Tuesday, November 25, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: ARGUS... a video surveillance platform  (Read 3750 times)

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville
Re: ARGUS... a video surveillance platform
« Reply #60 on: January 29, 2013, 03:32:41 PM »

While NRW may not mind people seeing his drunken antics

856.011 Disorderly intoxication.

his occasional body functions,

More than likely.... 856.011 Disorderly intoxication.

and his indiscreet moments,

800.02 Unnatural and lascivious act.  And quite possibly another count of 856.011 Disorderly intoxication.

he is certainly free to make a video recording of himself and mail it off to the department of justice as often as he like.

Since in each case, a law was broken, I suppose I should expect a ticket or a notice to appear - especially knowing that I'm not in an 18th century village and that the government is monitoring the entire city through a video feed.

Had any or all of these 'acts' been done in the privacy of my own home, or anywhere that I would expect the level of privacy to do such things, then I technically wouldn't be breaking any laws and have nothing to fear. 

This is where we seem to differ greatly in our perceptions of the ARGUS.

so would you consider the back yard of your house, completely surrounded by an 8 foot privacy fence to be 'public'?
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #61 on: January 29, 2013, 03:36:55 PM »

800.02 Unnatural and lascivious act.  And quite possibly another count of 856.011 Disorderly intoxication.

he is certainly free to make a video recording of himself and mail it off to the department of justice as often as he like.

Since in each case, a law was broken, I suppose I should expect a ticket or a notice to appear - especially knowing that I'm not in an 18th century village and that the government is monitoring the entire city through a video feed.

Had any or all of these 'acts' been done in the privacy of my own home, or anywhere that I would expect the level of privacy to do such things, then I technically wouldn't be breaking any laws and have nothing to fear. 

so would you consider the back yard of your house, completely surrounded by an 8 foot privacy fence to be 'public'?

Nope.

I guess, even though painful at times, it helps to read all of my posts:

I think this is where our view differs.  Probable cause to view a recording of a city sidewalk?  I don't see it.  I do see a need however that it (a warrant) would be required for recordings taken on private property ie:  rooftops with no public access, backyards with privacy fences or generally anywhere that reasonable privacy would be expected.  I don't think anyone should expect privacy, reasonable or not, when sitting in a public space.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #62 on: January 29, 2013, 03:38:29 PM »

Nope.

I guess, even though painful at times, it helps to read all of my posts:

I think this is where our view differs.  Probable cause to view a recording of a city sidewalk?  I don't see it.  I do see a need however that it (a warrant) would be required for recordings taken on private property ie:  rooftops with no public access, backyards with privacy fences or generally anywhere that reasonable privacy would be expected.  I don't think anyone should expect privacy, reasonable or not, when sitting in a public space.

well then you are wildly mistaken about the usage of the word 'public' and 'private'.

No wonder you have such curious ideas on the subject.
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #63 on: January 29, 2013, 03:44:41 PM »
The word, "public' is not synonymous with the word 'visible'.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #64 on: January 29, 2013, 03:46:01 PM »

well then you are wildly mistaken about the usage of the word 'public' and 'private'.

No wonder you have such curious ideas on the subject.

Please elaborate.

I've made no mistake in my awareness that the camera can see where the general public can not.  I've also made a clear delineation of how those should be handled and that the laws would not need to be changed.

If I am 'reasonably suspected' for committing a crime in public view and retreat to private property (backyard with privacy fence) then a warrant should and could be issued for the available surveillance, as in BT's scenario. 

Again, I have ZERO issue with the camera in the realm of today's function - strictly video.
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2013, 03:57:57 PM »
Just because something is visible doesnt mean that it is considered 'public', meaning owned by or entitled to public usage.

For example, I am sure that you are aware that you cannot take pictures inside most shopping malls, and that they have the right to confiscate your camera until any images that you took are removed?

And you know that you cannot post photos of private citizens on their private property in a public magazine or media source unless they are determined by a court to be a 'public personality'?

right?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 04:04:14 PM by stephendare »

If_I_Loved_you

« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2013, 07:23:53 PM »
Here is a better video on the use of small unmanned aircraft or Spy Drones? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzHx7AxHmOA Now I have no problems with the police using these going after a bad person with a gun. But rules will have to be in place on how law enforcement use's them. So the spy drone can't be used for any reason. Because lets not forget it's not only the police that will be using these?  Mr. and Mrs. John Q. Public will be using these and you can bet the Media will have these in the air also. 8)

Charles Hunter

« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2013, 07:32:01 PM »
How long will this technology be the exclusive purview of the government?  How long before Haliburton or Pinkerton or Farah&Farah have access to ARGUS-2?  How would your significant other appreciate those videos of you and that cute redhead?  Or your boss of you talking to a major competitor? Or YouTube of you sunbathing in the back yard?

What?  Those - especially the last - were illegally obtained?  Well, after your SO has left you and taken you to the divorce cleaners, your boss has fired you, and everyone is laughing at you ... maybe you can win a civil suit.

If_I_Loved_you

« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2013, 07:46:21 PM »
How long will this technology be the exclusive purview of the government?  How long before Haliburton or Pinkerton or Farah&Farah have access to ARGUS-2?  How would your significant other appreciate those videos of you and that cute redhead?  Or your boss of you talking to a major competitor? Or YouTube of you sunbathing in the back yard?

What?  Those - especially the last - were illegally obtained?  Well, after your SO has left you and taken you to the divorce cleaners, your boss has fired you, and everyone is laughing at you ... maybe you can win a civil suit.
See this is the problem and some of the people here on MJ feel it will never get this bad? Lets say you call in sick one day and your employer wants to make sure your at home in bed. It sends out their spy drone and it zips to your address. And your car is pulling out of the driveway. So the spy drone follows you to see if your going to the Doctor? But you head to the beach to surf on your sick day off.  :( And if you live in the great State of Florida the next time you come into work your boss lets you go and they don't have to tell you why do they?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2013, 07:48:54 PM by If_I_Loved_you »

If_I_Loved_you

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2013, 08:14:31 PM »

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2013, 08:22:06 PM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-drones-are-coming-2012-12

Drones can be used for more than just war.

Already, companies like FedEx are counting the days until drones are admitted to standard US airspace. The FAA will officially allow it starting in 2015, but the drones cannot fly higher than 400 feet above the ground and must be at least five miles away from any airport.

FedEx wants to be able to use drones to transport packages, rather than having to rely on passenger planes. That's because passenger planes need to be pressurized, which is expensive, and they also can't fly in formation, which is much more efficient.

Meanwhile, there's a growing community of amateurs who build and fly their own drones. The drones typically have two-foot long wings and weigh about two pounds.

Chris Anderson, former editor in chief at Wired, and co-founder of 3D Robotics and founder of DIY DRONES, is helping lead the charge.

Anderson started DIY DRONES, a social network for people interested in aerial robotics, in 2007. Since launch, DIY DRONES has grown to a community of 33,000 active members who fly drones that they have either been made themselves, or purchased from companies like 3D Robotics.

In ten years, Anderson thinks it won't be uncommon to see drones flying in the air.

Anderson is currently working on a "follow me box," which is basically a phone-sized box you would wear on your belt to summon a droid and have it follow you around with a camera.

For example, if you're a surfer who wants footage of yourself tearing up the waves, you would press a button on your "follow-me box" and the droid would fly out to you, position itself above you, and start shooting. Once the battery gets low, the droid would detect that and land itself on the beach.

People are already using drones to do things like find hikers and skiers in need of rescuing, take aerial imagery of homes and other properties, and survey archaeological sites in Africa.

"What we're doing wasn't possible 10 years ago," Anderson tells Business Insider. "The reason drones are popular now is because smartphones are popular."

What he means is that the creation of smartphones has led to advanced technology, like gyroscopes, accelerometers, armed processors, and GPS, that make it possible to produce cheap, functioning autopilots.

Anderson also compares the rise of personal drones to the rise of the personal computer.

"[Computers are] in a class of technology that previously existed and then people started adding the word personal to it," Anderson says. "The user and the new class of users are what revolutionized the industry, not the computer itself. Democratization of technology is not about technology, it's about who uses it."

Anderson says that by adding the word "personal" to drones, the industry has opened up to a consumer class that will find more interesting ways to use them.

"It's part of a longstanding trend to take technology from the few and give it to the many," Anderson says.
Anderson is now working full-time at 3D Robotics as CEO, after leaving his position at Wired last month. Shortly after he made the switch, 3D Robotics raised $5 million from True Ventures and O'Reilly Alpha Tech Ventures.
By the end of January, Anderson plans to pivot the company from DIY to plug-and-play, where all of the drones come ready to fly.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-drones-are-coming-2012-12#ixzz2JPwuEiDn

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2013, 08:25:03 PM »
http://diydrones.com

Yeah. Its time to get a handle on this stuff immediately.

Its not really much different from forcing google maps street view to block out your license plate before posting the images. of your car.

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2013, 08:37:14 PM »
See this is the problem and some of the people here on MJ feel it will never get this bad?

Then there are those of us who don't doubt that it can and will be used in nefarious ways. 

There are also those of us who refrain from wearing out tinfoil hats outside.

There are also those of us who don't check The Weather Channel before leaving the house.

There are also those of us who still think that the glass is half-full - even if it's contents have spoiled.

And finally, there are those of us who realize it's not the 'rifle' that's high powered, it's the damn ammo used in it.
-Douglas Adams

BridgeTroll

• Global Moderator
  • The average person thinks he isnt
    • London Bridge Pub
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2013, 07:42:23 AM »
http://www.businessinsider.com/the-drones-are-coming-2012-12

Drones can be used for more than just war.

Already, companies like FedEx are counting the days until drones are admitted to standard US airspace. The FAA will officially allow it starting in 2015, but the drones cannot fly higher than 400 feet above the ground and must be at least five miles away from any airport.

FedEx wants to be able to use drones to transport packages, rather than having to rely on passenger planes. That's because passenger planes need to be pressurized, which is expensive, and they also can't fly in formation, which is much more efficient.

Meanwhile, there's a growing community of amateurs who build and fly their own drones. The drones typically have two-foot long wings and weigh about two pounds.

Chris Anderson, former editor in chief at Wired, and co-founder of 3D Robotics and founder of DIY DRONES, is helping lead the charge.

Anderson started DIY DRONES, a social network for people interested in aerial robotics, in 2007. Since launch, DIY DRONES has grown to a community of 33,000 active members who fly drones that they have either been made themselves, or purchased from companies like 3D Robotics.

In ten years, Anderson thinks it won't be uncommon to see drones flying in the air.

Anderson is currently working on a "follow me box," which is basically a phone-sized box you would wear on your belt to summon a droid and have it follow you around with a camera.

For example, if you're a surfer who wants footage of yourself tearing up the waves, you would press a button on your "follow-me box" and the droid would fly out to you, position itself above you, and start shooting. Once the battery gets low, the droid would detect that and land itself on the beach.

People are already using drones to do things like find hikers and skiers in need of rescuing, take aerial imagery of homes and other properties, and survey archaeological sites in Africa.

"What we're doing wasn't possible 10 years ago," Anderson tells Business Insider. "The reason drones are popular now is because smartphones are popular."

What he means is that the creation of smartphones has led to advanced technology, like gyroscopes, accelerometers, armed processors, and GPS, that make it possible to produce cheap, functioning autopilots.

Anderson also compares the rise of personal drones to the rise of the personal computer.

"[Computers are] in a class of technology that previously existed and then people started adding the word personal to it," Anderson says. "The user and the new class of users are what revolutionized the industry, not the computer itself. Democratization of technology is not about technology, it's about who uses it."

Anderson says that by adding the word "personal" to drones, the industry has opened up to a consumer class that will find more interesting ways to use them.

"It's part of a longstanding trend to take technology from the few and give it to the many," Anderson says.
Anderson is now working full-time at 3D Robotics as CEO, after leaving his position at Wired last month. Shortly after he made the switch, 3D Robotics raised $5 million from True Ventures and O'Reilly Alpha Tech Ventures.
By the end of January, Anderson plans to pivot the company from DIY to plug-and-play, where all of the drones come ready to fly.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/the-drones-are-coming-2012-12#ixzz2JPwuEiDn

Good article Stephen.  This seems to show the technology is coming... if not already here.  Time to figure out the rules for which they will be used.  From military applications... to law enforcement, to search and rescue, firefighting, to DIY hobbyists.  BTW... radio controlled aircraft have been around for years.
In a boat at sea one of the men began to bore a hole in the bottom of the boat. On being remonstrating with, he answered, "I am only boring under my own seat." "Yes," said his companions, "but when the sea rushes in we shall all be drowned with you."

Dog Walker

« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2013, 03:51:33 PM »
Hmmm....lower than 400'?  12 gauge with buckshot ought to do. 
When all else fails hug the dog.