Author Topic: Corrine Brown under investigation for Ethics Violations  (Read 20849 times)

Cheshire Cat

• Diane Melendez is Cheshire Cat
Re: Corrine Brown under investigation for Ethics Violations
« Reply #90 on: May 11, 2017, 02:53:14 PM »
Nothing on national news outlets...
It will be soon enough.  Another black eye on the surface for Jacksonville redeemed by the reality that today's verdict which was unanimous has exposed Brown to be a thief and a liar.  She is guilty of so much more which her flamboyance hid for years.  The truth has now been exposed.
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

spuwho

« Reply #91 on: May 11, 2017, 03:02:00 PM »
National press is infatuated with Trump right now.

It will make a byline when the story reaches the wire services.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #93 on: May 11, 2017, 03:20:55 PM »
It's on the front page of Fox News...

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/11/ex-rep-corrine-brown-guilty-on-fraud-tax-evasion-charges.html
And this was picked up from the associated press.  Her conviction on these charged is not world wide news.
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #94 on: May 11, 2017, 03:30:09 PM »
Why am I not surprised that Fox News is interested in the story of a democratic rep being convicted?

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #95 on: May 11, 2017, 03:35:57 PM »
Why am I not surprised that Fox News is interested in the story of a democratic rep being convicted?

Rofl... same reason there is nothing about it on CNN or Huffpo yet...lol...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

I-10east

« Reply #96 on: May 11, 2017, 04:15:18 PM »
Fox & Friends covered Corrine's situation (not up to date though).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7lp8ixxpRg

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #97 on: May 11, 2017, 04:42:19 PM »
The FBI Jacksonville Division released a statement about the verdict:

"Former Congresswoman Brown took an oath year after year to serve others, but instead she exploited the needs of children and deceived her constituents to advance her own personal and political agendas. Corrupt public officials undermine the integrity of our government and violate the public's trust, and that is why investigating public corruption remains the FBI's top criminal priority.  I am proud of our special agents, analysts and support personnel who spent countless hours following the money trail in this case, and thank our law enforcement partners at the IRS-CI and U.S. Attorney's Office for their efforts to hold Brown and her associates accountable for their inexcusable actions."
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #98 on: May 11, 2017, 04:56:59 PM »
I did some more research into the possible sentence Corrine could face.  The main charged she was found guilty of was:

923. 18 U.S.C. § 371—Conspiracy to Defraud the United States

As it stands I can find no minimum sentence requirement, just a maximum.  The parameter of sentencing appears to be, Sentencing and Punishment for Federal Conspiracy Charges.  Legal experts are saying that considering the gravity of the charges and the number she was convicted on she will likely get 5 years.  However, I can find no minimum sentencing requirement save for one where she is given some sort of supervised penalty which if violated would require a minimum of two years in jail. 
punishment for federal conspiracy laws
If you are convicted of federal conspiracy under 18 USC 371, you face up to 5 years in federal prison.
If you are convicted of violating 18 U.S. Code 371, you face a sentence of up to 5 years in federal prison and fines up to $250,000.8 In the case of conspiracy by organizations, you face a fine of up to $500,000.90

However, Corrine just delivered a statement that claims she is innocent so we can all anticipate years of litigation ahead. 
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

edjax

« Reply #99 on: May 11, 2017, 05:02:30 PM »
I am sure Miss Corrine will have some "health" issues arise quite shortly now.

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #100 on: May 11, 2017, 05:09:02 PM »
So kids, I am going to go ahead and make a prediction about where this is all headed.

Corrine will be sentenced on all of the counts she was found guilty of in 90 days.  Even is she is sentenced to hard time which for the first count is up to 5 years in prison, or prison time for any of the other crimes, she will be released on some sort of supervised provision that will allow her to remain out of prison until all the appeals are settled.  The reasoning will be based upon her age which is 70 and the position that she is neither a flight risk (she has no passport) or a risk to society.  She may never see any jail time if the process takes long enough and you can bet her attorneys will file any and all appeals allowed under the law. 
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2017, 05:13:01 PM »
I am sure Miss Corrine will have some "health" issues arise quite shortly now.
Count on it. 
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #102 on: August 16, 2017, 09:00:59 PM »
Corrine Brown's request for a new trial has been denied.  She will be sentenced in November of this year.

For full story click link:

https://www.news4jax.com/news/local/jacksonville/judge-denies-corrine-browns-motions-for-acquittal-or-new-trial
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!