Follow Us

Saturday, April 19, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: 225 Laura Street: A Downtown Core Renovation Project  (Read 3309 times)

ronchamblin

Re: 225 Laura Street: A Downtown Core Renovation Project
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2013, 12:15:45 AM »
Actually Stephen, the idea occured to me that you might like to do a consulting project, for pay of course, and somewhat informal, concerning the proposed restaurant next door.  If you thought you might, you could take a little time to think about it, as if it was your building, and your restaurant.  In other words, you could decide what "you" would do in my position.

This would be valuable to me, as, surely you've the experience, and being in the area longer than me, you could "feel" the enviroment and arrive, via gut input, at an opinion as to what type of operation would be best for the location.

Take some time to think about it; that is, if you would, for reasonable compensation, like to offer advice, and a concept, as if "you" were to proceed with it.

"Chuck Norris once ripped a man in half just to see what he had for lunch."     
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 12:17:32 AM by ronchamblin »

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2013, 12:22:30 AM »
Actually Stephen, the idea occured to me that you might like to do a consulting project, for pay of course, and somewhat informal, concerning the proposed restaurant next door.  If you thought you might, you could take a little time to think about it, as if it was your building, and your restaurant.  In other words, you could decide what "you" would do in my position.

This would be valuable to me, as, surely you've the experience, and being in the area longer than me, you could "feel" the enviroment and arrive, via gut input, at an opinion as to what type of operation would be best for the location.

Take some time to think about it; that is, if you would, for reasonable compensation, like to offer advice, and a concept, as if "you" were to proceed with it.

Thanks for the offer, Ron, but I made up my mind to stick with publishing for the time being.

The city is full of smart competent people though.  Im sure you will find someone.  Especially within your time frame. ;)
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

Pinky

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2013, 12:26:25 AM »
Love the restaurant idea, although I'd ditch the in-store coffee counter and replace the in-store tables with couches and comfy reading stuff.  If folks want food they can run right next door and either bring food back or eat there.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 12:28:24 AM by Pinky »

ronchamblin

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2013, 12:35:21 AM »

Thanks for the offer, Ron, but I made up my mind to stick with publishing for the time being.

The city is full of smart competent people though.  Im sure you will find someone.  Especially within your time frame. ;)

Well....... okay..... I was thinking of only $3,000 or $4,000 in any case..... just for informal input... a walk through... ideas etc.  But..... okay.... I'll look elsewhere.  Thanks for considering.

"Never use the phrase.... eat my heart out.... around Chuck Norris.  He will."

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2013, 12:37:25 AM »

Well....... okay..... I was thinking of only $3,000 or $4,000 in any case..... just for informal input... a walk through... ideas etc.  But..... okay.... I'll look elsewhere.  Thanks for considering.

"Never use the phrase.... eat my heart out.... around Chuck Norris.  He will."

no problem.  Good luck!

If you can't find anyone over the next couple of years let me know.  I can help you find someone!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 12:40:58 AM by stephendare »
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

ronchamblin

« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2013, 12:57:28 AM »
Love the restaurant idea, although I'd ditch the in-store coffee counter and replace the in-store tables with couches and comfy reading stuff.  If folks want food they can run right next door and either bring food back or eat there.

Thanks Pinky.  Occasionally someone will mention the soft chair idea.  This takes more room.  And, as you say, it could be accomplished if the smaller cafe was closed.  Still thinking about this option.  But....yes, the soft chairs would be an improvement.

PeeJayEss

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2013, 08:29:53 AM »
If I was making a dream restaurant, I would just find the Chomp Chomp guys (Ian, Mark, John), throws as much money as I could afford at them, and try to corrupt them into doing Chomp Chomp on a larger scale, on the bottom floor of 225.

KPD

« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2013, 10:33:20 AM »
The issue of Dwell that I told you about yesterday is September 2009 and the article is called Hoagie's Heroes. This is the link: http://www.dwell.com/magazine/city-life. I hope this gives you some ideas!

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2013, 04:49:43 PM »
Like you and your project, Ron.

Because he can.

Painting Bruce Lee Using Kung Fu
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

ronchamblin

« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2013, 10:03:19 PM »
N-R Westsider  :).  KPD, the article in Dwell...... the building is very close in appearance to 225 Laura.  The article gave me some ideas about avoiding expensive modern materials and methods when  possible, keeping whenever practicle, any older aspects of the building intact.  On the sides, the brick goes back only about twenty feet or so, a process perhaps common in those days.  I suppose they figured.. when the buildings are so close, why worry about the appearance of the hidden sides.

The feedback and thoughts about the building cause me to become anxious to start the work.  Won't be long now. I must buy a dump-trailor for the cleanout and early demo, one with six-foot high sides, about 15 feet long.  The dumping ability allows one to simply drive to a county dump, such as Trail Ridge (?), the one just off 301, near Baldwin, and dump the stuff.  It takes much too long to unload a standard fixed trailer.  We will either build or buy some kind of chute, placing it between one of the windows and the trailer.  All kinds of "stuff" is in the building, and much to discard.  We will keep the cast iron tubs however, and hopefully use them in the apartments. 

Onward.

"Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting implies the possibility of failure.  Chuch Norris goes killing."