Author Topic: Most desirable markets for sports expansion  (Read 9899 times)

I-10east

Re: Most desirable markets for sports expansion
« Reply #30 on: April 05, 2017, 01:22:28 AM »
IMO Carolina and to a lesser extent Arizona should not have NHL teams. When the home fan base are averaging in the 80 percentile in attendance, it could be understandable if the team isn't good, but it should be the bare minimal. Arizona has averaged 76 percent, and Carolina 63 percent in 2016 respectfully; very paltry, esp CAR.

As much as the Atlanta gets killed for not supporting the Thrashers, ARI's three year low of steadily declining attendance is right there with ATL in the 70 percentile (but averaging higher overall). Carolina is averaging MUCH LOWER than ATL did! CAR's three year slump is, (2014) 67 percent, (2015) 65 percent, and (2016) 63 percent (lowest in major arena sports). The Thrashers NEVER had an home percentage lower than 72 percent, and they are defunct.

If I was Gary Bettman the commish (who is incompetent IMO) I would show just a lil patience with ARI, but NONE with CAR. IMO Hamilton, Quebec City, and Seattle would be ideal potential relocation sites. Imagine if the Coyotes relocated to Mexico LOL.

http://www.espn.com/nhl/attendance
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 01:27:11 AM by I-10east »

johnnyliar

« Reply #31 on: April 05, 2017, 07:39:40 AM »
Carolina's team needs to move back to Hartford! They've got a rabid fanbase waiting for them there.

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2017, 07:46:38 AM »
Carolina's team needs to move back to Hartford! They've got a rabid fanbase waiting for them there.

I moved to Hartford (well...Manchester) back in 1998. I was very unhappy to see I had just missed the Whalers. Emotions were still pretty raw when I arrived in June.
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2017, 10:16:31 AM »
A market for a potential professional non-football team that gets overlooked IMO is Richmond. True it's a bit small and the support for a new arena is questionable but unlike their metro neighbors Hampton Roads they have a better economy, faster growth rate, less transient population, and a new arena would blow the Hampton Coliseum and The SCOPE out of the water (plus I'm sure some of these big ticket acts that keep playing their amphitheater would love to perform in a state of the art indoor venue for a change). Also they don't have the same loyalty to college sports as most places in the South and the protective regionalism that's more entrenched in places like Tennessee, North Carolina, and Florida is not as much a factor (except for the DC suburbs which they can exploit to drum up support with a natural rival).

But what really sets Richmond apart beside being the capital of a state that could easily rally statewide support for a franchise a la the state of Oklahoma is the corporate wealth in the region (same for Hartford and Kansas City to a lesser extent). A lot of pro franchises are propped up by the corporate community stepping up and buying season tickets for business purposes, and they can also fall back on the fact that there are two sizable media markets they can draw support from. That combination of big-pocketed businesses and exclusivity along with a first-class venue is why the NHL franchises in Raleigh and San Jose has worked all these years and Atlanta's left (how Phoenix keeps its hockey team or St. Pete its baseball team remains a mystery).   

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2017, 10:25:57 AM »
Let's not forget about London  :P

sanmarcomatt

« Reply #35 on: April 05, 2017, 10:36:49 AM »

I moved to Hartford (well...Manchester) back in 1998. I was very unhappy to see I had just missed the Whalers. Emotions were still pretty raw when I arrived in June.

Ahh...now you are heading down my memory lane. We lived in Manchester(worked in Hartford)in 98 and were previously  part of  a group that had Whaler  season tickets. Yeah, we were pretty bitter about the Whale moving.

JaxJersey-licious

« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2017, 10:46:01 AM »
Let's not forget about London  :P

Yeah  :P indeed...stop being so daft!

Adam White

• Facebook
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2017, 10:59:36 AM »

Ahh...now you are heading down my memory lane. We lived in Manchester(worked in Hartford)in 98 and were previously  part of  a group that had Whaler  season tickets. Yeah, we were pretty bitter about the Whale moving.

Crazy. I was a Field Consultant for 7-Eleven. Our offices were in South Windsor and I was responsible for 8 CT stores - scattered around the state. We lived in the Velvet Mills apartments - the converted factory near Main Street.

Tacachale

« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2017, 11:21:14 AM »
The NHL's problem has always been that they want to operate like the other 3 leagues with operations across the U.S. and Canada, but hockey is still a niche sport outside of "hockey country". We didn't even consistently have consistent minor league hockey in the Sun Belt until the 90s, the same time the NHL started moving teams here at a furious pace. There have been a few success stories like Tampa Bay and Nashville but even more flops like the Arizona Coyotes, Florida Panthers, the erstwhile Atlanta Thrashers, and of course the Hurricanes. It's telling that Tampa Bay and LA are the only 2 teams from outside traditional hockey country in the top half of the NHL attendance bracket (and some others like Boston and the New York Rangers would be higher ranked if they didn't play in comparatively smaller venues). Atlanta has at this point lost 2 different NHL teams to small Canadian cities. And yet, the NHL's next expansion is Las Vegas.

If things don't change, the Hurricanes will probably not be in Raleigh forever. It doesn't help that they've been terrible, but the owner has been trying to sell for several years and apparently can't find anyone who'll keep the team in the area. Meanwhile both Hamilton, ON and Quebec City have been angling for teams and Seattle is seen as a good market. The Coyotes seem even more vulnerable; the only reason they're still in Phoenix is that the bankruptcy court forbid them to leave as part of their decision some years ago. They haven't improved their fortunes drastically since then.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 11:37:21 AM by Tacachale »
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Steve

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2017, 12:09:37 PM »
#BlastFromThePast on this thread...whoa.

It would be interesting to do this again, with
 - Updated data
 - Teams that have moved
 - Including TV Markets and impacts. That affects Football disproportionately since Football works with a national TV Deal. In the other leads the primary deals are with the teams and the national networks pick up out of market games (with some exceptions).

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2017, 08:17:35 PM »
Given its demographics and culture, I think Austin would make for a great market for the MLS.

Columbus Crew are officially exploring a move to Austin.

http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/soccer/mls-franchise-columbus-crew-exploring-move-austin/Hda6a3JApqQNZ2tfea6bTP/

A few nuggets:

1) Columbus' stadium, which opened to much fanfare as the league's first soccer-specific stadium in 1999, is now outdated and is the primary catalyst for a move. Secondary concerns include dwindling attendance, corporate support, and relevance in the city.

2) MLS supports the potential move, provided an appropriate soccer-specific stadium site can be developed in the Austin urban core. MLS believes being in the urban core is very important.

Tacachale

« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2017, 12:08:54 PM »
Given its demographics and culture, I think Austin would make for a great market for the MLS.

http://www.mystatesman.com/sports/soccer/mls-franchise-columbus-crew-exploring-move-austin/Hda6a3JApqQNZ2tfea6bTP/

A few nuggets:

1) Columbus' stadium, which opened to much fanfare as the league's first soccer-specific stadium in 1999, is now outdated and is the primary catalyst for a move. Secondary concerns include dwindling attendance, corporate support, and relevance in the city.

2) MLS supports the potential move, provided an appropriate soccer-specific stadium site can be developed in the Austin urban core. MLS believes being in the urban core is very important.

That sucks. At some point MLS is going to have to build up in their mature markets. They can't rely on expansion bumps and new stadiums indefinitely. They'll probably hit 30 teams (or more) within 10 years and after that, if they can't hang on even in good sized markets like Columbus, they'll go the way of the 1980s NASL.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

FlaBoy

« Reply #42 on: October 19, 2017, 12:14:40 PM »

A few nuggets:

That sucks. At some point MLS is going to have to build up in their mature markets. They can't rely on expansion bumps and new stadiums indefinitely. They'll probably hit 30 teams (or more) within 10 years and after that, if they can't hang on even in good sized markets like Columbus, they'll go the way of the 1980s NASL.

Right. Austin and Columbus are relatively similar locales as well. The BlueJackets are very popular in Columbus though. In Austin, an MLS franchise will probably be the only show in town other than UT for the foreseeable future.

Tacachale

« Reply #43 on: October 19, 2017, 03:01:55 PM »
^Yeah, the attendance is fine in Columbus. The owner claims they aren't making money, but it could just be searching for an excuse to move to a new market. I don't understand their game; Austin has repeatedly said they won't give money for a new stadium, but Columbus is amenable.