Monday, September 22, 2014
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Join Metro Jacksonville and get in on the conversation today!Already have an account?  Sign In

Author Topic: 225 Laura Street: A Downtown Core Renovation Project  (Read 5118 times)

ronchamblin

Re: 225 Laura Street: A Downtown Core Renovation Project
« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2013, 12:15:45 AM »
Actually Stephen, the idea occured to me that you might like to do a consulting project, for pay of course, and somewhat informal, concerning the proposed restaurant next door.  If you thought you might, you could take a little time to think about it, as if it was your building, and your restaurant.  In other words, you could decide what "you" would do in my position.

This would be valuable to me, as, surely you've the experience, and being in the area longer than me, you could "feel" the enviroment and arrive, via gut input, at an opinion as to what type of operation would be best for the location.

Take some time to think about it; that is, if you would, for reasonable compensation, like to offer advice, and a concept, as if "you" were to proceed with it.

"Chuck Norris once ripped a man in half just to see what he had for lunch."     
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 12:17:32 AM by ronchamblin »

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #61 on: January 30, 2013, 12:22:30 AM »
Actually Stephen, the idea occured to me that you might like to do a consulting project, for pay of course, and somewhat informal, concerning the proposed restaurant next door.  If you thought you might, you could take a little time to think about it, as if it was your building, and your restaurant.  In other words, you could decide what "you" would do in my position.

This would be valuable to me, as, surely you've the experience, and being in the area longer than me, you could "feel" the enviroment and arrive, via gut input, at an opinion as to what type of operation would be best for the location.

Take some time to think about it; that is, if you would, for reasonable compensation, like to offer advice, and a concept, as if "you" were to proceed with it.

Thanks for the offer, Ron, but I made up my mind to stick with publishing for the time being.

The city is full of smart competent people though.  Im sure you will find someone.  Especially within your time frame. ;)
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

Pinky

« Reply #62 on: January 30, 2013, 12:26:25 AM »
Love the restaurant idea, although I'd ditch the in-store coffee counter and replace the in-store tables with couches and comfy reading stuff.  If folks want food they can run right next door and either bring food back or eat there.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 12:28:24 AM by Pinky »

ronchamblin

« Reply #63 on: January 30, 2013, 12:35:21 AM »

Thanks for the offer, Ron, but I made up my mind to stick with publishing for the time being.

The city is full of smart competent people though.  Im sure you will find someone.  Especially within your time frame. ;)

Well....... okay..... I was thinking of only $3,000 or $4,000 in any case..... just for informal input... a walk through... ideas etc.  But..... okay.... I'll look elsewhere.  Thanks for considering.

"Never use the phrase.... eat my heart out.... around Chuck Norris.  He will."

stephendare

• Metro Jacksonville
  • truth beauty art and love
    • MetroJacksonville
« Reply #64 on: January 30, 2013, 12:37:25 AM »

Well....... okay..... I was thinking of only $3,000 or $4,000 in any case..... just for informal input... a walk through... ideas etc.  But..... okay.... I'll look elsewhere.  Thanks for considering.

"Never use the phrase.... eat my heart out.... around Chuck Norris.  He will."

no problem.  Good luck!

If you can't find anyone over the next couple of years let me know.  I can help you find someone!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 12:40:58 AM by stephendare »
And now abide faith, hope and love; these three, but the greatest of these is love

ronchamblin

« Reply #65 on: January 30, 2013, 12:57:28 AM »
Love the restaurant idea, although I'd ditch the in-store coffee counter and replace the in-store tables with couches and comfy reading stuff.  If folks want food they can run right next door and either bring food back or eat there.

Thanks Pinky.  Occasionally someone will mention the soft chair idea.  This takes more room.  And, as you say, it could be accomplished if the smaller cafe was closed.  Still thinking about this option.  But....yes, the soft chairs would be an improvement.

PeeJayEss

« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2013, 08:29:53 AM »
If I was making a dream restaurant, I would just find the Chomp Chomp guys (Ian, Mark, John), throws as much money as I could afford at them, and try to corrupt them into doing Chomp Chomp on a larger scale, on the bottom floor of 225.

KPD

« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2013, 10:33:20 AM »
The issue of Dwell that I told you about yesterday is September 2009 and the article is called Hoagie's Heroes. This is the link: http://www.dwell.com/magazine/city-life. I hope this gives you some ideas!

Non-RedNeck Westsider

• Politically Agnostic
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2013, 04:49:43 PM »
Like you and your project, Ron.

Because he can.

Painting Bruce Lee Using Kung Fu
A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
-Douglas Adams

ronchamblin

« Reply #69 on: January 30, 2013, 10:03:19 PM »
N-R Westsider  :).  KPD, the article in Dwell...... the building is very close in appearance to 225 Laura.  The article gave me some ideas about avoiding expensive modern materials and methods when  possible, keeping whenever practicle, any older aspects of the building intact.  On the sides, the brick goes back only about twenty feet or so, a process perhaps common in those days.  I suppose they figured.. when the buildings are so close, why worry about the appearance of the hidden sides.

The feedback and thoughts about the building cause me to become anxious to start the work.  Won't be long now. I must buy a dump-trailor for the cleanout and early demo, one with six-foot high sides, about 15 feet long.  The dumping ability allows one to simply drive to a county dump, such as Trail Ridge (?), the one just off 301, near Baldwin, and dump the stuff.  It takes much too long to unload a standard fixed trailer.  We will either build or buy some kind of chute, placing it between one of the windows and the trailer.  All kinds of "stuff" is in the building, and much to discard.  We will keep the cast iron tubs however, and hopefully use them in the apartments. 

Onward.

"Chuck Norris does not hunt because the word hunting implies the possibility of failure.  Chuch Norris goes killing." 

ronchamblin

« Reply #70 on: May 11, 2014, 07:19:29 PM »
In the interest of offering information to my fellow MJ persons who might, in future, do a small renovation project downtown, I have copied a note I recently sent to my general contractor (not yet fully let loose upon the project), informing of the status on the 225 Laura Bldg (former Gus' location), and the plan for progress.  I convey this so that some, who might think it difficult to "do" a small project, might see that any project can be done in steps ... gradually, and without huge money outlays until the general contractor is let loose upon it.  I have already had the asbestos survey ($1,000), and the asbestos removal via a certified contractor ($1,800).  The only area in the building having asbestos was about 400 sq. ft. of carpet on the ground floor, which had a type of mastic containing asbestos.  All we are doing now is clean out, and some removal of surface material.

I have purchased a heavy steel hydraulic dump trailer ( 7' x 15' w/5' sides), which I pull with my box truck. This trailer allows us to load junk, trash, and sheet rock etc and take it immediately to the dump on Hwy 301.  It costs according to weight.  Our five loads so far have averaged only $60 each.  Having the dump trailer precludes us having to pay for a huge dumpster, taking up space on the street, like the one that has been taking up space in front of the Snyder Memorial Church for many weeks.  We load the trailer in about one hour.

If any of you "do" a project in the downtown core, and wish to rent the trailer at a "very minimal cost", let me know.  I don't want to get into the trailer rental business, but if your work is a downtown core project, and if I can help you, I wish to do so.  :)           

(to contractor)

Update.  Most of the surface material (wall and ceiling) on the lower floor has been removed, exposing the structure to ease the work for the architect, the structural engineer, and all contractors (electrical, mechanical, plumbing, and sprinklers).

It appears that the center wall on the lower floor, the wall going east to west for the length of the building, was installed at some point after the original construction and use of the building.  This wall appears to have been installed as load bearing, although the large joists supporting the second floor (old type, full 2" x 12") go the entire width of the building, each being about 29' in length. 

If possible -- and we will have to get the opinion, drawings, and sign-off of the structural fellow --   it would be convenient if we could "sister" these joists between the first and second floor with perhaps 8" steel channel so that we can remove all columns and walls on the first floor. -- making it "wide open".  Whether or not this is feasible of course, depends on the integrity of the outer walls supporting the existing joists, and the calculations and recommendations of the engineer.

It might be convenient, regarding the planning of the lower floor if, within a few weeks, we had the structural fellow visit and make a determination as to the feasibility of sistering the steel channel on all the joists to allow removal of the center wall, columns, and beam on the lower level.  Most of the original 4" x 8" wood columns on this wall (about 12' apart) have old termite damage, and have been replaced, perhaps decades ago, by two new 4" x 8" wood columns placed adjacent.  There is old termite damage on two areas on the main east/west beam placed atop the columns.  If the structural fellow decides to keep the columns and beam, I expect he will recommend either sistering this beam with 8" steel channel, or its complete replacement.

Soon, we can get Fred Podris to finalize the layout of the apartments and the lower level.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2014, 07:35:39 PM by ronchamblin »

AuditoreEnterprise

• audentes fortuna juvat
    • Auditore Enterprise, Inc
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2014, 07:35:30 PM »
In the interest of offering information to my fellow MJ persons who might, in future, do a small renovation project downtown, I have copied a note I recently sent to my general contractor, informing of the status on the 225 Laura Bldg (former Gus' location), and the plan for progress.  I convey this so that some, who might think it difficult to "do" a small project, might see that any project can be done in steps ... gradually, and without huge money outlays until the general contractor is let loose upon it.  I have already had the asbestos survey ($1,000), and the asbestos removal via a certified contractor ($1,800).  The only area in the building having asbestos was about 400 sq. ft. of carpet on the ground floor, which had a type of mastic containing asbestos.  All we are doing now is clean out, and some removal of surface material.

I have purchased a heavy steel hydraulic dump trailer ( 7' x 15' w/5' sides), which I pull with my box truck. This trailer allows us to load junk, trash, and sheet rock etc and take it immediately to the dump on Hwy 301.  It costs according to weight.  Our five loads so far have averaged only $60 each.  Having the dump trailer precludes us having to pay for a huge dumpster, taking up space on the street, like the one that has been taking up space in front of the Snyder Memorial Church for many weeks.  We load the trailer in about one hour.

If any of you "do" a project in the downtown core, and wish to rent the trailer at a "very minimal cost", let me know.  I don't want to get into the trailer rental business, but if your work is a downtown core project, and if I can help you, I wish to do so.  :)           

(to contractor)

Update.  Most of the surface material (wall and ceiling) on the lower floor has been removed, exposing the structure to ease the work for the architect, the structural engineer, and all contractors (electrical, mechanical, plumbing, and sprinklers).

It appears that the center wall on the lower floor, the wall going east to west for the length of the building, was installed at some point after the original construction and use of the building.  This wall appears to have been installed as load bearing, although the large joists supporting the second floor (old type, full 2" x 12") go the entire width of the building, each being about 29' in length. 

If possible -- and we will have to get the opinion, drawings, and sign-off of the structural fellow --   it would be convenient if we could "sister" these joists between the first and second floor with perhaps 8" steel channel so that we can remove all columns and walls on the first floor. -- making it "wide open".  Whether or not this is feasible of course, depends on the integrity of the outer walls supporting the existing joists, and the calculations and recommendations of the engineer.

It might be convenient, regarding the planning of the lower floor if, within a few weeks, we had the structural fellow visit and make a determination as to the feasibility of sistering the steel channel on all the joists to allow removal of the center wall, columns, and beam on the lower level.  Most of the original 4" x 8" wood columns on this wall (about 12' apart) have old termite damage, and have been replaced, perhaps decades ago, by two new 4" x 8" wood columns placed adjacent.  There is old termite damage on two areas on the main east/west beam placed atop the columns.  If the structural fellow decides to keep the columns and beam, I expect he will recommend either sistering this beam with 8" steel channel, or its complete replacement.

Soon, we can get Fred Podris to finalize the layout of the apartments and the lower level.

It was a wise decision to do as much as you could on your own accord before releasing the kraken on the building. Sometimes I don't get where the numbers actually come from, but hey everyone wants to make money right :) .. That being said I agree with what you are doing to minimize cost and I also recommend this method to those who don't have an extensive budget or labor on hand to do a project. It does in fact save a fortune in the long run. I have recommended the same to others I have talked to. Good work on the building Ron keep it up :)
"Aiming to build a better community one stone at a time"

CHECK US OUT ON FACEBOOK

IrvAdams

« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2014, 09:07:27 PM »
^Absolutely. Keep it up, Ron, I am so looking forward to seeing what you come up with for that space. It is a terrific location. You are doing an important service for us all.
“He who controls others may be powerful, but he who has mastered himself is mightier still”
- Lao Tzu

ProjectMaximus

« Reply #73 on: May 11, 2014, 09:25:20 PM »
Love the updates, Ron, and looking forward to seeing it move forward!