Monday, November 24, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Stephen Dare's Hemming Park Liveblog: Bigger, Longer and Unredacted.  (Read 12695 times)

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville
Re: Stephen Dare's Hemming Park Liveblog: Bigger, Longer and Unredacted.
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2014, 09:37:15 AM »
^^ Sounds like a judgment-free zone.

So far it seems to be, although plenty of drama.  The interpersonal relationships are the major source of discussion.

I ended up hanging out with goldenest at the alpha family tree for a while towards the end of the evening, and it was actually the scene of a lot of fun.

Louis, a young sunny puerto rican guy (boricua) brought a battery powered boom box to the park and was playing some pop music.  The women started dancing, including one of the Mamas----a very large woman in her late fifties, early sixties with long hair dyed black on the ends but growing in silver and white for about six inches at the roots.

She was wearing a large floral print dress and her body isn't as agile as the younger women's----and definitely more insulated with flesh, but the sight of such a large floral woman dancing in the twilight certainly added a poignant festivity to the environment.
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2014, 09:45:02 AM »
Another thing that I find interesting is how much spanish is spoken in the park and the nodding floridian spanglish that most of the people use.  I suppose I shouldn't, spanglish goes back a long way here in Florida, although not as common in Jville.

Its different from the spanglish spoken in the west, though.  Softer, clearer, far less Mexican.  The dominant spanish is island (puerto rico and cuba) accented, and the chicano accents sound hard in comparison.  This carries over to the patois of the park, and the very few chicano people in the park all seem to be passing through rather than hanging out.
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2014, 09:51:36 AM »
Dirty Clothes pretty much indicates a newcomer.  There are very ample clothing exchanges, in which you drop in, take off all the soiled clothing and exchange it for donated items.  They aren't very fashionable, obviously, not even in a hipster way, but they are clean and they smell fresh.

Leave it to Jville to make sure that the homeless at least are smelly, and can keep a little dignity about them.

At least for the past couple of days, what Ive found is that when you see someone who is really really dirty or smelly, its usually due to one of two things.  Either they are new and don't know what the resources are, or there are mental or emotional issues going on.

The clothing exchanges aren't open every day, its like alternating days or something and they have hours, but they do serve a pretty important public service and role.

Before they opened, the world was a much smellier place downtown.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 09:53:15 AM by stephendare »

coredumped

• Huge Member
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2014, 09:54:35 AM »
With the music and dancing it sounds like there's a party going on down there! Now I can see why city hall wants to shut it down, too much fun.
Jags season ticket holder.

jcjohnpaint

• Jason John- www.jasonjohnart.com
    • Jason John Website
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2014, 10:08:03 AM »
Does the (clothes exchange) clean the clothes and bring them back, or is it always new clothes? 

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2014, 10:21:37 AM »
Does the (clothes exchange) clean the clothes and bring them back, or is it always new clothes?

That I don't know.  Although the donations are set up on clothing racks like you would find in a vintage store.  It would be surprising if the clothes aren't recycled, though.  I will ask when I make it over there.  I plan on making the daily migration next week sometime (the daily travel that you have to take in order to eat and not get in trouble with the City.  Apparently if you stay anywhere too long, its a problem so the city has the cumulative effect of keeping the whole group of people moving throughout the day along a pretty well established pattern.

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2014, 10:47:56 AM »
With the music and dancing it sounds like there's a party going on down there! Now I can see why city hall wants to shut it down, too much fun.

Pretty much.

Louis lives on the Southside, but loves hanging out in the park.  He is literally one of the most popular and well liked guys in the area.  It helps that he is handsome (though short) and swaggery in that kind of charming latin way.  He and the other alpha family guys are incredibly protective of the older women, and when the occasional drifter comes through the park with a mean streak and begins intimidating or upsetting the Mamas, they make it very clear that the man has to leave the area.

It was actually a bit like the islands with the young women dancing under the skyway last night.  The old, leathery men and posing shirtless younger men standing up against the retaining wall and watching and talking.

I was very impressed with the cop who came over to address the crowd.  He was a nice, jocular guy who was clearly respected by the group.

He came over to talk about a fight that had happened earlier, to make sure that there weren't any lingering resentments or problems.  Apparently two girls had gotten into a fight with a male.  Someone got a trespassing warrant at the park and either one or two people were taken to jail.  There was the kind of general humor in the group conversation----you know, the same kind whenever two girls go apeshit and decide to beat the crap out of someone--usually each other, but apparently in this case, a hapless male was the object of the beat down.  Everyone thought the whole situation was 'CRAZY':  A little shocking, but unsurprising considering the circumstances.

Unfortunately I was already engrossed in a conversation with GoldenEst about establishing legitimacy with your art portfolio to catch the entire conversation.  But the cop was a savvy, friendly community policeman type----really the kind of policeman that the core could use a lot more of.  And once he had satisfied himself that there wasn't anything carrying over from the earlier fight, and had taken a mental note of everyone present, (including a surprised, immediately shut down reaction to my own presence) he went back about the business of checking the rest of his beat.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 11:06:26 AM by stephendare »

coredumped

• Huge Member
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2014, 11:10:13 AM »
Stephen, any plans to snap some photos? Or do you feel that would "blow your cover?" It's public space after all, but I wouldn't want someone to feel like they're being watched, or the subject of a blog ;)
Jags season ticket holder.

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2014, 11:12:39 AM »
Stephen, any plans to snap some photos? Or do you feel that would "blow your cover?" It's public space after all, but I wouldn't want someone to feel like they're being watched, or the subject of a blog ;)

Ive had my camera every day so far.  But I won't feel comfortable taking pictures until I know people a little better.  Ive got some photos of a few of the more clownish people in the park, but they aren't really representative.

Im hoping to get a few today though.

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2014, 11:22:58 AM »
Another interesting grouplet, is one of the beta families.  There are a few of the older men (late thirties through sixties) that hang out in the conference room area who are hopeless dungeon and dragon geeks.

Usually they are in the library playing online games, but the core of the family is three men: Big John, Pinkbeard and another guy whose name I haven't gotten yet.

Two of them are fairly fat, with beards and glasses, and small duffle bags.  The other is a tall lanky guy with a white beard that has a pink corona about three inches below his chin.  It looks like Manic Panic pink, but I can't really be sure yet.

There are a few girls who come in and out of the D&D Family.  They tend to be the thick, eyeglass wearing variety.  But the one thing that they share in common (well most of them) is that they have laptops.  Laptops that they care after with the same kind of vigilance that one might normally show to Marsellus Wallace's briefcase.

From what I have been told, these are the gentle giants, a little brainy, a little nerdy.  I think the street girls find 'nice guys' very comforting to hang out with every now and then.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 11:52:30 AM by stephendare »

funguy

« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2014, 12:04:30 PM »
Speaking as a people watching addict thanks Stephen ..  fun observations.

Don't argue with an idiot; people watching may not be able to tell the difference

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2014, 01:40:00 PM »
Ok in Hemming Park (actually at the excellent "Brick" coffee stand at the Ed Ball Building---thank the good merciful heavens that there is actually coffee that you can drink downtown.) The park is a little bit dead, as the rain and the daily migration has emptied it out for people searching either for shelter or lunch.

Its a bit hot, but Louis, the affable representative of the Alpha family and the D&D family are in the park.

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2014, 01:54:01 PM »
Cesery's guys have opened the old Seminole Club.  (they just got the internal demo contract inked yesterday,)

GoldenEst and I went on a tour of the building.  It would be nice if they decided to restore the old balcony overlook in the ballroom. (such a grand room once upon a time)

But apparently there is no consensus yet on how the space will be reconstructed, Lemonis and Pete both ask for tons of input throughout the process, so there is no telling what the final product is going to look like.

Tyler12stair

« Reply #28 on: July 18, 2014, 06:02:16 PM »
Hay Stephen it's Tyler from the park !

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #29 on: July 18, 2014, 11:19:19 PM »
A few shots of two skater boys from Middleburg who came all the way to downtown to skate Hemming Park, Tyler and Roger:

Wel mannered, young, energetic.  These two added a lot of fun to the park on a Friday Afternoon.