Sunday, September 21, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: A New Crane For Downtown  (Read 868 times)

Metro Jacksonville

• MetroJacksonville.com
A New Crane For Downtown
« on: February 07, 2013, 08:04:22 AM »
A New Crane For Downtown

Progress on the development of 220 Riverside continues in the installation of a crane at the Brooklyn construction site.

Full Article
http://www.metrojacksonville.com/article/2013-feb-a-new-crane-for-downtown

fsujax

• Teapartysaurus!
Re: A New Crane For Downtown
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2013, 08:08:01 AM »
beautiful! wish we had more.

Jason

• Global Moderator
  • I am the man in the box...
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2013, 09:27:59 AM »
I saw it yesterday and was almost giddy  :)

PeeJayEss

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2013, 10:02:22 AM »
I wish we would just invest some money into building cranes throughout the city. Its a low-cost way to make it look like there is a building boom. Heck, we'd probably fool some developers.

I have no knowledge here, but is a tower crane really necessary for the size of this project? It just seems a bit outsized for a half-a-dozen story building. Of course, the fact that it is there answers my question, so you can consider it rhetorical I suppose.

Dog Walker

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2013, 10:16:17 AM »
A crane like this is a quick and easy way to move materials around a building site without having to leave paths open for big trucks to move around.  I think it means that they intend to build fast.

From the length of that horizontal beam, it looks as if it can reach every corner of the site.
When all else fails hug the dog.

PeeJayEss

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2013, 10:18:30 AM »
A crane like this is a quick and easy way to move materials around a building site without having to leave paths open for big trucks to move around.  I think it means that they intend to build fast.

From the length of that horizontal beam, it looks as if it can reach every corner of the site.

Well that was helpful. Thanks!

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2013, 10:20:02 AM »
PeeJayEss, a similar trick was used in the late 1800's in Central Florida.  The Sanford and St. Petersburg Railway (narrow gauge) was bankrupt and it's owner running from a tar and feather gang, 'arranged' a meeting of northern investors at Oakland, Florida. Strapped for cash, the investors saw one of the busiest railroads in the nation. While they were at the hotel, orders had gone out to the train crews to switch cars around in the yard continuously. The result?  More money flowed to the little railroad, one that would become part of the Atlantic Coast Line.

So put up the cranes and let every investor from the north that passes through town want to 'get in on the action' LOL!

urbaknight

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2013, 04:54:40 PM »
Wasn't there another project like this recently approved on the block to the northwest of 220? If so it needs to get off the ground asap. If the two projects can come up together, it might accelerate the speed of  development. Who knows, maybe the YMCA can sell their portion of land on Riverside Ave right away to a highrise developer!

Seraphs

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2013, 09:05:15 PM »
Almost forgot what one looks like.

JeffreyS

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2013, 10:26:14 PM »
It made me smile the first time I noticed it.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.  Mark Twain