Follow Us

Wednesday, April 16, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Quiznos and Adams Street Deli Want Food Trucks Out of Downtown  (Read 3022 times)

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
Re: Quiznos and Adams Street Deli Want Food Trucks Out of Downtown
« Reply #30 on: February 21, 2013, 02:47:11 PM »
A Jax Daily Record article on this issue:

Groups are lining up in support of and opposition to food trucks, the trend that's become a part of Downtown dining.
The mobile cuisine vendors offer additional menu options and convenience for urban workers and residents and have been a rapidly growing trend in Jacksonville and across the country.

Yet, for some people, the vendors pose a threat to established businesses in the competition for market share.

Without highlighting specific arguments for or against the concept and being cognizant that there eventually might be legislation introduced concerning the matter, here's a look at where the City, Downtown Vision Inc. and JAX Chamber stand on the issue.

full article: http://www.jaxdailyrecord.com/downtowntoday.php?dt_date=2013-02-21

Ralph W

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2013, 04:00:11 PM »
Tuesday, the Bailiff stood before at least 300 potential jurors and announced that there were very limited venues to serve lunch, mentioning the snack bar/restaurant in the courthouse as not up to speed and then the food truck a block away at Jefferson.

If the jurors wanted to take the shuttle back to their cars and then go somewhere for lunch they should be prepared to spend 20 minutes going and 20 minutes returning, leaving very little time for lunch.

Final option was to trek over by Hemming Plaza for fast food. No mention of Adams Street Deli, 4 blocks away from the courthouse or Quizno's. He did call out Subway, however.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2013, 04:01:36 PM »
SD & PJE, why are you two even arguing about parking?

I happen to be someone who has to drive into downtown to eat at lunch as well, and the only place that I can be sure of finding a parking spot is Chomp Chomp.   There's rarely any available parking at OTF.  Chamblin's.... fuh-get-a-about it.  Most of the time I just plan on parking on either Duval or Church and making the whole 2 block walk.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2013, 05:30:06 PM »
I normally park on Julia Street for short downtown trips.  I've never driven down that street and have not been able to find a space within a block or two walk of Hemming.  I refuse to pay for off-street parking in downtown on the principle of it, so if I'm making a day of it, I park on Laura, north of State (and walk...it doesn't take that long...really) or near the Kings Avenue Station and take the skyway in.

PeeJayEss

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2013, 02:15:16 PM »
PeeJay. It is clear to anyone who reads this that you have never been downtown during lunch in your entire life.

Having owned a business in the same building as subway, let met lightly suggest that you don't seem to know what you are talking about.

On Hogan Street, the spots are 15 minute parking, and all nine of them are shared in common with the 11 businesses that line that block.  Across the street on monroe you cannot park because it is the United States Federal Court House, There are four other spots on the same side of the street.

;D The Quizno's owner will have owned a business in a building downtown, too, once the franchise closes. Doesn't mean they have any expertise in downtown policy or business ownership. Still don't see the connection between the failing of this business, which is connected to a parking garage, and parking while others in similar or worse locations are doing fine and thriving. Perhaps demographically, only super-lazy people go to Quiznos? Of course, that doesn't work when you consider Subway in a worse location.

NRW: 2 block walk?!? In downtown? So a 2 block walk is the most you ever have to make in downtown Jacksonville? That is not a parking issue.
And rarely parking at On the Fly? It is in an empty parking lot, with street parking out front!

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2013, 03:11:48 PM »
NRW: 2 block walk?!? In downtown? So a 2 block walk is the most you ever have to make in downtown Jacksonville? That is not a parking issue.
And rarely parking at On the Fly? It is in an empty parking lot, with street parking out front!

I re-read my post and realized I wasn't very clear. and the 'whole 2 block walk' was sarcasm.  My point was that the parking outside of OTF is probably worse than the parking around Quizno's.  The competitive advantage that OTF has is higher quality food.

Oh yeah, and OTF didn't roll out an advertising campaign using singing rats and a talking oven that molests employees.   8)

Also...

I'm guessing that you've never been to OTF, or you would have known that you can't use the parking lot that they're set up in and the street is normally full of cars for courthouse business.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

PeeJayEss

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2013, 05:01:04 PM »

I re-read my post and realized I wasn't very clear. and the 'whole 2 block walk' was sarcasm.  My point was that the parking outside of OTF is probably worse than the parking around Quizno's.  The competitive advantage that OTF has is higher quality food.

Oh yeah, and OTF didn't roll out an advertising campaign using singing rats and a talking oven that molests employees.   8)

Also...

I'm guessing that you've never been to OTF, or you would have known that you can't use the parking lot that they're set up in and the street is normally full of cars for courthouse business.

Such assumptions! Never been to OTF, never eaten downtown. What is the world coming to?
Touche. I did not realize that was monthly parking, but perhaps that is just because it has always been so easy to find parking. Perhaps the problem is I am super lucky.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2013, 09:24:26 PM »
Perhaps the problem is I am super lucky.

That would be a fantastic problem to have.  Good on ya'.   ;D
-Douglas Adams

simms3

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2013, 10:51:23 PM »
I don't think I've ever been in a city where food trucks as a concept aren't debated.  Even in the most progressive of cities where food trucks have been around before the term "food truck" was even coined ~5 years ago, there have been businesses weary of the lax regulation and the increased mobile competition.  This is not new.

I think city policy should balance the needs of the bricks and mortar businesses paying rent and taxes and having to deal with stricter regulations, against the wishes of people who desire more food options and vibrancy/convenience downtown.  Everyone can and should co-exist harmoniously.

JHAT76

« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2013, 07:54:03 AM »

Oh yeah, and OTF didn't roll out an advertising campaign using singing rats and a talking oven that molests employees. 8)

Also...

Without getting into the real discussion here.  The Quizno's oven commercial is one of my all time favorites.  Not that it makes me want Quizno's but I laugh everytime I watch it.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2013, 09:38:03 AM »
I think city policy should balance the needs of the bricks and mortar businesses paying rent and taxes and having to deal with stricter regulations

Care to elaborate?  The trucks have the same inspections as the B&Ms.

The Quizno's oven commercial is one of my all time favorites.

Why not?

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/7LQpRQh2KSQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/7LQpRQh2KSQ</a>
-Douglas Adams

Captain Zissou

« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2013, 10:48:22 AM »
PeeJay. It is clear to anyone who reads this that you have never been downtown during lunch in your entire life.

As a frequent co-diner downtown with PeeJay, I can say that my experience is more similar to his than what you describe, Stephen Dare.  I have used those 15 minute spaces multiple times for a quick lunch at the Desert Rider Sandwich Shop or Benny's under Forsyth street.  Parking on Ocean is almost always open when I am going to Casa Dora or Burrito Gallery.  I have parked on Adams more than once to go to Chomp Chomp and I have also used Adams to go to BG.  I usually have more trouble parking on Hendricks when I go to High Tide than when I go to any of the places I just listed downtown.  I have not been to OTF since the formal opening of the courthouse, but I ate there 2 or 3 times before the opening and never had a problem.

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2013, 11:22:36 AM »
I never have a problem finding parking downtown at lunchtime. I just know to park a few blocks away from my destination and I am done. Always seems to be spots open on Ocean St, Forsyth near Ocean. East Adams St near Chomp Chomp.

edjax

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2013, 11:41:46 AM »
I have Downtown for lunch a couple of times in the past two weeks and was able to park within two blocks. Seems like someone just wants to park right out front.  Hmmm. How suburban auto centric.

fieldafm

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2013, 01:54:56 PM »
I think city policy should balance the needs of the bricks and mortar businesses paying rent and taxes and having to deal with stricter regulations

Care to elaborate?  The trucks have the same inspections as the B&Ms.

[/quote]

And, downtown food trucks pay rent (private propery owner, the City or DVI).