017, 06:34:02 PM »
Another derelict, half complete apartment tower on the water? Sign me up!

Yumbomb

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2017, 07:57:19 PM »
The one thing that I never understood about this project was why just strictly residential.

+1

Murder_me_Rachel

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2017, 07:45:48 AM »
Holy shit if they demoed that whole space and now are running into trouble such that they can't complete it I am going to be sooooooo fucking pissed.  Which, i am sure will leave the developer quaking in his boots and all... :-\

JaxAvondale

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2017, 07:13:25 PM »
Let's hope that space doesn't stay empty like the proposed skin facility project on Park Street that has been sold & demoed for over a year.

grimss

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2017, 10:24:07 AM »
During the RAP home tour this past weekend, I ran into someone who had talked to one of the subcontractors on the job. According to the sub, Chase Partners "ran out of money" and all activity on the site has been halted for a minimum of six months.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2017, 10:31:02 AM »
Well that sucks.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

JaxAvondale

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2017, 01:16:51 PM »
Well, I hate that this is going to be an eye sore for the foreseeable future. Hopefully, some group can swoop in and put together a better project.

jaxjaguar

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2017, 02:29:51 PM »
Woooow... So typical. At least this eyesore isn't immediately visible downtown. Different building, but does anyone know what the company that bought Berkman 2 is doing? I thought they were on the verge of redevelopment last year.