Author Topic: Neighborhoods: Springfield Warehouse District  (Read 1802 times)

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville
Re: Neighborhoods: Springfield Warehouse District
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 12:51:24 PM »

Ock and I have explored this site thoroughly.  There is an old structure out in the woods that Ock suspects was part of the railroad.
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 12:53:48 PM »
Some more.  This district appeared to be dominated by bakery and automobile industries.  Several tire/rubber companies from the Midwest also had operations adjacent to the Chevrolet and Studebaker operations.  The building mentioned as Southern Hardware & Bicycle in the article was originally BF Goodrich.

Ward Baking Company's site is now used as parking for Swisher employees.  In the 1960s, Ward was indicted for violating the Sherman Act by rigging bids and price fixing the government for baked goods headed to Jacksonville's naval operations. 

https://bulk.resource.org/courts.gov/c/US/376/376.US.327.101.html

Here's Ward and Pic N' Save (National Drug) in 1965.

Ward Baking in 1927.

Today, everything east of Walnut Street is Swisher's plant.  Look how small Swisher's operation was in 1965.  Their old building, which is still there today, contained multiple floors in a building squeezed between Ionia and the railroad.

The other major bakery was the Merita bread plant at 11th & Market.  Although they demolished the old plant after they built a modern facility at Imeson, Hostess continued to maintain their fleet operations here until the recent shutdown.  Here is the plant in 1927.

Merita (American Bakeries) in 1965.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 12:56:58 PM by thelakelander »

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 01:49:47 PM »
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 02:06:35 PM »
hmm.  in doing the research it seems like this George P. Walker is an early ancestor of our regrettable past president, George Bush.  As in his poor father's name:  George Herbert Walker Bush.

mbwright

« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2013, 03:05:37 PM »
Thanks for the research  My wife is closely related to W. S. Dorsey.    He also had a general store around 1905 near Bay st, about where the Omni is now.  Same Dorsey that was also in Gainesville.

MusicMan

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2013, 10:07:41 AM »
For anyone interested, the warehouse located at 2303 Market Street, sight of the former Hutting Sash and Door Company, sold last week for $120,000.  This was one of my favorite buildings in Springfield. I showed it to several prospective buyers. It was in good condition, 57,000 square feet, with mostly original heart pine post and beam construction inside. I personally thought it would have been a perfect sight for Intuition Ale Works because the back of the buidling was two stories high and might have been able to accomodate the taller brewing canisters they use. If anyone knows who bought it please give us some insight as to what the new owner plans for this location.

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2013, 10:15:11 AM »
I'm just hoping they use it.  I ran into a commercial broker earlier this year and he was telling me how valuable the materials in those old warehouses would be if they were demolished and sold off.  He specifically mentioned heart pine and brick.

MusicMan

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2013, 10:27:30 AM »
Yes, I know exactly what you mean. There is a tremendous amount of lumber in there. A ton underneath the floor, too. It sits on huge timbers, I imagine are pine as well.

Debbie Thompson

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2013, 12:46:28 PM »
Oh, no!