Author Topic: Beach Boulevard Landscaping  (Read 3794 times)

blizz01

Re: Beach Boulevard Landscaping
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2017, 08:47:58 AM »
Has anyone seen the overkill that is Hwy17/Park Avenue/Kingsley in Orange Park?  It's a smattering of sabal palms and small oaks - with random Canary Island dates peppered in for good measure.  They're not done, but they've started installing the uplighting in the medians - In all seriousness, the lights are Huge - like as big as what you might see at the base of a national monument huge.  It's like they have so much money set aside from the red light cameras that they can't spend it quick enough.....the perimeter around the retention pond by the dog track looks like a tree farm.

vicupstate

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2017, 11:55:50 AM »
I never understood the critique of it supposedly making the feel too "South Florida" -- I mean, are you kidding? That look is unique to South Florida? In what universe?

North Florida is different from South Florida and it should embrace that difference instead of trying to copycat SF.  In many instances oak and other shade trees would provide much needed shade and be more reflective of the local natural environment.     
"The problem with quotes on the internet is you can never be certain they're authentic." - Abraham Lincoln

remc86007

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2017, 02:56:52 PM »
^ While I agree generally that we shouldn't try to mimic South Florida, I don't think that there is anything wrong with having palm trees at or near the beach. Post cards from Pablo Beach from over a century ago show palm trees being everywhere there. Also, I don't think Oaks are appropriate for medians because they obscure too much line of sight, would eventually overhang the road and drop limbs on motorists, and (at least on Beach Blvd.) there isn't any need to shade the median or asphalt.

blizz01

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2017, 03:13:00 PM »
Agreed. Palms are common at virtually any beach all the way up to NC.