Tuesday, October 21, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: Councilman Clark to sponsor new 3-year Mobility Plan fee moratorium legislation  (Read 15414 times)

Tacachale

If it's the same kid I'm thinking of his name is Hollis. I'm told his dad had wanted to bow out to grab a bite, but Hollis wouldn't go until he'd had his chance to speak to the council.

Future Mayor of Jacksonville, should we be so fortunate.
Do you believe that when the blue jay or another bird sings and the body is trembling, that is a signal that people are coming or something important is about to happen?

thelakelander

• Metro Jacksonville
You can do a lot with $3 mill a year, especially if used for leverage for matching grants. Nevertheless, you can't assume what took place last year will be consistent in the future. The market is already improving, so it will most likely be more this year than it was last. Also, it still appears that most are missing the main purpose of the plan and fee. It guides the design and pattern of development in a way to where it actually begins to pay for itself. It creates a situation where there becomes nodes within the city where people could actually walk to get to a mix of uses within various sections of town. That doesn't cost millions to achieve but it saves taxpayers millions through creating an avenue where we don't subsidize development that doesn't pay for itself.

tufsu1

Glad councilman Clark could take the time out of his busy schedule to miss another meeting.

agreed...the penalty for not showing up for his bill's first reading is that the bill should be thrown out

JeffreyS

You can do a lot with $3 mill a year, especially if used for leverage for matching grants. Nevertheless, you can't assume what took place last year will be consistent in the future. The market is already improving, so it will most likely be more this year than it was last. Also, it still appears that most are missing the main purpose of the plan and fee. It guides the design and pattern of development in a way to where it actually begins to pay for itself. It creates a situation where there becomes nodes within the city where people could actually walk to get to a mix of uses within various sections of town. That doesn't cost millions to achieve but it saves taxpayers millions through creating an avenue where we don't subsidize development that doesn't pay for itself.

Lake you have likely just crafted the basic text of my next round of emails to the council.

Glad councilman Clark could take the time out of his busy schedule to miss another meeting.

agreed...the penalty for not showing up for his bill's first reading is that the bill should be thrown out

Agreed and a snarky remark about this will also be in my emails.
It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.  Mark Twain

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE
Yes that was it.

THE HONOR GOES TO HOLLIS!

I don't know why I forgot it, Hollis is also the name of a tiny town in SW Oklahoma that came up and kicked our A***s every year when my girls we're in high school in OK.

Ocklawaha

• Phd. Ferroequinology
  • Global Moderator
  • Monster of Mobility! Ocklawaha is Robert Mann
    • LIGHT RAIL JACKSONVILLE

Lake, this makes sense to those of us on MJ, but after tonight, with a couple of exceptions the whole idea shoots right over and past their heads. I think we can identify who rode the short bus in Jacksonville, they might understand if you used finger paints.

ricker

so efficiently stated!
Thank you, Mr.Davis!
I'm surprised that I received any good positive responses from any recipients of my tangenty clipped rant!

I will be more direct!

sheclown

Last night was surreal. 

It began with a resolution to honor Bill Killingsworth where we watch all councilmen lavish kudos on him before rolling up their sleeves in an attempt to dismantle his work.

Of course, the hypocrisy around Bill Killingsworth's mobility plan pales in comparison to the Human Rights debacle.   In that regard, the only honest one (many are still claiming this is about the number of people on the commission) is Kimberly Daniels who cries FOUL BALL because no one came to her defense when she was running for council.  She believes her civil rights were violated because she had been a prostitute and that was held against her. 

Oof-da.. 

Hypocrisy lead by ignorance and broadcast live.

The only bright spot last night was CM Brown who introduced a bill which says the city ought to check out the existing buildings before building something new.  Brown had to firmly stand his ground, but the ordinance passed.

Debbie Thompson

Since the council tuned out at some point, try making your points with emails.  Short, concise, with quick bullet points so they'll be read.  Also, the bill will come up again at the next council meeting on the 26th, right? and we can speak to the specific ordinance.  Keep doing your research and making your points.

We stayed last night until about 8:00, and I was struck that of everyone who stood up to speak on the mobility fee moratorium NOT ONE was in favor of it.  Even those who knew it wouldn't solve everything, knew it was a start.  While the suburban developers weren't there last night, they are lobbying the council, you can be sure, so keep up the public pressure.

tufsu1

The only bright spot last night was CM Brown who introduced a bill which says the city ought to check out the existing buildings before building something new.  Brown had to firmly stand his ground, but the ordinance passed.

I had left already...but my understanding is that bill did not pass

Debbie Thompson

I think it passed with the finance amendment, but not the floor amendment.  CM Brown said he would withdraw the floor amendment and go with the finance amendment if that would help.

Dog Walker

Re: Councilman Clark Wants Mobility Fee Moratorium
« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2013, 04:51:25 PM »
Councilman Jim Love will vote against the moratorium.
When all else fails hug the dog.

If_I_Loved_you

Re: Councilman Clark Wants Mobility Fee Moratorium
« Reply #117 on: February 13, 2013, 05:15:19 PM »
Councilman Jim Love will vote against the moratorium.
Good  :D

sheclown

http://www.news4jax.com/news/Bicyclists-upset-about-plan-to-stop-mobility-fee/-/475880/18534722/-/format/rss_2.0/-/n2c0d3/-/index.html

The moratorium would spur development downtown?

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -

A plan to stop collecting a fee has some local bicyclists crying foul.

At Tuesday night's City Council meeting, a bill was introduced that would allow developers to stop paying a special fee for bike lanes and other projects.

Bicyclists parked their bikes in front of City Hall during the meeting in an effort to show council members how important they say funding alternative transportation is.

To spur more development, the city is not requiring builders to pay the special fee, and the plan is to extend that for three more years.

Debbie Thompson

Well, technically, he didn't say downtown.  LOL  And a moratorium certainly helps the kind of development we don't need...more gas guzzling, strip mall wasteland, suburban sprawl on every empty plot of land in the county.  Instead of common sense infill and public transit projects in central Jacksonville, where they are needed.  If you build it, they will come.  :-)

"He has said in the past the reason for this is to spur development."