Tuesday, September 30, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Streetcars in Jax site  (Read 730 times)

spuwho

Streetcars in Jax site
« on: February 12, 2013, 09:15:04 PM »
I stumbled across this at the JTA website.

I was like, huh?

http://futureplans.jtafla.com/Streetcars/Pages/default.aspx

They even have pictures of Portland Streetcars in there.

In spring, 2008, JTA initiated another planning component of our transit vision by launching a streetcar pre-feasibility study. During the study JTA defined potential streetcar districts, developed district concepts and defined a basic implementation strategy to encourage private/public funding partnerships.

At the study’s completion, it’s been determined that there is both sufficient need and interest to move into the next level with a full streetcar feasibility study.

During the feasibility study, JTA will incorporate an extensive public involvement plan and conduct more analysis in order to determine the most suitable alignments and viable funding sources to implement this system.

The start date for the feasibility study has not yet been determined.

jerry cornwell

Re: Streetcars in Jax site
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2013, 10:02:31 PM »
Sad.
Democracy is TERRIBLE!  But its the best we got!  W.S. Churchill

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2013, 11:02:48 PM »

LOL! You really are the 'new guy' here aren't you?  MJ's team wrote that whole study only to have it cut-and-pasted by the consultants for JTA which then collected a hundred grand for the same.

It was done to shut us up. 'See, we're studying streetcar... now go away and be good boys...'

tufsu1

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2013, 11:50:03 PM »
there are some very positive changes happening at JTA....let's not dwell on the failings of their past.....keep a skeptical eye, but look optimistically to the future.

ricker

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 10:18:23 AM »
^^^
sorry I really have no new info to add, just echoing your realistic outlook.

spuwho

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 11:08:18 AM »

LOL! You really are the 'new guy' here aren't you?  MJ's team wrote that whole study only to have it cut-and-pasted by the consultants for JTA which then collected a hundred grand for the same.

It was done to shut us up. 'See, we're studying streetcar... now go away and be good boys...'

Not sure what constitutes one as "old" on MJ anymore. (30,000 posts perhaps?) I remember you guys complaining about some streetcar proposal with JTA and you getting shouted out by some JTA planner, but I wasn't "in the know" at the time. Call me noob, call me what ever, the fact that the site is still up and viewable to the public is the laugher.

I would have loved to catch a JTA exec at a press conference on it. "Your site says......" and watch the squirms.

urbaknight

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 12:05:35 PM »

Can't you sue the consultants for misrepresenting your ideas and for trying to sabotage our future?

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 04:12:33 PM »

Can't you sue the consultants for misrepresenting your ideas and for trying to sabotage our future?

I wish.

TUFSU1 makes a very good point and I certainly agree with him that it appears JTA is moving in a very positive direction.  The study that was done to shut us up back then, may indeed be the study that redirects the city today.

tufsu1

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 09:06:48 PM »

the consultants didn't misrepresent anything.....the only issue is that nothing has happened since the report was finished 3+ years ago

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 11:45:35 PM »
+ 1980

(Which happens to be the year I introduced the streetcar plan to DDA and the council)