Wednesday, August 27, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Pita Pit plans downtown restaurant  (Read 2035 times)

aubureck

Re: Pita Pit plans downtown restaurant
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2013, 09:41:14 AM »
I'm so excited about this!  I fell in love with the Pita Pit at the beach but I live in Mandarin so I hardly ever get to go there.  That said, this is around the corner from my office!
The Preservationist

blizz01

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2013, 09:52:55 AM »
From Mandarin, there's currently one a bit closer to you in Fleming Island near the movie theater.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2013, 09:59:18 AM »
In all honesty, I had a dream about the downtown Pita Pit last night.  In my dream, however, it was on Laura Street.

It would be great to see them go into the space recently vacated by Snap Fitness in Riverside. 

aubureck

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 08:40:51 AM »
I never go to Fleming Island.  Its a nightmare to drive in Orange Park at anytime of the day.  I would rather drive downtown anyday over Orange Park.  Besides the proposed location of this is two blocks from my office so its perfect.
The Preservationist

ben says

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 09:23:00 AM »
In all honesty, I had a dream about the downtown Pita Pit last night.  In my dream, however, it was on Laura Street.

It would be great to see them go into the space recently vacated by Snap Fitness in Riverside.

!! Agree

PeeJayEss

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2013, 02:36:27 PM »

!! Agree

I'd rather something new and a potential draw to be downtown. The Snap place will fill up just fine, I'm sure. But tenants for downtown, particularly ones that might add to evening vibrancy, do not come by every day.

Captain Zissou

« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2013, 03:12:43 PM »

!! Agree

I'd rather something new and a potential draw to be downtown. The Snap place will fill up just fine, I'm sure. But tenants for downtown, particularly ones that might add to evening vibrancy, do not come by every day.

I meant in addition to the downtown location.  I don't think Pita Pit has a huge draw for outsiders, but rather serves the late-night needs of a neiborhood.  The core can support more than one.

joshuataylor

• Editor
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2013, 03:18:16 PM »
I understand WHY it's being built over that way but not thrilled about it. Living at the Berkman, I don't think I've walked any further than Burrito Gallery for food downtown. Wouldn't that area be DEAD after 5pm and on the weekends?

Mostly dead but not completely. Phoenix Taproom is  around the corner on Forsyth, and a couple of blocks west on Forsyth is Secrets, the old Voodoo/JoAnns building. Who knows? Could be the beginning of a new district?

As a resident of The Metropolitan, I think this is a perfect location. I'm sure the people in CityPlace would feel the same way.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. It would be great if they took the old Poppy Loves Smoke building. Not sure if that's a big enough spot though. Or better yet, what about that space next door to Mark's that's empty. Wasn't a restaurant supposed to go there a long time ago?

There's already a restaurant concept in the planning stages for the Poppy Love Smoke space. Independent to boot, no chains involved.

As for the space next door to Marks, that building is owned by the Insetta family. Jon had planned a rooftop bar in the space, but with Orsay and now Black Sheep, I'm pretty sure he has his hands full at the moment.

urbanlibertarian

• Live and let live.
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2013, 10:31:08 AM »
It would be nice to have a 24/7 breakfast anytime kind of diner on the northbank.
Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes (‘Who watches the watchmen?’)

Jason1904MusicHall

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2013, 01:22:31 PM »
Very good news to hear!  As an 11E resident and business owner downtown, quality food is always welcomed.  Let's hope for some late night hours.

comncense

• Facebook
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2013, 05:31:48 PM »
Thanks for the insight Joshataylor. I'll be interested to see the plans for Poppy Loves Smoke once it gets announced. It's nice to have such great independent restaurants in those 2 blocks of Adams Street.