Author Topic: The Players Championship is Northeast Florida's signature event -- or is it?  (Read 10970 times)

TimmyB

• T
^Welcome! I'm sure you'll love it here. Jacksonville is a largely unappreciated gem. As someone who grew up in Jacksonville and then moved away and later came back, I can tell you that it is hard to know just how good we have it here till one tries living in another city. The complacency is real around here.

Thank you!  I totally get that vibe on these forums.  People are simply spoiled by all of this and only see the negatives.  Granted, there are plenty of things that could be improved on, but what a gem this city is.  October 1 can't come soon enough, for me!  ;)

RattlerGator

Florida-Georgia weekend and the TPC are by far the biggest events in Jacksonville where people from outside the city want to come in to attend. Good move by the PGA and it should be fine for Jax.

TPC far eclipses the FL-GA game. I used to work with a guy who was an avid golfer. He knew about Jax b/c of the TPC. The TPC has far more national and international recognition than the FL-GA game. No one outside of the south east who doesn't really care about college football or those teams really knows that much (if anything at all) about that game.

I think you have it exactly backwards, my friend. And you're obviously not alone. This is from our buddy simms3 on May 13, 2014, 07:13:49 PM and it is the kind of maddening personal bubble take that should be guarded against:

• Golfers come in from around the world as do their fans.  It's really the only thing that gives the area massive exposure.  Football games not so much unless you aggregate Jags games into one "event", and then it would probably be #1.  The FL-GA game is totally regional.  People outside of NE FL, UF, and UGA have barely ever even heard of it, if at all, nor do they shred an ounce of care.

Simms is apparently unaware, like Adam, the Florida-Georgia game is annually televised nationally on CBS (not some cable outlet) for at least two decades now and outdraws Players Championship television viewers, especially when Tiger Woods is not challenging for the win. This means CBS has decided for at least two decades now the Florida-Georgia game is one of the few events on the college football calendar worthy every damn year of national telecast to Portland, Oregon and Portland, Maine / Miami, Florida and Miami, Oklahoma. And it isn't merely televised nationally every year, it is *the* most televised game by the SEC on CBS package which, oh by the way, is *the* most popular broadcast of college football in the feaking nation. Not just the state of Florida. Not just the Southeast. Not just the South. The nation. But yeah, *nobody* outside of UF or UGA circles or northeast Florida have even heard of the game. Wow -- the idiocy of that statement, man.

Florida-Georgia is *easily* the signature event for our area. The Players is easily number two. But the Jaguars are absolutely the most significant and signature *happening* for our area by far. My fellow Florida fans sometimes don't like to hear it but the Jaguars make the impact of, and support for, the Gators look puny by comparison.

TimmyB:

You're right, of course. People underplay this point I'm about to make but if the city had changed its name after consolidation to Duval, it would be much better off, perception-wise. Long city names ending in ville have a subliminal psychological effect that scream "rural" or country. You combine this with the St. Augustine people not knowing how to combine efforts and insisting on a separate branding strategy -- well, you get what we have.

Hopefully Shad will soon have things in place, in concert with the city and other local & national developers, so that downtown Jacksonville will become a legitimate destination for conferences, sports and musical nightlife. Because you're right, TimmyB, Jacksonville is a largely unappreciated gem of rivers, beaches, sunshine and history.

Adam White

• Facebook
Florida-Georgia weekend and the TPC are by far the biggest events in Jacksonville where people from outside the city want to come in to attend. Good move by the PGA and it should be fine for Jax.

TPC far eclipses the FL-GA game. I used to work with a guy who was an avid golfer. He knew about Jax b/c of the TPC. The TPC has far more national and international recognition than the FL-GA game. No one outside of the south east who doesn't really care about college football or those teams really knows that much (if anything at all) about that game.

I think you have it exactly backwards, my friend. And you're obviously not alone. This is from our buddy simms3 on May 13, 2014, 07:13:49 PM and it is the kind of maddening personal bubble take that should be guarded against:

• Golfers come in from around the world as do their fans.  It's really the only thing that gives the area massive exposure.  Football games not so much unless you aggregate Jags games into one "event", and then it would probably be #1.  The FL-GA game is totally regional.  People outside of NE FL, UF, and UGA have barely ever even heard of it, if at all, nor do they shred an ounce of care.

Simms is apparently unaware, like Adam, the Florida-Georgia game is annually televised nationally on CBS (not some cable outlet) for at least two decades now and outdraws Players Championship television viewers, especially when Tiger Woods is not challenging for the win. This means CBS has decided for at least two decades now the Florida-Georgia game is one of the few events on the college football calendar worthy every damn year of national telecast to Portland, Oregon and Portland, Maine / Miami, Florida and Miami, Oklahoma. And it isn't merely televised nationally every year, it is *the* most televised game by the SEC on CBS package which, oh by the way, is *the* most popular broadcast of college football in the feaking nation. Not just the state of Florida. Not just the Southeast. Not just the South. The nation. But yeah, *nobody* outside of UF or UGA circles or northeast Florida have even heard of the game. Wow -- the idiocy of that statement, man.

Florida-Georgia is *easily* the signature event for our area. The Players is easily number two. But the Jaguars are absolutely the most significant and signature *happening* for our area by far. My fellow Florida fans sometimes don't like to hear it but the Jaguars make the impact of, and support for, the Gators look puny by comparison.

TimmyB:

You're right, of course. People underplay this point I'm about to make but if the city had changed its name after consolidation to Duval, it would be much better off, perception-wise. Long city names ending in ville have a subliminal psychological effect that scream "rural" or country. You combine this with the St. Augustine people not knowing how to combine efforts and insisting on a separate branding strategy -- well, you get what we have.

Hopefully Shad will soon have things in place, in concert with the city and other local & national developers, so that downtown Jacksonville will become a legitimate destination for conferences, sports and musical nightlife. Because you're right, TimmyB, Jacksonville is a largely unappreciated gem of rivers, beaches, sunshine and history.

Did you just call me an idiot, JB (in a roundabout way)?

If a bunch of college football-loving inbreds watch that game all over America, then fine. But people outside the USA certainly aren't that aware of it. The TPC, however, has an international following. That was my point.

That said, it might be that the FL-GA game gets more TV viewers. I'm still not sure, based on the info I've seen. In any event, it's fair to say (I think) that One Spark is nowhere near either of these events.

Edit: as far as the NFL is concerned, it has a much wider global audience (for some reason I have yet to figure out). But it does help with Jacksonville's name recognition. And it helps line the pockets of corporate welfare queen Shahid Khan.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 10:24:49 AM by Adam White »
“If you're going to play it out of tune, then play it out of tune properly.”

Tacachale

Not sure why this is a competition, or why it's gotten so heated. TPC and FL-GA are not totally comparable, with the former being a multi-day event. TPC probably has higher *total* attendance and viewership but a lot of those are repeat attendees/viewers. The average attendance and TV viewership is lower than FL-GA.

FL-GA's profile is more dependent on how relevant the two teams are that year. Some years, when both are serious SEC and national contenders, its viewership is considerably higher than it has been the last several years. Other years, it's lower. Of course most of its draw is regional. It's mostly UF and UGA fans that follow it, then SEC fans, then college football fans. TPC has an international draw. However, it and the sport of golf is declining. Fewer people play the sport every year, and even fewer watch it.

TPC also takes place in Ponte Vedra and a lot of its impact is in St. Johns County. FL-GA takes place in Downtown Jacksonville and its impact is far and away in Duval County. People who know the game, know it takes place in Jacksonville; there are probably many TPC viewers and even some attendees who don't realize that Ponte Vedra is a suburb of Jacksonville.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Adam White

• Facebook
Not sure why this is a competition, or why it's gotten so heated. TPC and FL-GA are not totally comparable, with the former being a multi-day event. TPC probably has higher *total* attendance and viewership but a lot of those are repeat attendees/viewers. The average attendance and TV viewership is lower than FL-GA.

FL-GA's profile is more dependent on how relevant the two teams are that year. Some years, when both are serious SEC and national contenders, its viewership is considerably higher than it has been the last several years. Other years, it's lower. Of course most of its draw is regional. It's mostly UF and UGA fans that follow it, then SEC fans, then college football fans. TPC has an international draw. However, it and the sport of golf is declining. Fewer people play the sport every year, and even fewer watch it.

TPC also takes place in Ponte Vedra and a lot of its impact is in St. Johns County. FL-GA takes place in Downtown Jacksonville and its impact is far and away in Duval County. People who know the game, know it takes place in Jacksonville; there are probably many TPC viewers and even some attendees who don't realize that Ponte Vedra is a suburb of Jacksonville.

To be fair, JB and I are cool with each other and it's all in good fun. Not heated at all, though it probably reads that way.

I completely admit that I'm probably wrong when it comes to my estimation of the size of FL-GA, but I stand by my assessment of its profile internationally. The truth is that very few people outside the USA follow college football. Golf is more popular (again, for reasons I cannot understand).

jlmann

TPC, obviously. 

FL/GA may pull a lot of viewers, but giving it the 3:30 CBS slot is responsible for a lot of that.  There are tons of college football fans who just watch college football all day.  They're going to watch whatever game is on, and millions of tvs in bars and restaurants will also be tuned in to whatever football game is on, too.

TPC does not share such advantages and yet it hangs with FL/GA.  Plus TPC can and has raised our profile among the type of people who can have an impact on the area or we'd actually want in the area- business leaders and the affluent.

Plus who cares if trashy drunks and the RV city set likes Jax.

Tacachale

Plus TPC can and has raised our profile among the type of people who can have an impact on the area or we'd actually want in the area- business leaders and the affluent.

Or rather, 64-year-old men.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Adam White

• Facebook

Plus TPC can and has raised our profile among the type of people who can have an impact on the area or we'd actually want in the area- business leaders and the affluent.

Or rather, 64-year-old men.

Hey...don't bring Donald Trump into this!

(I realise he's actually 71. But he's male and apparently likes golf. A lot.)

FlaBoy

TimmyB:

If a bunch of college football-loving inbreds watch that game all over America, then fine. But people outside the USA certainly aren't that aware of it. The TPC, however, has an international following. That was my point.

That said, it might be that the FL-GA game gets more TV viewers. I'm still not sure, based on the info I've seen. In any event, it's fair to say (I think) that One Spark is nowhere near either of these events.

Edit: as far as the NFL is concerned, it has a much wider global audience (for some reason I have yet to figure out). But it does help with Jacksonville's name recognition. And it helps line the pockets of corporate welfare queen Shahid Khan.

College Football-Loving Inbreds? Where did you go to college? Interestingly, college football also has one of the most highly educated followings of any sport with schools like Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State, Notre Dame, USC, UCLA, Texas, Texas A&M, Stanford, etc. having large alumni bases and a high percentage of those alumni closely following the sport.

Adam White

• Facebook

TimmyB:

College Football-Loving Inbreds? Where did you go to college? Interestingly, college football also has one of the most highly educated followings of any sport with schools like Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Penn State, Notre Dame, USC, UCLA, Texas, Texas A&M, Stanford, etc. having large alumni bases and a high percentage of those alumni closely following the sport.

Simmer down. I was just baiting RG.

For the record, I went to UF and UNF.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NG0PHeYyuks" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NG0PHeYyuks</a>
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 01:35:35 PM by Adam White »

jlmann

why are golf broadcast advertisers comprised mostly of investment, tax, global consulting companies and the like?

why are college football commercials mostly sophomoric bud light and taco bell commercials?

Advertiser tend to do their research on whos watching.

Like it or not 64 y/o men who like golf are far more likely to have business operations and assets that could be redirected to NE FL than your average FL/GA attendee.  They're also much wealthier on average and would contribute much more to our local economy by moving here compared to an out-of-town FL/GA goer.

The boxes at FL/GA are mostly full of the same folks sitting there for jags games.  TPC attracts top shelf corporate sponsors who bring their best clients to their hospitality tents.

Let's say Shad Khan was looking for outside partnership or investment for a major endeavor in Jax.  He's going to bring a group of highly powerful, connected and influential people to one event in Jax and describe it as our signature event, which one should he choose?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 04:30:10 PM by jlmann »

Tacachale

^He'd probably do both. That's the beauty of living in Jacksonville.

Jim

• MetJax
Seriously guys?  Are we really having a sports influence/marketing penis contest?

Adam White

• Facebook
Seriously guys?  Are we really having a sports influence/marketing penis contest?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/NG0PHeYyuks" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/NG0PHeYyuks</a>