Author Topic: New Downtown Living: Broadstone River House Apartments  (Read 24004 times)

tufsu1

Re: New Downtown Living: Broadstone River House Apartments
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2017, 10:56:27 PM »
With the development of new structures in the urban core of Jacksonville, is the city giving much thought to how things appear at the street-level?  Like do the layouts of these developments make sense for a pedestrian?  When walking along the sidewalks of downtown Jacksonville, will pedestrians feel engaged?  Will there be a sensible and intuitive way to walk from one land use to another, to take in structures and get the most out of the streetscape?  Or will things feel disjointed, disoriented, and isolated with perhaps solid walls lining sidewalks or vast lawns distancing you from the built environment?

The DDRB evaluates just these issues when voting projects up or down.  There are often trade-offs, and sometimes too much compromise, but they do consider the street-level pedestrian feel.

I wouldn't say there's "sometimes" too much compromise. We need more folks like you on that board.

My term ended in June and was not renewed....interpret as you will

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2017, 11:35:42 PM »
^:o So we are screwed?? I did not know Gate had that much power...

acme54321

« Reply #77 on: February 08, 2017, 06:28:07 AM »
With the development of new structures in the urban core of Jacksonville, is the city giving much thought to how things appear at the street-level?  Like do the layouts of these developments make sense for a pedestrian?  When walking along the sidewalks of downtown Jacksonville, will pedestrians feel engaged?  Will there be a sensible and intuitive way to walk from one land use to another, to take in structures and get the most out of the streetscape?  Or will things feel disjointed, disoriented, and isolated with perhaps solid walls lining sidewalks or vast lawns distancing you from the built environment?

The DDRB evaluates just these issues when voting projects up or down.  There are often trade-offs, and sometimes too much compromise, but they do consider the street-level pedestrian feel.

I wouldn't say there's "sometimes" too much compromise. We need more folks like you on that board.

My term ended in June and was not renewed....interpret as you will

Who appoints the members?

tufsu1

« Reply #78 on: February 08, 2017, 11:27:15 PM »
^ the Mayor

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

gedo3

« Reply #80 on: April 03, 2017, 07:05:46 AM »
Thanks for adding the link to the information!  If one misses the original article sometimes, it takes a bit of hunting.  This was a big help!

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #81 on: October 18, 2017, 09:29:46 AM »
There have been comments in other threads that work has stalled or stopped so just for an update:

I have been by a few times on the South Bank the last 2 weeks and framing has started on the building fronting the River. Yesterday, there wasn't a ton of workers but there was definitely decent activity. I never go by the site from Prudential so have no clue if any work is being done on that building.

As for pace of this project all I will say is that in my household it is referred to as Glacier House. Probably unfair since the two hurricanes must have been an issue. I just remember the elevator shaft/stairwells taking forever (with very few workers) with nothing else happening.

acme54321

« Reply #82 on: October 18, 2017, 09:42:45 AM »
Yeah the pace seems to be picking up a bit.  They are framing on the front of the building as well.