Author Topic: Bring Home The USS Adams To Downtown Jacksonville  (Read 15560 times)

downtownbrown

Re: Bring Home The USS Adams To Downtown Jacksonville
« Reply #75 on: October 12, 2017, 09:56:29 AM »
The Adams is going on the east side of the pier next to the Berkman marina, known as Pier 1.  The ongoing fundraising will be to fix the pier and build a modular entrance building and memorial park at the end of the pier.

jaxjaguar

« Reply #76 on: October 12, 2017, 09:18:23 PM »
If they're able to get it here by January, does that mean it would be ready for tours within a few weeks? Or would the repairs and everything else not happen until it got here? We'll be hosting an event downtown in April and I'm curious if it'll be ready by then.

RiversideRambler

« Reply #77 on: October 12, 2017, 10:35:24 PM »
Personally, I'd rather take a tour of Khan's yacht.

Murder_me_Rachel

« Reply #78 on: October 13, 2017, 08:38:35 AM »
I don't understand the obsession with this ship, or why people think that it is going to be a huge crowd draw. 

Also, fuck any and all glorification of war, empire, and military might.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2017, 08:40:53 AM »
If they're able to get it here by January, does that mean it would be ready for tours within a few weeks? Or would the repairs and everything else not happen until it got here? We'll be hosting an event downtown in April and I'm curious if it'll be ready by then.

That group has been claiming that this ship will be on Jacksonville's shoreline 'this year' for several years. If it were me, I'd plan on hosting that event at an actual real-life venue.

fieldafm

• Editor
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2017, 08:49:14 AM »
I don't understand the obsession with this ship, or why people think that it is going to be a huge crowd draw. 

Their latest claim is that it will bring an 'additional' 2,000-3,000 people to downtown every day, resulting in over a million visitors annually.

That's 4 times the amount of attendance at Patriots Point Naval & Maritime Museum in downtown Charleston, which includes three warships (one being an aircraft carrier) and is in the heart of one of the top tourist destinations in the country.  That museum opened in 1976 and just celebrated its 10 millionth visitor this year.

As a comparison locally, 1 million annual visitors would be three times the annual attendance at Jumbo Shrimp games- which just set their all-time attendance record this year (and offer tickets as low as $5).

Josh

« Reply #81 on: October 13, 2017, 09:21:09 AM »

The plan is to allow deck tours as soon as possible when the ship arrives, while the rest of the restoration and associated work is done inside the ship.

Jim

• MetJax
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2017, 10:29:41 AM »

Their latest claim is that it will bring an 'additional' 2,000-3,000 people to downtown every day, resulting in over a million visitors annually.
They probably need to take a 0 off of those attendance claims.

jaxjaguar

« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2017, 10:37:29 AM »
I could see them averaging 3-500/day pretty easily. Between sports district and downtown events, field trips, vets and random visitors. That's still 3-500 more people doing something downtown more often and longer than before.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2017, 10:51:48 AM »
The numbers don't sound financially sustainable. If it makes it to Jax, it will something taxpayers will eventually be on the hook for.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

KenFSU

« Reply #85 on: October 13, 2017, 03:54:28 PM »
I think it's a cool project, but unfortunately, I also worry that the cart's coming before the horse.

Seems like it would have a much better shot at success 5-8 years from now, if and when proposed projects like the Shipyards, Veteran's Park, Coastline/Convention Center, the District, and the Trio come to fruition and invigorate the riverwalk and downtown core.

I'd love to know what break-even would look like for operations and maintenance.
Big League City! 100 Years of Football in Jacksonville, with foreword by Shad Khan, now available!
http://www.amazon.com/Big-League-City-Football-Jacksonville/dp/0990342409/

jaxlongtimer

« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2017, 09:57:39 PM »
FYI, when I was young growing up in Jax, the Navy used to regularly bring active ships to dock downtown along the Northbank and open them to public tours.  Often, they had one or two for July 4th.  They did the same for ships at Mayport, particularly for the several aircraft carriers that were based there.  They were so regular, there were never any long lines, as I recall.

Looks like those days are forever over unless you have connections or are a VIP.

Aside from what appeal the Adams may have, I agree the finances of maintaining this ship and operating it as a tourist attraction would appear difficult to "keep it afloat".  It might bring in some traffic as an entertainment venue, but I wonder how it could be configured to serve extensive food and drink menus to decent numbers of people and how the likely tight spaces on a ship like this could be opened up into the larger open/unobstructed spaces most events/meetings would demand.  Also, would it be able to easily flow people in such spaces to a view of the City and the river?  Maybe a Navy veteran could explain.

I think its backers should be told that, under almost no circumstances, should they count on the taxpayers subsidizing this if it doesn't work out otherwise.  Jax just has too many other priorities to fund right now and taking care of this ship can't be cheap.  Would be interesting to see what numbers they are using to "break even" or better.

I would think retired carriers (e.g. NYC and Charleston) would be the ultimate draw among ships.  Would be interesting to compare with their economics.