Author Topic: Duval County Map 1898  (Read 9149 times)

Tacachale

Re: Duval County Map 1898
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2016, 03:38:58 PM »
http://www.westlinnhistory.org/West_Linn_Historical_Society/History/Entries/2015/5/6_Crossing_the_River_-_Before_There_Were_Bridges.html

obviously, Bridge Troll. 

The Bartram Journals specifically called it the Cow Ford Ferry line.  The river was still shallow enough that the current wasn't too strong to make the straightest line possible, and it took an experienced person with that part of the river to cross it.

Surely no one thought that the cows were being walked across.?

Well, it's what "ford" means.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

David

« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2017, 11:04:56 PM »
Regarding the map: I like the ad for "Fire Insurance" at the bottom. The great fire of 1901 was an inside job!

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2017, 05:29:30 AM »
Regarding the map: I like the ad for "Fire Insurance" at the bottom. The great fire of 1901 was an inside job!

The ads are awesome...
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

spuwho

« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2017, 07:54:32 AM »
From some of history books I have read, the St Johns current was not very swift until they dredged the river after the Civil War.

The southbank was somewhat swampy and it gradually entered the river with the main original channel closer to the northbank.

In fact the first dredging increased the current so much it caused erosion on St Johns Bluff and parts of it fell in until they installed some rip rap to stop it.

Many think this is when the earthen remains of Ft Caroline were washed away.

So its possible at the time cattle could wade through the shallow parts of the southbank and then swim the narrow channel. With the currents so slow at the time, there was little threat to losing them.

When I lived in Chicago I read that they used to bring cattle over Wolf Point on the Chicago River. If you saw Wolf Point today you would say its not possible. But the currents back then were very slow and the banks very gradual. All the modifications by man have changed it so much its hard to tell just how rural it used to be.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2017, 08:25:14 AM »
What's the deal with Cecilville? It's up near Hidden Hills, yet there's no way it's Hidden Hills. Is it an area that was platted out but never developed? I grew up near there and don't think there are any streets laid out in a grid pattern.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

camarocane

« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2017, 08:53:39 AM »
Apparently Chamblin's is on the site of an old boarding school. "The Froebel Academy"

lastdaysoffla

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2017, 01:56:01 PM »
I read in my research about a hand drawn map of the Mandarin area by Harriet Beecher Stowe. I think it was included in her book Palmetto Leaves. I have yet to pick up the book or find a picture of said map online. Anybody got a lead?

acme54321

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2017, 09:05:50 PM »
What's the deal with Cecilville? It's up near Hidden Hills, yet there's no way it's Hidden Hills. Is it an area that was platted out but never developed? I grew up near there and don't think there are any streets laid out in a grid pattern.

Yeah there are a number of areas on the map like that.  Check out Bayard.