Author Topic: Security/Anti Theft Devices  (Read 572 times)

SpringFizzle

Security/Anti Theft Devices
« on: February 17, 2013, 08:00:15 PM »

After experiencing my fourth burglary since 2005, it's finally time to get serious about prevention. There have been a few discussions on this and other forums regarding this topic. I'd like to get input from anyone who has installed alarm/monitoring systems.

1. A/C unit protection
       -Cages? Recommended manufacturer?

2. Non-monitored alarm system
       -I want a modular system that allows me to choose motion sensors, IR sensors,  cameras, data recording, sirens, etc
       - wireless
       -email alerts
       -webaccess to video feeds

What cameras have you tried? What works? What doesn't?

Any local stores specializing in DIY home security?

movedsouth

• Preservation SOS
Re: Security/Anti Theft Devices
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2013, 11:13:05 PM »
First of all: Do you have a dog? I am living in Springfield about as long as you and haven't had a burglary (bikes stolen from the porch, but even that stopped about 3 years ago).

AC cages: check with "sheclown" here at metrojax. They make cages and they are located in Springfield so they know what works / doesn't work around here.

Cameras: If you just want to PREVENT burglaries, fake cameras work about as well as real once. If you want actual footage, you got a good number of options. For a start: Anyone of the "DVR+x cameras" systems will work ok as long as you go wired (QModo, SVAT are some of the brands, but they are all identical). Don't expect decent images at night. If you want better stuff, and like to geek out: Anything by Axis will get you great images (but at a price) and use the open source software "zoneminder" as a recorder. Be aware that even with expensive cameras you will likely not get sufficient footage to find/convict someone. in particular at night.

Sensors and such: Best to integrate with home automation. Go with an Insteon based system (maybe z-wave, but it is newer). Avoid X-10. Sensors will run you around $40 a piece. But then you can turn on lights, sound alarms, send e-mails and what not.

RiversideLoki

• What do you mean we can't turn left here?
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 09:57:25 AM »
We've been really digging on these Ubiquiti Airvision cameras around the office. Cheap and lots of features. Great images as well. They will email you events, and are easier to manage than the Axis cams.
Find Jacksonville on Reddit: http://www.reddit.com/r/jacksonville!

Pinky

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2013, 10:02:26 PM »
Copeland Welding makes AC cages.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2013, 10:19:46 PM »
I guess it totally depends on what you're trying to secure....

This hasn't failed me yet.   8)
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams