Tuesday, October 21, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: What lost mobility fee funds could have paid for  (Read 3868 times)

JeffreyS

Re: What lost mobility fee funds could have paid for
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2013, 09:49:54 PM »
I just sent another round of emails.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.  Mark Twain

pwhitford

« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2013, 03:04:19 PM »
to:    Clay@coj.net, WBishop@coj.net, RClark@coj.net, Redman@coj.net, LBoyer@coj.net, MattS@coj.net, Gaffney@coj.net, EDLee@coj.net, WAJones@coj.net, RBrown@coj.net, Holt@coj.net, doylec@coj.net, Gulliford@coj.net, JimLove@coj.net, KimDaniels@coj.net, JRC@coj.net, Joost@coj.net, GAnderson@coj.net, RLumb@coj.net, mayorbrown@coj.net
date:    Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM
subject:    Vote NO on 2013-94

I am a resident of District 5.  I just wanted to advise you of my opinion on the proposed Mobility Fee Moratorium. 

I am clearly, strongly and unequivocally opposed to any mobility fee moratorium.  There is no actual evidence in support of any argument that the moratorium has any effect on development here in Jacksonville  let alone a negative one   Meanwhile, the loss of revenue to the City of Jacksonville is inexcusable, especially in light of a) the difficult financial times we find ourselves in, and b) the actual effect of the moratorium   Specifically I refer to the fact that the moratorium benefits only a small class of (Well connected?  Wealthy enough to pay the most effective lobbyists?) citizens, and is only objected to by them because it serves to lessen, to a rather small degree, their ultimate financial return on an investment.  This is  a reckless practice that entices irrational development, without context or sustainability, the negative impacts of which resonate long after any alleged "benefit" from the "spurred" construction has evaporated.  In reality, the moratorium disproportionately and negatively effects the vast majority of "regular" citizens of Jacksonville who end up either paying more in taxes for the developer's folly or must suffer from lower standards of service and less desirable conditions because of the effects of such development and the diversion of their taxes to supplement a developer's irrational dreams of mindless expansion and sprawl.

We must not sacrifice our citizens genuine interests for invisible or non-existent short term "gains" nor for political expedience.  I know you are probably bombarded with various forms of influence wielded by the experienced and cagey agents and supporters of the objecting class, a small but powerful group of local developers. But I urge you to stand strong in opposition to these forces of stagnation and greed.  Vote against the mobility fee moratorium and vote for a better Jacksonville. 

Thank you
Enlightenment--that magnificent escape from anguish and ignorance--never happens by accident. It results from the brave and sometimes lonely battle of one person against his own weaknesses.

-Bhikkhu Nyanasobhano, "Landscapes of Wonder"

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2013, 03:28:27 PM »
to:    Clay@coj.net, WBishop@coj.net, RClark@coj.net, Redman@coj.net, LBoyer@coj.net, MattS@coj.net, Gaffney@coj.net, EDLee@coj.net, WAJones@coj.net, RBrown@coj.net, Holt@coj.net, doylec@coj.net, Gulliford@coj.net, JimLove@coj.net, KimDaniels@coj.net, JRC@coj.net, Joost@coj.net, GAnderson@coj.net, RLumb@coj.net, mayorbrown@coj.net
date:    Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM
subject:    The Developer Proposed Moratorium on Paying For Sensible Infrastructure.

Hello,

I just thought I would send a note of alarm and hope your way before tonight's meeting.

As you probably guessed Im writing about this very self serving attempt on the part of several of the Developers to pass yet another 'moratorium' on the Mobility Fee.

After speaking to many of you after the last Moratorium, I realized that it might not be apparent that there is already an exemption to the Mobility Fee built right into the fee itself.

There are actually a number of them.  If you build downtown, for example.  There is no Mobility Fee.  If you build near established transportation corridors, you get a discount.  If you reuse an existing building, you get abatements.  If you infill you get more credits.

If you build in such a way that uses the infrastructure that we have already built, then the price comes down.

The Fee itself is only fully assessed if your real estate development is in an area that would have to be completely subsidized by the taxpayers in terms building and maintaining infrastructure and public order that low price or medium priced housing is simply not an option.

But no one forces the developer to build there. And no one keeps them from doing it.  It just takes away the financial incentive to build where the taxpayers will always have to foot the bill for their little project by making the financial stakes a little higher.(and therefore demanding higher quality construction in order to attract a market that can afford to it.)

EVEN SO, at the highest tabulation rate, it is still only half of what the same developers were being required to pay only 5 years ago.  THEY ARE ALREADY GETTING A HUGE DISCOUNT.

I hope that you will vote in the interest of the public instead of this handful of wealthy men, many of whom are liberal campaign donors.

I think that the economy needs you to do the right thing for the citizens who elected you.  We all need to work together as a whole instead of to pass off what amounts to cash favors for some wealthy donors.

And I really do think that this is a time where public consciousness of these issues is becoming a deciding factor in any future electability.

People want things to work. They don't want to be taxed so that one or two guys can make off with a barrel of money.  They want them to earn that through the excellence of their work and their product instead.

You will do yourselves a favor in the long run, both politically and simply because you might want your kids to stick around after college in the future City of Jacksonville that your votes are forming even now.

Please.  I know the letter is wordy, but please.  Consider all of our best interests.  Its your future too.  And if you do it right, maybe it will also be the future home of your grandkids.

Sincerely
Stephen Dare
MetroJacksonville.com

--
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2013, 03:51:38 PM »
Here is the text of my email.

Dear Council members,

I am asking that you do not vote to extend the moratorium on collecting the mobility fee. We can longer continue to subsidize suburban sprawl. We need to begin to encourage investment and redevelopment in the urban core and surronding neighborhoods by improving connectivity and mobility. We also can not afford to lose the ability to leverage FEDERAL FUNDING. The competition for project funding on the national level is becoming more and more stiff, the feds are looking to invest in communities that invest in themselves. This mobility fee is a sure way for Jacksonville to be able to match federal dollars with local dollars to help fund major transit or highway projects. If we do not have a sure proof way of setting aside local dollars to match federal dollars Jacksonville will lose out to other cities like Charlotte, Austin, Nashville etc. For the sake and future of the quality of life in this city please do not extend the moratorium.

Thank you for your time and consideration in this very important matter.

Cliona

« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2013, 04:13:29 PM »
to:    Clay@coj.net, WBishop@coj.net, RClark@coj.net, Redman@coj.net, LBoyer@coj.net, MattS@coj.net, Gaffney@coj.net, EDLee@coj.net, WAJones@coj.net, RBrown@coj.net, Holt@coj.net, doylec@coj.net, Gulliford@coj.net, JimLove@coj.net, KimDaniels@coj.net, JRC@coj.net, Joost@coj.net, GAnderson@coj.net, RLumb@coj.net, mayorbrown@coj.net
date:    Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 3:00 PM
subject:    Vote NO on 2013-94

I am a resident of District 5.  I just wanted to advise you of my opinion on the proposed Mobility Fee Moratorium. 

I am clearly, strongly and unequivocally opposed to any mobility fee moratorium.  There is no actual evidence in support of any argument that the moratorium has any effect on development here in Jacksonville  let alone a negative one   Meanwhile, the loss of revenue to the City of Jacksonville is inexcusable, especially in light of a) the difficult financial times we find ourselves in, and b) the actual effect of the moratorium   Specifically I refer to the fact that the moratorium benefits only a small class of (Well connected?  Wealthy enough to pay the most effective lobbyists?) citizens, and is only objected to by them because it serves to lessen, to a rather small degree, their ultimate financial return on an investment.  This is  a reckless practice that entices irrational development, without context or sustainability, the negative impacts of which resonate long after any alleged "benefit" from the "spurred" construction has evaporated.  In reality, the moratorium disproportionately and negatively effects the vast majority of "regular" citizens of Jacksonville who end up either paying more in taxes for the developer's folly or must suffer from lower standards of service and less desirable conditions because of the effects of such development and the diversion of their taxes to supplement a developer's irrational dreams of mindless expansion and sprawl.

We must not sacrifice our citizens genuine interests for invisible or non-existent short term "gains" nor for political expedience.  I know you are probably bombarded with various forms of influence wielded by the experienced and cagey agents and supporters of the objecting class, a small but powerful group of local developers. But I urge you to stand strong in opposition to these forces of stagnation and greed.  Vote against the mobility fee moratorium and vote for a better Jacksonville. 

Thank you

Springfield Chicken

« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2013, 04:47:55 PM »
to the Mayor and City Council:

http://www.colliergov.net/index.aspx?page=1725

I’ve been in real estate for over 20 years.  In Collier County, where I worked up until 2006, we had the largest impact fees in the state.  Not only did the existence of those fees not deter growth, Collier County was one of the fastest growing counties in the state for decades.  So any argument that Mobility Fees will hamper growth is a myth or a story put out by developers who want to enhance their profits.  Developers don’t work on small profit margins.  So the fractional impact a Mobility Fee will have on their profits is minor and will not be the reason they choose to build or not.

In the meantime, Jacksonville has to work on its image and infrastructure if we are going to be a viable location for new business, expanded business, and desirability.  The fees are structured such that growth pays for growth.  There are incentives to build where infrastructure already exists.  The Jacksonville area sprawls over a large area but we have a lot of pockets of available land in areas that could be developed at a lower cost to the developer.

Take a look at the link above.  You can calculate in Collier County the amount of the impact fee for any kind of development down to a single family home, which by the way is currently around $18,000.  Their growth has not stopped but the quality of life they can offer with the infrastructure paid for with developer fees has made it one of the top places to live in the state of Florida.

Jacksonville has so much to offer that South Florida does not – the ocean, rivers, historic areas, etc.  Let’s make sure that our infrastructure adds to that desirability!

tufsu1

« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2013, 05:08:46 PM »
sent my letters today