Sunday, August 31, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Jim Bailey: Enough is Enough.  (Read 4556 times)

Tacachale

Re: Jim Bailey: Enough is Enough.
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2013, 10:13:08 PM »
^In some ways we're definitely already there. Our success will depend on attracting and keeping skilled, educated people, and stuff like this just makes it all the harder to keep the ones we've got and attract new ones from elsewhere. The message the city council is sending with this stuff is just deplorable: they're saying that Jacksonville doesn't value diversity, tolerance, or human rights. Hardly the right message to attract young, educated people. Jacksonville has so much going for it, why does our government feel the need to cut our feet out from under us?
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

Cheshire Cat

• Diane Melendez is Cheshire Cat
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2013, 10:18:13 PM »
I returned to J-ville last night, after spending three days at a large gathering of venture capital entities who invest billions (that's dollars, with a "b") in partnership with municipalities around the US and Canada. I attended the event simply as an observer, but the greater purpose was essentially a"speed-dating" event between 36 progressive cities from four time zones, and an undetermined number of investors who were interested in hearing about prospective urban redevelopment projects where they might put those aforementioned billions of private capital.

It was made clear by the investors I spoke to that they have plenty of pent-up demand (money) for investment opportunities and also clear that the public sector need for private capital and management capacity is significant. It is an investors market out there. Some cities that were present made connections that I am sure will result in projects ranging from convention hotels to schools, to jails, to City Hall buildings and residential lofts. Our football conference rival, Indianapolis, presented a plan so sophisticated it bordered on unbelievable. As was the price tag that involved over $100 million in committed private capital investment, dead in the center of their CBD.

I didn't hear anyone say it directly, but the message came through to me loud and clear. Private venture capitalists don't have any time at all to waste on backwater politics. They are looking for demonstrable evidence from local governments that their investments are safe from political intolerance, bigotry, racism and backroom gatekeeping that might adversely affect their return on investment. They recognize that every successful urban redevelopment effort in this country is founded on a tolerance of diversity, GLBTG urban pioneers, the arts culture, and the food and entertainment industries, as well as embracing youthful entrepreneurs who cater to a different crowd.

Small wonder that college towns like Austin and Tempe rank so high in economic indicators in this fiscal climate, and small wonder that private venture capital is flowing to those "progressive" cities while avoiding "like the plague" those cities with cultures of backwardness.

It is sadly ironic that as much rhetoric as we feed ourselves about the good things we want to happen in this town, that we continue to shoot ourselves in the foot on the public national stage.

Soon. Very soon, people who could make a difference in Jacksonville are going to realize that it might be easier to pull up and move to where things are heading in the right direction than to continue to pour money and effort down a proverbial rathole while waiting for attitudes to change.

Truth! Question, Was there no one representing Jacksonville at the gathering?
Diane Melendez

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2013, 11:03:47 PM »
^In some ways we're definitely already there. Our success will depend on attracting and keeping skilled, educated people, and stuff like this just makes it all the harder to keep the ones we've got and attract new ones from elsewhere. The message the city council is sending with this stuff is just deplorable: they're saying that Jacksonville doesn't value diversity, tolerance, or human rights. Hardly the right message to attract young, educated people. Jacksonville has so much going for it, why does our government feel the need to cut our feet out from under us?

To a degree, as a group, I'm not sure our elected leaders fully recognize the world around us is changing and what that means for our community's future economically.  It may take a new generation of residents to take the reins and steer Jacksonville in the right direction.

Cheshire Cat

• Diane Melendez is Cheshire Cat
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2013, 11:19:57 PM »

To a degree, as a group, I'm not sure our elected leaders fully recognize the world around us is changing and what that means for our community's future economically.  It may take a new generation of residents to take the reins and steer Jacksonville in the right direction.

They don't understand and some just don't care.   You are right about the new generation though.  Through them we will see a greater shift in attitudes and views.  Of course when you are my age, you Ennis and so many other young professionals in your age group are that new generation.  The good thing is that you know that and are working for change.

Diane Melendez

BoldBoyOfTheSouth

« Reply #34 on: January 16, 2014, 10:24:16 AM »
I recently moved into District 14 and still getting my political bearings. How pro-gay equality is Jim Love?  I hear from some people that he has a terrible record on GLBT equality issues and from others he's a moderate on the issues but will sell us out.

I want to make a very informed decision in the next election and would like to understand from a variety of people & viewpoints.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 12:58:25 PM by BoldBoyOfTheSouth »

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #35 on: January 16, 2014, 10:49:51 AM »
I recently moved into District 14 and still getting my political bearings. How pro-gay equality is Jim Love?  I hear from some people that he has a terrible record on GLBT equality issues and from others he's a moderat on the issues but will sell us out.

I want to make a very informed decision in the next election and would like to understand from a variety of people & viewpoints.

the gayest district in the city voted Jim Love into office--narrowly beating an extremely qualified opponent, Jill Dame, only to have him vote against the Human Rights Ordinance.  He was later patted on the head with a special introduction to the congregation of the largest baptist church in the city for voting against his constituents.

He also helped engineer zoning changes designed to shut down new businesses in riverside, since a couple of the anti business activists at RAP (still a great organization) couldn't legally bully new business owners without them.

I was one of the people supporting Jim in the last election.  I will not be in the next one.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 10:53:51 AM by stephendare »
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

BoldBoyOfTheSouth

« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2014, 12:56:18 PM »
Jim Love seems like a horrid person.

bill

« Reply #37 on: January 16, 2014, 01:07:51 PM »
Let me get this straight, youu supported Love? A anti business bully who voted against your GL ordinance. While there was an "extremely qualified opponent"?

I knew you where bad at this but WOW. Too funny.   

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2014, 02:00:48 PM »
Let me get this straight, youu supported Love? A anti business bully who voted against your GL ordinance. While there was an "extremely qualified opponent"?

I knew you where bad at this but WOW. Too funny.   

Bill, while i dont normally engage old bigots, i do have to point out that you are as wrong about things as you usually are.

Yes, i supported Love.  I am a republican after all, and given no egregious reasons not to support my party's candidate, he deserved my consideration for that reason.

Additionally, his son was an engaged member of the forums and vouched for his father's intentions.

I had no previous affiliation for Jill Dame, and there was no incumbent of any type in the race.

We only had their stated words to go on.

Jim talked a good game, that he has failed (in my opinion) to back up.

That is what the democratic process is for, to be honest, and there is no shame in allowing people a chance to prove themselves.  He has had that chance and so far, he has proven that he is a better insurance salesman than a councilman, in my opinion, and given a better choice in the next election (which I believe there will be) I will gladly support them.

I do want to point out that the HRO was not my initiative, nor was i involved in any way with the campaign to draft or pass it.  The primary person who was involved in that effort was Jimmy Midyette.  I was not asked to help or to participate in that campaign, and literally had no connection to it except to cover it for metrojacksonville.

However, that said, it seems fairly counterproductive for a councilperson to vote against the recognition of equal rights for gays, lesbians, transgendered and bisexual people when his district is the largest GLBT friendly community in the city.

But when you consider the votes that he cast to set aside funding for transit and mobility issues exactly when his district is facing RAP driven controversy over parking issues that would be largely solved by the very transit funding he voted against, then one has to wonder exactly who in riverside avondale he is adequately representing.

In my mind, honoring his customer base by voting with them to use city policy to stomp on young business developers is the final nail in the coffin of reasons to support Jim Love for council.

He doesnt think 'the gays' deserve equality, he doesnt think his neighborhood deserves mobility funding to solve its parking issues, and he doesnt represent the young businesses whose investment has driven the high quality of life available in the neighborhood.

So exactly who, besides Kay Ehas, is Jim Love representing?

And while Kay Ehas is fabulous in her own way, she just doesn't rise to the level of an entire constituency---no offense to the dynamic force of nature whose above mentioned support is no doubt appreciated by (and will be valuable to) the candidate. ;)

And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

bill

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2014, 03:20:22 PM »
Translation-Please excuse the rambling diatribe, as that is what I do when it has been demonstrated to all what a boob I am. This is what happens when you make every decision devoid of reason and common sense. Even though I have been on the wrong side of literally everything, keep in mind that I am the smartest guy in every room I walk into. Your welcome for being able to be on the same planet as me. Stevie

Stephen

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2014, 03:32:31 PM »
I am certainly not voting for Jim Love but I am also worrying about who will be running against him...sometimes the Devil you know is better

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2014, 04:09:06 PM »
Translation-Please excuse the rambling diatribe, as that is what I do when it has been demonstrated to all what a boob I am. This is what happens when you make every decision devoid of reason and common sense. Even though I have been on the wrong side of literally everything, keep in mind that I am the smartest guy in every room I walk into. Your welcome for being able to be on the same planet as me. Stevie

keep on trucking dude. None of us will try and lay any boogie woogie on you, the king of rock and roll.

theduvalprogressive

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2014, 04:38:17 PM »
It's important to demand accountability from people running from office before and after they're elected. Jim Love saw an exploitable constituency, and took advantage of it. He was a mistake, as was Alvin Brown, and now it is time in the up and coming council elections to make a Human Rights Ordinance and important platform issue for all candidates. It is through attrition those of us fighting to improve social and economic liberty for people will eventually get this through. It is also important for activists to reach through traditional power structures, and their complacent leadership, and touch the people they claim they represent. The one thing killing the prospect of the city passing a Human Rights Ordinance are the egos of a few folks in leadership roles.
Robert Montgomerie

BoldBoyOfTheSouth

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2014, 04:42:47 PM »
I'm ready to get involved for equality and making our elected officials accountable.

Stephen

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2014, 05:07:37 PM »
Me too Bold...I'll go to meetings and ask any candidates running in my district { 14 } if they are for Equal Rights for all of the citizens of Jacksonville, I'm still upset I too was suckered in by Mayor Brown.