Author Topic: Jim Bailey: Enough is Enough.  (Read 9266 times)

Jimmy

• Less talking and more doing.
    • @JimmyMidyette
Re: Jim Bailey: Enough is Enough.
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2013, 01:47:56 PM »
Need you even ask? ;)

Crescimbeni, Jones, Love, and Boyer in favor and on the right side of history.

Yarborough, Lumb and Holt against and on the wrong side of history.
twitter.com/JimmyMidyette

simms3

• Time has come
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2013, 02:14:03 PM »
Again...it IS the people of Jacksonville that allow this to happen.  MJers live in a bubble fantasy that Jacksonville is at least sort of progressive and there's always this question of "Why?" are we so behind?  The shenanigans that go on in government there simply do not happen in other major cities that are favorable and progressing.  They might happen a little to some stagnant Midwest cities or rarely in one-off occasions in random metros, but Dear Jesus it seems to happen enough to make *National* news all the time in Jacksonville.

It's an epidemic problem.  The larger problem is that outside of "unbiased" news reports that say "x person said/did this, others viewed it as a sign of problems plaguing the city", etc and outside of MetroJacksonville, your average retiree at the beach doesn't care (they don't even view themselves as part of the city), your average nurse on the SS doesn't even know of the problem because he/she is working 14 hour shifts, and your average old-timer intown/westside doesn't care because they vote for these stinkin people time and time again...and some of them agree with people like Clay and Lumb!

Tis question must be asked: How Gay/Gay-Friendly IS Riverside if the people there voted for Lumb, who voted against a simple human rights "recognition" bill that is but a baby step in protecting gays in the workforce?  I could conjure up other "don't ask" questions, but won't.

Thank you to Jim Bailey for writing this letter...I'm sure it was also an editorial in the paper.
Bothering locals and trolling boards since 2005

Cheshire Cat

• Diane Melendez is Cheshire Cat
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2013, 03:31:04 PM »
^Simms, I would completely agree that "the people" of Jacksonville need to behave more as a collective when it comes to influencing the direction this city takes and how it votes.  Consider this if you will.  I don't think Metrojacksonville users all "live in a bubble".  If you take a moment to think about it, at all levels in any community whether it be online or in formal meetings or coffee shop conversations, people of like minds and concerns are drawn together, this is just natural.  What I would point out is that when we make a statement like "it's the fault of the people" you need to remember you are invoking "people" of all views.  So consider that with a "call to the people", it may be a good thing to define who those people are.  :)

Jacksonville's roots and who has had influence here for decades tell much of the story of why issues like having a "Muslim" on any board is problematic.  Control has been held by White Christian men for nearly all of our political history.  Only now has that started to change, on the surface at least.

At the core of the issue is "religious bigotry".  Consider that conflicts between Christian and Islamic religious views are age old.  Now consider the influence of Christian churches and pastors on the folks currently holding office here from the Mayor to all elected officials as well as upon their followers, i.e. voters.  When any group has fear of, or suspects the religious views of another group we unfortunately see one try and repress or destroy the other.  In so doing many local Christian's and activists not only believe they are doing "Christs" work but are also saving the community from potential influence of Muslim extremists.  These ideas presented on local pulpits by fearful pastors and activists like the fellow named "Randy" who readily fans the fires of Muslim distrust is at the heart of this ongoing conflict.  So we end up with this mucky soup of religious bigotry wrapped in the "justification" of public security from Muslim extremists. 

We have a sizable FBI office and presence in Jacksonville, along with the Navy and a port authority.  If there was any chance that Mr. Ahmed were a "terrorist" as some are suggesting, you can be darn sure he would already be on the radar of officials.  There have been no public indictments from authorities.  Regardless of individuals that Ahmed may have been photographed with or groups he frequented that may have had members with more extreme views, he himself has done nothing while sitting on the Human Rights commission that has had even a hint of impropriety.  It is absurd to imagine that as individuals we are guilty of anything simply through association.

Now lets put the same equation to the issue of Gay rights and protection of those rights in Jacksonville.  Again look to local history influenced heavily by pastors and people of the Christian Faith.  Many individuals have been taught by their pastors that "homosexuality" is a sin against God, an absurdity of a belief to be sure, but embraced by many people none the less.  This is a position not only expressed through white church leadership, but also through black church leadership.   In the case of the legislation recently rejected by city council that spoke to protecting gay rights, we again see in your face religious bigotry, in this case wrapped up by some as an issue of landlord rights, church rights etc., to make it a more acceptable to a wider range of persons.  Taking this position they hoped would say "we are not bigots or homophobes, we are just looking after our own rights".  A simple mind game and charade to be sure but the best some could come up with to hide the truth of bigotry and judgement.

I do not think "the people" in this case failed to get this bill passed.  The failure of this legislation falls directly at the feet of a mayor who refused to take a position on the issue in spite of declarations of support for equal treatment of all citizens and a councilman named Johnnie Gaffney, who became a turncoat after being "pressured and promised" by some individuals of color and influence to change his vote. People who were and are protecting the valuable asset of church support in politics and well as political donations from more conservative donors.  It was Gaffney's last minute vote change that killed this bill.  So who got to Gaffney?  That is what "the people" in support should be asking along with why the mayor refused to stand in support of this bill after having the support of many in the Gay community for his election.

As far as believing "the people" who are not fearful and open minded in both cases have "allowed" this to happen is inaccurate in my view.  There were hundreds upon hundreds of supporters in both cases who spoke out on this issue, legislators who voted in support of both issues.  Ahmed is reappointed and we saw folks like Mr. Woods of the T.U. and Mr. Bailey of The Daily record speak up as well as past mayors, university leaders, community leaders etc. 

I think the thing that can be done to put "bigotry" in the case of sexual identity to rest in our city is to go "big"! The group needs to work to get signatures to put this up as a ballot issue voted on by folks citywide and also take the issue to the State level and push legislation there. 

The young folks coming of age along with many of voting age now do not hold to bigotry in any form.  Time and effort will change this dynamic with consistent attention and involvement. 
« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 04:15:29 PM by Cheshire Cat »
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

Jaxson

• Peace of Mind blog
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2013, 07:37:19 PM »
I agree with previous posters.  I know Jim Bailey to be a stand-up person who cares about our community.  I have seen his words and deeds.  He is an all-around good person IMHO.
John Louis Meeks, Jr.

Jimmy

• @JimmyMidyette
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2013, 11:51:02 PM »
Tis question must be asked: How Gay/Gay-Friendly IS Riverside if the people there voted for Lumb, who voted against a simple human rights "recognition" bill that is but a baby step in protecting gays in the workforce?  I could conjure up other "don't ask" questions, but won't.

Just want to jump in and fix one thing here.  Lumb ran at-large and was elected by the whole county.  Jim Love, District 14, supported the HRO amendment (at least with regard to gays and lesbians) and has made supportive comments about the future of the bill since.

But your other points are well-taken.

kreger

« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2013, 11:51:40 AM »
^ Preach! Amen and hallelujah!

tufsu1

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2013, 02:16:34 PM »
well lets be correct.  All of the Council Members voted against the ordinance except for two. 

I think even Jimmy would tell you the first bill had some major flaws in it

Jimmy

• @JimmyMidyette
« Reply #22 on: February 24, 2013, 02:19:30 PM »
^ Yep.  Politics is the art of the possible.  The bill as originally drafted wasn't possible.

The substitute was more possible, but ironically not very artful.

We'll get it right in Round 2.

xplanner

« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2013, 11:51:03 PM »
I returned to J-ville last night, after spending three days at a large gathering of venture capital entities who invest billions (that's dollars, with a "b") in partnership with municipalities around the US and Canada. I attended the event simply as an observer, but the greater purpose was essentially a"speed-dating" event between 36 progressive cities from four time zones, and an undetermined number of investors who were interested in hearing about prospective urban redevelopment projects where they might put those aforementioned billions of private capital.

It was made clear by the investors I spoke to that they have plenty of pent-up demand (money) for investment opportunities and also clear that the public sector need for private capital and management capacity is significant. It is an investors market out there. Some cities that were present made connections that I am sure will result in projects ranging from convention hotels to schools, to jails, to City Hall buildings and residential lofts. Our football conference rival, Indianapolis, presented a plan so sophisticated it bordered on unbelievable. As was the price tag that involved over $100 million in committed private capital investment, dead in the center of their CBD.

I didn't hear anyone say it directly, but the message came through to me loud and clear. Private venture capitalists don't have any time at all to waste on backwater politics. They are looking for demonstrable evidence from local governments that their investments are safe from political intolerance, bigotry, racism and backroom gatekeeping that might adversely affect their return on investment. They recognize that every successful urban redevelopment effort in this country is founded on a tolerance of diversity, GLBTG urban pioneers, the arts culture, and the food and entertainment industries, as well as embracing youthful entrepreneurs who cater to a different crowd.

Small wonder that college towns like Austin and Tempe rank so high in economic indicators in this fiscal climate, and small wonder that private venture capital is flowing to those "progressive" cities while avoiding "like the plague" those cities with cultures of backwardness.

It is sadly ironic that as much rhetoric as we feed ourselves about the good things we want to happen in this town, that we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot on the public national stage.

Soon. Very soon, people who could make a difference in Jacksonville are going to realize that it might be easier to pull up and move to where things are heading in the right direction than to continue to pour money and effort down a proverbial rathole while waiting for attitudes to change.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2013, 09:02:39 PM »
Soon. Very soon, people who could make a difference in Jacksonville are going to realize that it might be easier to pull up and move to where things are heading in the right direction than to continue to pour money and effort down a proverbial rathole while waiting for attitudes to change.

Unfortunately, as far as people realizing it's easier to pull up, move or invest elsewhere, we may already be there.  We, as a community, will have to decide if we want this to accelerate or if we want to chart a different path.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Tacachale

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2013, 10:13:08 PM »
^In some ways we're definitely already there. Our success will depend on attracting and keeping skilled, educated people, and stuff like this just makes it all the harder to keep the ones we've got and attract new ones from elsewhere. The message the city council is sending with this stuff is just deplorable: they're saying that Jacksonville doesn't value diversity, tolerance, or human rights. Hardly the right message to attract young, educated people. Jacksonville has so much going for it, why does our government feel the need to cut our feet out from under us?
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2013, 10:18:13 PM »
I returned to J-ville last night, after spending three days at a large gathering of venture capital entities who invest billions (that's dollars, with a "b") in partnership with municipalities around the US and Canada. I attended the event simply as an observer, but the greater purpose was essentially a"speed-dating" event between 36 progressive cities from four time zones, and an undetermined number of investors who were interested in hearing about prospective urban redevelopment projects where they might put those aforementioned billions of private capital.

It was made clear by the investors I spoke to that they have plenty of pent-up demand (money) for investment opportunities and also clear that the public sector need for private capital and management capacity is significant. It is an investors market out there. Some cities that were present made connections that I am sure will result in projects ranging from convention hotels to schools, to jails, to City Hall buildings and residential lofts. Our football conference rival, Indianapolis, presented a plan so sophisticated it bordered on unbelievable. As was the price tag that involved over $100 million in committed private capital investment, dead in the center of their CBD.

I didn't hear anyone say it directly, but the message came through to me loud and clear. Private venture capitalists don't have any time at all to waste on backwater politics. They are looking for demonstrable evidence from local governments that their investments are safe from political intolerance, bigotry, racism and backroom gatekeeping that might adversely affect their return on investment. They recognize that every successful urban redevelopment effort in this country is founded on a tolerance of diversity, GLBTG urban pioneers, the arts culture, and the food and entertainment industries, as well as embracing youthful entrepreneurs who cater to a different crowd.

Small wonder that college towns like Austin and Tempe rank so high in economic indicators in this fiscal climate, and small wonder that private venture capital is flowing to those "progressive" cities while avoiding "like the plague" those cities with cultures of backwardness.

It is sadly ironic that as much rhetoric as we feed ourselves about the good things we want to happen in this town, that we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot on the public national stage.

Truth! Question, Was there no one representing Jacksonville at the gathering?
Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
    • Modern Cities
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2013, 11:03:47 PM »
^In some ways we're definitely already there. Our success will depend on attracting and keeping skilled, educated people, and stuff like this just makes it all the harder to keep the ones we've got and attract new ones from elsewhere. The message the city council is sending with this stuff is just deplorable: they're saying that Jacksonville doesn't value diversity, tolerance, or human rights. Hardly the right message to attract young, educated people. Jacksonville has so much going for it, why does our government feel the need to cut our feet out from under us?

To a degree, as a group, I'm not sure our elected leaders fully recognize the world around us is changing and what that means for our community's future economically.  It may take a new generation of residents to take the reins and steer Jacksonville in the right direction.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.” - Muhammad Ali

Cheshire Cat

« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2013, 11:19:57 PM »

To a degree, as a group, I'm not sure our elected leaders fully recognize the world around us is changing and what that means for our community's future economically.  It may take a new generation of residents to take the reins and steer Jacksonville in the right direction.

They don't understand and some just don't care.   You are right about the new generation though.  Through them we will see a greater shift in attitudes and views.  Of course when you are my age, you Ennis and so many other young professionals in your age group are that new generation.  The good thing is that you know that and are working for change.

Diane Melendez
We're all mad here!

BoldBoyOfTheSouth

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2014, 10:24:16 AM »
I recently moved into District 14 and still getting my political bearings. How pro-gay equality is Jim Love?  I hear from some people that he has a terrible record on GLBT equality issues and from others he's a moderate on the issues but will sell us out.

I want to make a very informed decision in the next election and would like to understand from a variety of people & viewpoints.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:58:25 PM by BoldBoyOfTheSouth »